Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:17:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cancelled People Whose Work You Still Enjoy

Started by Satchmo Distel, June 30, 2020, 11:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

I decided to look him up as I haven't seen anything he's done for years, and fuck me has he lost it:

QuoteIf Biden is elected, there's a good chance you will be dead within the year.

https://twitter.com/scottadamssays/status/1278309835453284357?s=21

ollyboro

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 02, 2020, 07:51:52 AM
A lot of people in Nottingham still have a soft spot for Brian Clough even though he was a homophobic bully who might have contributed to Justin Fashanu's suicide. I used to, but about 5 years ago, I realised that how dishonest it was and I can't overlook it any more.
As abhorrent as Clough's behaviour towards Fashanu was, I doubt it had anything to do with his suicide. Fashanu's suicide note was explicit in giving his reasons. By the time he hanged himself he had long stopped hiding his homosexuality, so I doubt comments made to him a decade and a half previously would even occur to him. What we can say for certain is he was accused of three counts of sexual assault, didn't think he'd get a fair trial and was going through the process all footballers fear - the end of his playing days.

I think the Langham "buggery" charge related to a 14 year old girl, so the age of consent being 16 would not have saved him if he'd been found guilty. The person under 16 is not deemed to have committed an offence because it is classed as a rape. See also Jonathan King, who was acquitted of one of his charges because the complainant could not remember if he had already turned 16 at the time.

https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/buggery

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 02, 2020, 09:54:37 AM
I decided to look him up as I haven't seen anything he's done for years, and fuck me has he lost it:

QuoteIf Biden is elected, there's a good chance you will be dead within the year.
https://twitter.com/scottadamssays/status/1278309835453284357?s=21

I was reading Adams wikipedia page and most of the time had thoughts along the lines of "Well I don't agree with that, but he doesn't seem cancellation-worthy" but then right at the end there's that comment about Republicans being hunted down if Biden wins the election, and also "In 2020, Adams claimed that the Dilbert television series was cancelled because he's white" and yeah, he does seem to have gone quite mad recently, to the extent that I wonder if it's a medical condition.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: thenoise on July 02, 2020, 07:08:09 AM
I blame HIGNFY in general and Ian Hislop in particular for the rise and eventual conquering of the English mind by Lol Boris, Lol Mogg and all the barely ironic veneration of upper class 'characters', as portrayed by loathsome Tory cunts. A generation of people who are proud of the fact that they dont take politics seriously, but it doesn't stop them fucking voting does it.

Private eye is still worth a read through though.

Mogg (my local MP - no, I did NOT vote for him) himself attributes his rapid rise solely to HIGNFY.  His wife is equally as appalling - she likes to brag about and show off her wealth in public.  I've mentioned on here before about a neighbouring village summer fete we went to a few years ago that the Moggs (including their offspring - all dressed like they were there for the Henley regatta) were at, and I heard Mrs Mogg talk about how expensive her handbag ("It's Fendi") and new baby buggy were.  And also how Mogg's mum has been trying to sell off some environmentally sensitive greenbelt in her estate for years, purely for executive housing development and purely, by her own admission, for the money.  Which she doesn't need.  And nor does the rest of the family.  And how Mogg roped in (or perhaps it was voluntary) his eldest son to stand outside a local tattoo place run by a lesbian couple for a "down with this sort of thing - we must retain traditional British family values" type photo op (which fortunately backfired massively, but unfortunately the backfiring didn't even make local news let alone national).

An absolutely loathsome family.  I know of one genuinely decent humane thing Mogg has done in the last 18 months (that I can't post about as he's not even mentioned it publicly himself - suspect he's keeping it up his sleeve for a rainy day), but otherwise, as a whole, they make the Johnsons look like an utterly reasonable bunch of lads by comparison.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 02, 2020, 10:40:37 AM
I was reading Adams wikipedia page and most of the time had thoughts along the lines of "Well I don't agree with that, but he doesn't seem cancellation-worthy" but then right at the end there's that comment about Republicans being hunted down if Biden wins the election, and also "In 2020, Adams claimed that the Dilbert television series was cancelled because he's white" and yeah, he does seem to have gone quite mad recently, to the extent that I wonder if it's a medical condition.

