Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:38:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cancelled People Whose Work You Still Enjoy

Started by Satchmo Distel, June 30, 2020, 11:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbed_attic

Quote from: king_tubby on July 29, 2020, 09:47:13 PM
Ian Svenonius has just come out with a load of bullshit.

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/ian-svenonius-i-have-been-completely-inappropriate-to-women/

That opens up a grubby rabbit hole. It seems like a lot of emo and punk rock artists of the early 00s have now been accused of sexually coercive, predatory behaviour. In terms of the LA scene, there seems to have been men in their early 20s exploiting their positions of power over kids of 16/17. I do wonder how much of Californian rock stars and actors are sex criminals with the age of consent being 18 with no close-in-age exceptions. It's good to see this being addressed, but whether an actual reckoning or justice will take place without legal consequences is anyone's guess. I also think that the reckoning isn't being extended to some many Boomers in the way in did (to a degree) over here with Yewtree. Though, obviously, we have a much lower age of consent.

zomgmouse

On a similar note there's plenty of Australian public figures (performers or otherwise) with very serious allegations against them but due to the nature of our defamation laws it's ludicrously hard for any of those allegations to come to light.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: EOLAN on July 29, 2020, 10:02:21 AM
That article can't even count properly.
Waiting for Matthew Broderick to get on to some of these cancelled lists.

Fortunate for him that it happened in the 80s. $175 fine for killing two women would have him and Jennifer Grey ("couldn't remember anything") cancelled instantly in today's age. That said, I feel like it was a tragic accident as telling of the problem of letting people drive abroad as him being horribly careless. Particularly an American driver's license which doesn't differentiate between automatic and stick shift (so you can learn in an automatic and legally drive a manual) and is so easy to get that pretty much every 16-year old American has one, and you can then drive any car in the UK on arrival without any knowledge of our roads or driving laws.

PlanktonSideburns

He was bombing down country lanes in a sports car wasn't he?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 03, 2020, 12:47:02 PM
Fortunate for him that it happened in the 80s.

When has something that happened in the distant past stopped anybody from getting cancelled?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 05, 2020, 08:51:38 AM
When has something that happened in the distant past stopped anybody from getting cancelled?

But I mean that if it happened today it would be all over social media. It didn't seem to affect his career, looking at his filmography around that time and after.

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 05, 2020, 08:27:22 AM
He was bombing down country lanes in a sports car wasn't he?

I think he just crossed into the wrong lane in a rented BMW?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 05, 2020, 11:04:06 AM
But I mean that if it happened today it would be all over social media. It didn't seem to affect his career, looking at his filmography around that time and after.

I think he just crossed into the wrong lane in a rented BMW?

Ah right. I didn't know about this accident until years after the event.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 05, 2020, 11:57:32 AM
Ah right. I didn't know about this accident until years after the event.

Neither did I. Here's the New York Times from 1987 running a tiny section on page 28 about it with the headline "Matthew Broderick Injured in Car Crash"

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/08/07/arts/matthew-broderick-injured-in-car-crash.html

Shit Good Nose

This may be a Mandela Effect thing, but I'm SURE booze was also involved...

Famous Mortimer

This group has given me a few laughs (and got me banned from the FB Ferris Bueller group).

https://www.facebook.com/matthewbroderickscaraccident/

Mr Banlon

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 03, 2020, 12:47:02 PM
Fortunate for him that it happened in the 80s. $175 fine for killing two women would have him and Jennifer Grey ("couldn't remember anything") cancelled instantly in today's age. That said, I feel like it was a tragic accident as telling of the problem of letting people drive abroad as him being horribly careless. Particularly an American driver's license which doesn't differentiate between automatic and stick shift (so you can learn in an automatic and legally drive a manual) and is so easy to get that pretty much every 16-year old American has one, and you can then drive any car in the UK on arrival without any knowledge of our roads or driving laws.
Was he taking a corner too fast ?

chveik

it's beyond cancellation there, he should've been in jail

Famous Mortimer

Agreed on how much of a piece of piss it is to get a licence over here. Never drove a day in my life before I moved here (at 40), and admittedly I'd been doing a bit of practice with a friend, but halfway through my second lesson, the instructor was all "shall we drive to the testing place and get this done?"

Also, fuck Matthew Broderick.

Mr_Simnock

zomgmouse