Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:55:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cancelled People Whose Work You Still Enjoy

Started by Satchmo Distel, June 30, 2020, 11:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Mark E. Smith was a horrible, misogynistic, misanthropic, speed- addled old drunkard, but I think even his most ardent fans recognise that. He's done quite well, even leaving his first missus to marry his friend's teenage daughter hasnae got himself a full on cancelling, fair play to the feller.

canadagoose

Quote from: Chollis on July 01, 2020, 05:38:54 AM
you are a paedophile
If you're still unsure after this, scan touchingcloth's avatar to activate an instant peodo-test.

here4glinner

I'm not sure if this is too fash-adjacent a thing to say for this forum, but there's a crossover between the people who would say that we should cancel David Bowie for being a 70s rock star who took the virginity of a 15-year-old girl, and people who would say that it is obscene to criticise Mohammed for being a 7th-century political leader who took the virginity of Aisha when she was only 9.

Like "it's wrong to criticise Mohammed based on 21st-century values" but '1970s rock star sleeping with 15-year-olds' was kinda the cultural value of the time, too. It's only retrospectively that we've got a problem with it. I guess the reason why calling out Mohammed is considered fash is because it's construed as an attack on all Muslims, and it might be impossible to untangle this.

I guess my point is, people who say 'Bowie was a pedo' are being quite as bold and iconoclastic as they might think they're being.

Gandhi was also a bit of a pedo iirc.

chveik

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on July 01, 2020, 04:10:39 PM
Also Repulsion.  (I've not seen Chinatown, mind.)

Also The Tenant. and Cul-de-sac.

Ornlu

I think Louis CK is the greatest living comedian, and to this day hold all of his standup in the highest possible regard. Including his latest, post-scandal one, which I'd still very much recommend to fans (and ex-fans) of his work.

I do think a bit less of his character that he'd be so sexually pushy, but AFAIC it doesn't affect his comedy at all, least of all my enjoyment of it. It's all still hilarious. I definitely don't fault him for being broadly unaware of the power dynamics at play in his misconduct, seeing as it took place between 2002-2005.

Louie is also good, but a bit artsy-fartsy at times.

The 'Daddy' film can get to fuck though, that looked like drivel.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

kalowski

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 01, 2020, 08:08:39 PM
Sexually pushy. Fucking hell, mate.
Didn't Pete Townshend use that line in Quadrophenia?

Dewt

Quote from: canadagoose on July 01, 2020, 04:12:40 PM
If you're still unsure after this, scan touchingcloth's avatar to activate an instant peodo-test.
Check he isn't an active dry paedo first. You might need to soak him in water for ten minutes to active him first.

Ornlu

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 01, 2020, 08:08:39 PM
Sexually pushy. Fucking hell, mate.

Admittedly clunky phrasing, but it's not like you can say sexually abusive. Coercive, if that pleaseth you.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Dewt on July 01, 2020, 08:17:54 PM
Check he isn't an active dry paedo first. You might need to soak him in water for ten minutes to active him first.

That's bollocks espoused by people like Delia who haven't kept up with the latest peodo developments. Instant or active dry peodos can be added right away with no need for pre-soaking.

chveik

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 01, 2020, 09:39:00 PM
Has Lars Von Trier been cancelled?

at least twice, with the alleged sexual harassment of Bjork and the Hitler faux-pas at Cannes. he can still work, so I guess it's not a proper cancellation

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: chveik on July 01, 2020, 09:57:16 PM
at least twice, with the alleged sexual harassment of Bjork and the Hitler faux-pas at Cannes. he can still work, so I guess it's not a proper cancellation

Yeah, that's what I thought. The Hitler comment, I took as him just being a bit of a provocateur rather than anything particularly concerning. The Bjork stuff was just hinted at wasn't it? I get the impression that if you willingly pass yourself off as some dickish tool who likes to push boundaries then you don't get cancelled to the extent that a more serious artist would.

SavageHedgehog

I suspect Von Trier's comments might have had more serious consequences if he had said them in the last couple of years. Although he'd probably still be able to get funding for his films in Europe, where #cancelled seems to get lost in translation

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Hey, why would Captain Beefheart get cancelled?

chveik

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 01, 2020, 10:00:34 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought. The Hitler comment, I took as him just being a bit of a provocateur rather than anything particularly concerning.

me neither, but I remember the media losing their shit at that time.