I read an article about his claims about the TV Series. It contained a response tweet where someone repeated his comments and posted a clip from the TV series. I thought the clip was quite funny. Reading the thread though the clip was supposed to be a "gotcha" about how lame and unfunny the show was, to show that was why it was cancelled. Not sure what my point is here, just thought I'd share.

I do remember hearing he was unwell about 10 years ago, but that was a medical rather than mental health issue IIRC.

madhair60

Scott Adams yeah. I still like Dilbert and reading the old ones makes me chuckle. He has gone mental though sadly. I gave him the benefit of the doubt for ages because his Trump stuff came off as satirical, like he was leaning into a character rather than offering his sincere thoughts. But, er, that no longer seems to be the case. It's so strange that the creator of the Pointy-haired Boss can turn into a Trump cheerleader.

Louis CK, the cunt, still makes me laugh.

Dave Chappelle, is he cancelled? He's absolutely marvellous.

SavageHedgehog

I was never all that bothered about all that stuff that made Louis CK a big deal, but I watched Pootie Tang recently and it's pretty funny.

Brundle-Fly

To be honest, anyone would have to either hurt or slight me personally (or any loved ones) to have their favoured art/ work cancelled by me. Although Morrissey and Louie CK pushed it but I will still enjoy their output although certainly not as much.

Ten more not mentioned yet.

Sean Connery
John Cleese
Andy Partridge
Rick James
Rosanne Barr
Ike Turner
Arthur Mullard
HG Wells
Papa Lazarou
Brigitte Bardot

JaDanketies

Quote from: madhair60 on July 02, 2020, 11:30:10 AM
Dave Chappelle, is he cancelled? He's absolutely marvellous.

Chappelle dug deep and doubled down on insulting / mocking trans people in his recent output. I've not watched much of his stuff but I read about the controversy.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 02, 2020, 11:55:43 AM
Ten Two more not mentioned yet.

John Cleese
Rosanne Barr

Are they cancelled, or just dicks? I've enjoyed both of their works for as long as I've been aware of them, but also been aware that they're potentially shit people for almost as long.

To be honest, anyone would have to either hurt or slight me personally (or any loved ones) to have their favoured art/ work cancelled by me. Although Morrissey and Louie CK pushed it but I will still enjoy their output although certainly not as much.

Sean Connery
John Cleese
Andy Partridge
Rick James
Rosanne Barr
Ike Turner
Arthur Mullard
HG Wells
Papa Lazarou
Brigitte Bardot

I know he was a keen proponent of domestic violence and sexual abuse but I just can't bear the thought of never again listening to his and Hylda Baker's cover of You're The One That I Want.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Sean Connery
John Cleese
Andy Partridge
Rick James
Rosanne Barr
Ike Turner
Arthur Mullard
HG Wells
Papa Lazarou
Brigitte Bardot

I can safely say that I never enjoyed the work of Arthur Mullard in the first place. That cover version of " You're The One That I Want " he did with Hilda Baker at a push, but I think I can get by without ever seeing/ hearing that again.( Posted this while yer man of steel was making his post, it would seem.)

What have H G Wells and Andy Partridge done wrong? Hard to keep up with, this cancelling business.

Sherringford Hovis

Alan Partridge

As I descend gracelessly into middle-age fartdom, Coogan's creation becomes less of a comic character and more a magnifying mirror into which I can only bear to briefly glance sidelong - but only from the left, because that's my best side.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 02, 2020, 12:08:08 PM
Are they cancelled, or just dicks? I've enjoyed both of their works for as long as I've been aware of them, but also been aware that they're potentially shit people for almost as long.

John Cleese hasnae done anything too cancellable, just gotten more reactionary and Brexity as He's gotten older. The feller's 80, we can let him off ( unless the OP is referring to the " Spot The Brain Cell" incident at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane in 1974, that *is* dubious).
Roseanne Barr came out with some racist shit not long back, and hasn't been funny for years, so fuck 'er.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 02, 2020, 12:08:08 PM

Barr is definitely full cancelled, she has barely been heard from since she was kicked off the revival of her own eponymous show two years ago. Cleese is just at the gets the stink eye for tweets every so often level, and will probably stay there seeing as he seems to be pretty much retired anyway. I think Dave Chappelle is at a similar status, minus the retired bit.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 02, 2020, 12:36:32 PM
Andy Partridge
https://www.clashmusic.com/news/xtcs-andy-partridge-accused-of-anti-semitic-tweets

I think it's a very small number of people who would 'cancel' someone for tweets like that, i.e. about Corbyn getting called an anti-semite and about Israel.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 02, 2020, 12:44:43 PM
I think it's a very small number of people who would 'cancel' someone for tweets like that, i.e. about Corbyn getting called an anti-semite and about Israel.

