Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:44:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cancelled People Whose Work You Still Enjoy

Started by Satchmo Distel, June 30, 2020, 11:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazyhour

garbed_attic

I have a certain fondness for Lena Dunham and 'Girls', but that's mostly due to OCD affinities. Most of the autobio comics people I loved when younger - Joe Matt, Chester Brown, David Heatley, Ariel Schrag - probably should have been cancelled, but the combination of self-deprication and relative obscurity means they won't be. Momus is really obviously a wrong 'un, which makes me queasy about enjoying his work. Um... Favid Foster Wallace?

jobotic

garbed_attic

Quote from: jobotic on July 28, 2020, 10:45:43 AM
What's wrong with Momus?

I'm wary of anything Neil would take against me posting so I would suggest searching C&B archives for him.

While Kelsey Grammer isn't actually cancelled, I choose to ignore his politics when enjoying Frasier.

imitationleather

Quote from: lazyhour on July 28, 2020, 10:05:17 AM
Andy Partridge has said several other gross and weird conspiracy theory things relating to Judaism (not just Israel) over the last year. Definitely too much to be batted away with a "cuh, everyone's getting cancelled nowadays!" response.

I'm struggling to find some of the examples I found first time I looked into this, but there's a tweet questioning the total number of Jews actually killed in the Holocaust for starters.

Ohhhh noooo!

Wiley was one thing but not Andy Partridge too!

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: gout_pony on July 28, 2020, 10:50:12 AM
I'm wary of anything Neil would take against me posting so I would suggest searching C&B archives for him.

It was tittle-tattle and out of order to post it.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 28, 2020, 04:49:20 AM

If you discard the work of every single "cancelled" person on the planet I guarantee there will be more than enough other work by other people to take its place. (Until they too get cancelled, probably.)

I think the problem is with some of the ridiculous cancellations, Florence Pugh for example:

Quotea fan had recently called her out on Instagram for appropriating Rastafarian culture as a 17-year-old

which then draws headlines like "Florence Pugh Accused Of Being 'Racist'" which a lot of people won't even take the time to look into. She was also cancelled by a lot of fans because of her relationship with Zach Braff, like that's anybody's business.

I just generally hate the social media culture (particularly on Twitter) of people using the platform to air petty grievances or personal prejudice on a daily basis just so they can get likes/followers for a snarky comment, which then snowballs into en masse pitchfork wielding.

lazyhour

Bit more about Andy Partridge here:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1129555821128441857.html

I've tried and failed to find the original posts that this article is referring to, because I've seen them and they are somehow even worse than the filleted version presented in the above link.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 28, 2020, 04:49:20 AM
If you discard the work of every single "cancelled" person on the planet I guarantee there will be more than enough other work by other people to take its place. (Until they too get cancelled, probably.)

I absolutely agree with you and though it's perhaps a little easier for me as I tend not to rewatch things very often, even if I love them, I think the only example that I'd fail with is The Simpsons. It's just the ultimate example of comfort tv for me, and the one and only thing I reach for if I'm really struggling, and to have a life without it would be really difficult.

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 28, 2020, 11:26:38 AM
She was also cancelled by a lot of fans because of her relationship with Zach Braff, like that's anybody's business.

That's ridiculous, I hate Zach Braff more than any man alive but I'd never even begin to think that someone should be cancelled just because they had some sort of breakdown and dated him. I mean, sure, she needs psychological help and I'd be happy to donate to a kickstarter to fund it, but nothing more than that.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: lazyhour on July 28, 2020, 02:09:55 PM
Bit more about Andy Partridge here:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1129555821128441857.html

I've tried and failed to find the original posts that this article is referring to, because I've seen them and they are somehow even worse than the filleted version presented in the above link.

That seemed quite a reasonable response from the writer. He hasn't consigned him to the dustbin. Partridge's temperament meant he was never really cut out for Twitter and he was naive to think you could have a proper discussion on there about such a thorny subject. Partridge has come back from worse. He still receives death threats for Dear God and his "Jesus was a terrorist" comment from decades ago. He's deactivated his account and has gone back to the shed to concentrate on music. Good. Maybe it's been a blessing in disguise. 

BTW Did Bobby Gillespie get cancelled for his comments?

QDRPHNC

GoblinAhFuckScary

Not sure if they've had a 'cancelling', but Brainbombs honestly have the finest riffs of basically any minimalist noise-rock band.

Too bad all the lyrics are about raping women and often worse.

Oz Oz Alice

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on July 28, 2020, 08:50:40 PM
Not sure if they've had a 'cancelling', but Brainbombs honestly have the finest riffs of basically any minimalist noise-rock band.

I think you can't get cancelled at the Brainbombs level. I mean Mikko Aspa has said and done some absolutely disgusting things and he's still a big name in the noise world. They're not stuff you reference in an Instagram bio between heart emojis that's for sure.

non capisco

Eurrggghh, Andy. Go back in time and listen to some of your own lyrics on songs like 'Knuckle Down' and 'The Loving', you strange man.

Oh well. I suppose I still listen to Bowie all the time and he allegedly fucked kids. I can always do the thing where I imagine the songs are being played by me and my mates in another strand of the non capisco multiverse.

non capisco

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 28, 2020, 05:38:56 PM
BTW Did Bobby Gillespie get cancelled for his comments?

I've heard from another poster on here that Bobby Gillespie once deliberately cracked a random audience member's head open with the end of a microphone stand during an onstage appearance with Dinosaur, Jr. Cancel him for that and that pissweak Primal Scream song 'Star' where he sang about Rosa Parks being dead when she still had about ten years left in her. Admittedly I made the same mistake on here once with pickled onion magnate and film critic Barry "and why's that?" Norman but CANCEL HIM ANYWAY.

JaDanketies

Sebastian Cobb

"krazyhokilla would never do a thing like that!"

Brundle-Fly

jobotic

Bobby Gillespie should be cancelled for that version of Some Velvet Morning, as should everyone involved, right down to the people that produced the CD cases. Also for Kasabian.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

What is Bobby Gillespie for? He can't sing, he can't dance, he looks awful, he'll go a long way, his lyrics are dreadful, he's a laughably earnest music bore, he has no wit, no charisma, and all of Primal Scream's best music was made by people more talented than him. What is point?

He had a nice shiny mop-top in the early '90s, though, I'll give him that.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

It is. "Let's go back to forgetting his already forgotten films." Harold Lloyd may have been a massive racist, but I cannot stand the glib, snickering tone of articles like that.

Racism is worse, obviously.