QuoteThe Bjork stuff was just hinted at wasn't it?

at first yes, but during #metoo she detailled what happened to her. there's also all the dodgy stuff at Zentropa
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/nov/13/nine-women-allege-sexual-harassment-and-bullying-at-lars-von-triers-production-firm
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/11/lars-von-trier-production-company-zentropa-allegations

QuoteI get the impression that if you willingly pass yourself off as some dickish tool who likes to push boundaries then you don't get cancelled to the extent that a more serious artist would.

possibly, although von Trier is clearly capable of making 'serious' films.

chveik

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on July 01, 2020, 10:06:45 PM
I suspect Von Trier's comments might have had more serious consequences if he had said them in the last couple of years. Although he'd probably still be able to get funding for his films in Europe, where #cancelled seems to get lost in translation

very true, sadly. Polanski's last film was partly financed by subventions from a french region

Ornlu

Jittlebags

Quote from: chveik on July 01, 2020, 09:57:16 PM

Maybe he's been put into abeyance?

amoral

Quote from: chveik on July 01, 2020, 04:19:50 PM
Also The Tenant. and Cul-de-sac.

Love Repulsion, still haven't seen The Tenant. I need to rectify that.

Sin Agog

Tenant and Cul-de-Sac are my favourites by him.  So much funnier than the vast majority of proper comedies.

Actually, my favourite thing by Von Trier is Riget for the same reason.  I like a dark laugh, I guess.

amoral

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on July 01, 2020, 04:10:39 PM
Also Repulsion.  (I've not seen Chinatown, mind.)

I implore you to watch it. It's not my favorite Polanski film, but it's still terrific. It's got that 70's cinema grime, and Nicholson in his prime. All in all a good time.

Clownbaby

I think I struggle with this most when the person had previously, through a combination of their work and how they came across as a person, seemed genuinely well-adjusted and took pride in having a likeable/humble/decent reputation and then suddenly they're a massive paedo or a serial cheater or just generally a nasty person. It's insincerity that bothers me. I actually feel neutral about transparently abrasive characters (on the milder level of wrongdoing obviously) than people who build a wall of positivity around their deeply festering ugliness. Like Ellen Degeneres. I didn't like her to begin with, but that lurid fake-likeability, it can fuck off. Also building a wall of positivity is very different to acknowledging past shitness and moving in a positive direction after the fact. That's a good trait

If a celebrity whose work I like is generally quite direct about who they are, as grating or possibly bigoted as that may be, it's all there, it's out in the open, it's still a shame but it's not a shock. I know what I'm getting into so I don't quite get invested in the same way as I would with a celeb who seemed like someone I'd like to know as well as liking what they do.

I still like Jeffrey Tambor's work because to me he never appeared to be particularlynice anyway. You can already pick up on a sort of intimidating energy. Morrisey is so dour and very openly full of shite that there's no surprises there either. It's obviously great when people DO hold up as being decent sorts though.

Sherringford Hovis

Scott Adams.

Tie-wearing Dilbert is a wry observance (though patchily actually funny) of white collar absurdity. ID card Dilbert is the impotent mewlings of a senile shitforbrains.

Mr Farenheit

Vitruvius most probably owned slaves or at least didn't speak out against it which is almost as bad, but the idea of firmitas, utilitas, venustas is a classic and inspired some top renaissance architecture.
Also, Ike Turner.

thenoise

I blame HIGNFY in general and Ian Hislop in particular for the rise and eventual conquering of the English mind by Lol Boris, Lol Mogg and all the barely ironic veneration of upper class 'characters', as portrayed by loathsome Tory cunts. A generation of people who are proud of the fact that they dont take politics seriously, but it doesn't stop them fucking voting does it.

Private eye is still worth a read through though.

kalowski

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 01, 2020, 10:16:27 PM
Hey, why would Captain Beefheart get cancelled?
I too would like an answer to this question.

Paul Calf

A lot of people in Nottingham still have a soft spot for Brian Clough even though he was a homophobic bully who might have contributed to Justin Fashanu's suicide. I used to, but about 5 years ago, I realised that how dishonest it was and I can't overlook it any more.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on July 02, 2020, 04:02:16 AM
Scott Adams

It is weird quite how full-on Trump he's gone, even being quoted by the man himself on Twitter who called him an "interesting guy", despite claiming to not have actually voted in 2016, or ever.