It's certainly a hot topic. Deactivated his account after the pile on. Shame, as I used to enjoy his feed.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: kalowski on July 02, 2020, 07:17:37 AM
I too would like an answer to this question.

Me too.  And not just for an excuse to drop a pun. 

touchingcloth

Interesting on the Barr stuff. I don't follow her career at all but loved Roseanne when I first saw it. I watched it some time after realising that I'm socially liberal, and the working class hero narrative resonating with that, and I think there was stuff in there about trade unions and co-parenting and whatnot. I also last watched it before the BNP > UKIP > Brexit snowball developed[nb]A massive oversimplification I know, but I definitely became painfully aware of certain aspects of British politics when Farage and Griffin started getting regular airtime on Question Time.[/nb], so I can well imagine on a rewatch I'd start noticing elements of working class fucktard.

Have we had Michael Richards yet, or does he even qualify as cancelled these days? I remember being viscerally angry at his racist outburst and I can't help but seeing the man in an unfavourable light now even though something in the back of my mind tells me he didn't do an awful job of apologising and giving an account of his behaviour. My perception of the man himself was present all the way through seeing him on Comedians In Cars Getting Covfefe, but it is completely wiped from my mind whenever I see Kramer on screen, and that character is enough to stop you even contemplating the idea that he's played by an actor.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 02, 2020, 07:51:52 AM
A lot of people in Nottingham still have a soft spot for Brian Clough even though he was a homophobic bully who might have contributed to Justin Fashanu's suicide. I used to, but about 5 years ago, I realised that how dishonest it was and I can't overlook it any more.

I read this as John Fashanu and thought it was an 0bvi0us thing.

Paul Calf

Am I reading this right? H G Wells had a load of consensual extra-marital affairs and now he's cancelled?

Fucking hell. You people are fucking scary.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 02, 2020, 02:12:01 PM
Am I reading this right? H G Wells had a load of consensual extra-marital affairs and now he's cancelled?

Fucking hell. You people are fucking scary.

It's been a long old time since I looked at Cracked, but I think their process for assembling articles runs along these lines:

• Think of a clickbait title, e.g. "X [items] you won't BELIEVE did [thing]"
  • Google [item] [thing], add hit to article
  • Repeat step 2 X times
  • Read article back, checking whether each addition to the article matches the title
  • If so, publish
  • If not, publish
  • Goto 1

Paul Calf

Yeah. I mean, some of their articles are quite diverting but I wouldn't use any of them as a reason to cancel someone.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 02, 2020, 02:12:01 PM

That seems to be it. Not only cancelled but a "pervert".

Petey Pate

H G Well's utopian novel The Shape of Things to Come has some dodgy anti-Irish sentiments in it, if I recall correctly. Nothing unusual for the time period though.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Petey Pate on July 02, 2020, 04:27:35 PM
H G Well's utopian novel The Shape of Things to Come has some dodgy anti-Irish sentiments in it, if I recall correctly. Nothing unusual for the time period though.

Now you say it, is War of The Worlds (I haven't read it) some allegory on an early Great Replacement / Protocols of Zion theme? It sounds plausible now that I type it out, so even if it's not true about H G Wells, I think that what it tells us about H G Wells is true.

JaDanketies

I believe H P Lovecraft was racist, sexist and homophobic, and the whole premise of Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad is racist. I think we expect a lot from these older authors if we're hoping that they did not have prejudiced thinking.

Dickens, who is often criticised for antisemitism in the character of Fagin, was incredibly apologetic about it, took amends, rewrote the book, etc.

There's even a racist bit in Lord of the Flies:

"Which is better—to be a pack of painted n*ggers like you are, or to be sensible like Ralph is?

Which is better—to have rules and agree, or to hunt and kill?

Which is better, law and rescue, or hunting and breaking things up?"

- this is Piggy, too, the voice of reason and intellect. The extended metaphor in the book is like 'dark is bad', too.