Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:55:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cancelled People Whose Work You Still Enjoy

Started by Satchmo Distel, June 30, 2020, 11:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProvanFan

Harry Badger

Quote from: ProvanFan on July 29, 2020, 01:28:19 AM
Making and distributing Nude Photo

Splendid. I recently acquired a very decent copy of this on Discogs.

zomgmouse

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 29, 2020, 12:42:42 AM
can we cancel who wrote that article, because it is awful

implying that groucho's career is only remembered as novelty glasses. THE STATE OF THAT

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 29, 2020, 12:50:14 AM
It is. "Let's go back to forgetting his already forgotten films." Harold Lloyd may have been a massive racist, but I cannot stand the glib, snickering tone of articles like that.

Racism is worse, obviously.
Even 100 years ago this must've been a bit iffy : https://youtu.be/0bU7cxLLVBI?t=1743

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: Mr Banlon on July 29, 2020, 05:58:03 AM
Even 100 years ago this must've been a bit iffy : https://youtu.be/0bU7cxLLVBI?t=1743

Good enough for The Phantom Menace 80 years later.

EOLAN

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 28, 2020, 11:02:27 AM
Details in this Cracked article, I read recently.

https://www.cracked.com/article_27602_5-super-dark-old-timey-celebrity-scandals.html

That article can't even count properly.
Waiting for Matthew Broderick to get on to some of these cancelled lists.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 29, 2020, 12:50:14 AM
It is. "Let's go back to forgetting his already forgotten films." Harold Lloyd may have been a massive racist, but I cannot stand the glib, snickering tone of articles like that.

Racism is worse, obviously.

The writing on Cracked is extremely erratic and can be very smug but they're some good stuff to be found as well. They do imply that Harold Lloyd might have been smeared by the Hollywood vultures, like Fatty Arbuckle.

JaDanketies

Learned today that Marilyn Manson had a relationship with an 18 year old that was marred by psychological and physical abuse. He admits it himself and his ex Evan Rachel Wood is clearly still scarred by it.

When they were inventing all these rumours about him being terrifying in high school, they should've just said the truth. Awful person.

Also he sexually assaulted that security guard.

king_tubby

PlanktonSideburns

king_tubby

Dude, mate, come on. The Nation of Ulysses. The mAKE uP. Quality bands.

Quote from: Mr Banlon on July 29, 2020, 05:58:03 AM

Fairly standard antisemitism of the time. The US introduced immigration quotas in the 1920s with the implicit purpose of restricting immigration of Eastern European Jews.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: king_tubby on July 29, 2020, 10:31:02 PM
Dude, mate, come on. The Nation of Ulysses. The mAKE uP. Quality bands.

They do look ace in their gold suits granted. I've heard their abusive cunts tho so I'll swerve it

shagatha crustie

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 29, 2020, 09:42:49 PM
Learned today that Marilyn Manson had a relationship with an 18 year old that was marred by psychological and physical abuse. He admits it himself and his ex Evan Rachel Wood is clearly still scarred by it.

When they were inventing all these rumours about him being terrifying in high school, they should've just said the truth. Awful person.

Also he sexually assaulted that security guard.

Oh dear. I'd always thought Manson seemed like a really intelligent, thoughtful, compassionate dude, in direct contrast to his persona and theatrical histrionics.

JaDanketies

Quote from: shagatha crustie on July 30, 2020, 11:02:08 AM
Oh dear. I'd always thought Manson seemed like a really intelligent, thoughtful, compassionate dude, in direct contrast to his persona and theatrical histrionics.

Yeah that was my thoughts too. He's too intelligent for there to be any mitigation.

garbed_attic

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 29, 2020, 09:42:49 PM

I think psychological and physical abuse understates it - sexual and physical torture, including rape combined with torture, by her account.

JaDanketies

Quote from: gout_pony on July 30, 2020, 11:38:21 AM
I think psychological and physical abuse understates it - sexual and physical torture, including rape combined with torture, by her account.

His former bassist and guitarist Twiggy Ramirez also got accused of rape and being an abusive shithead to his ex-partner Jessika. Bad news all round.

Pancake

Does Jacko count as cancelled? I 100% believe the kids who've spoken up about their experiences but I love the records enough to still spin them without any problems.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Pancake on July 30, 2020, 02:06:54 PM
Does Jacko count as cancelled? I 100% believe the kids who've spoken up about their experiences but I love the records enough to still spin them without any problems.

Can't cancel the dead! We love Jacko in this house, or at least his music.

The Simpsons no longer air the episode Stark Raving Dad with Jacko in it and Al Jean said that he thinks MJ used it to groom kids

popcorn

Quote from: Pancake on July 30, 2020, 02:06:54 PM

Surely MJ is the grandest cancellation experiment of all. When the latest layer of child abuse allegations came out it spawned a cottage industry of opinion pieces pondering whether it was still OK to like Billie Jean.

JaDanketies

Gary Glitter is probably comparatively noncey but his songs were just so inferior.

Really, Jacko was The Biggest Pop Star There Will Ever Be and the King of Pop. It's pretty hard to cancel someone who had such phenomenal success. There will likely never be an entertainer as successful as Jacko. It's like cancelling Mohammed.

Famous Mortimer

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Ian Svengropious on July 30, 2020, 03:15:22 PM
It's time for rock and roll to wage war on all those sexual assaults I did. Let's do this people!

Is he looking for a suspended sentence for rousing retoric?

PlanktonSideburns

Makes it sound like he thunks being in a band is an inherently right on thing to do

Dr Rock

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 30, 2020, 02:55:37 PMThere will likely never be an entertainer as successful as Jacko.

Garth Brooks has sold more records than Michael Jackson.

lazyhour

Dr Rock

No. I was looking at US sales. Elsewhere the internet says

QuoteWho is the best selling music artist worldwide?
Perhaps unsurprisingly, British rock band The Beatles are top of the list for best-selling artists worldwide, with 257.7 million certified sales. Second is Elvis Presley with almost 207 million sales, followed by Michael Jackson with 169.7 million

Elvis>Wacko.

JaDanketies

Elvis Presley is the King of Rock and Roll, not the King of Pop. Also he had a head start of several decades when it comes to selling albums anyway

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 30, 2020, 07:45:27 PM
Elvis Presley is the King of Rock and Roll, not the King of Pop

No that's Prefab Sprout you wally.