Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:25:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kenny Everett on Just A Minute - Download it

Started by Neil, February 26, 2004, 03:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Haha!  I put "wasn't Dan was it?" in reply up there but took it out when reading back through my post.  Yes, top man indeed.  You sent me some cassette stuff years back JAYB, some of which I need to dig out and get encoded!  I did start doing a dedicated Everett site for a while and encoded bits and pieces for it, including the Far Cough gag which I still see cirulating round p2p these days.  If you've got all this stuff encoded these days then I must give you a shout when I can get some blanks (owe you loads of Phil Hendrie stuff as I recall.)

TJ

Quote from: "Neil"Regards the Capital jingles, I think I got them all as one big mp3 from Mr Sloane, but I'll grab that page and check I'm not missing anything, thanks!  Is it the one that starts with:

"Hello hello hello hello hello hello...goodbye!"

Great stuff, I posted a section of it on the general discussion forum last year when someone was idly sniping at jingle collectors.

"Hallo, Swap Shop..." - superb stuff!

Neil, have you still got those Bottom Thirty encodes I did knocking about?

I've got hold of a load more Everett stuff recently, including some of his 1973 Radio 1 shows and a couple of his early singles, which I'll do high quality encodes of at some point.

Pinball

Quote from: "TJ"
Quote from: "Neil"Regards the Capital jingles, I think I got them all as one big mp3 from Mr Sloane, but I'll grab that page and check I'm not missing anything, thanks!  Is it the one that starts with:

"Hello hello hello hello hello hello...goodbye!"

Great stuff, I posted a section of it on the general discussion forum last year when someone was idly sniping at jingle collectors.

"Hallo, Swap Shop..." - superb stuff!

I've got hold of a load more Everett stuff recently, including some of his 1973 Radio 1 shows and a couple of his early singles, which I'll do high quality encodes of at some point.
Look forward to those encodes, TJ! I've got the Aussie DVD of Kenny Everett's Thames show (the 2 Naughty Bits compilations), which includes all the Captain Kremmen cartoons. All great stuff. Have got some Kenny MP3s in my shares on Soulseek in case anyone's interested (username Pinballsoul)...

Neil

Quote from: "TJ""Hallo, Swap Shop..." - superb stuff!

Yep, just dug those out last night funnily enough!  Those'll go some way towards filling an Ev compilation disc.  Also found the previous disc you sent which has some other bits and pieces (The BBC Local Radio Years etc.)

QuoteI've got hold of a load more Everett stuff recently, including some of his 1973 Radio 1 shows and a couple of his early singles, which I'll do high quality encodes of at some point.

Cor brilliant, I'm after more of his singles, what you got?

Ooh!  Just found someone with the 79-80 New Years TV Show, hope I can get it off them.  How many of these are "out there"?

ApexJazz

Interesting to hear those straight (* raises an eyebrow *) tracks from Everett. I think of Kenny as being a better singer than that...he must have had a case of nerves. That aussie DVD is packed and can't recommend it higher.
Nice hearing all those charismatic figures on Just A Minute; I always liked Kenneth Williams in the role of panelist/guest/raging queen...when he's on a show you can always be assured of something happening. anyone have more info about that Steam Video Company show at the end of the link?

And! More Important:  Does anyone have The News Quiz with appearances by Peter Cook?  Bitrate is of no concern!

alan strang

QuoteOoh!  Just found someone with the 79-80 New Years TV Show, hope I can get it off them.  How many of these are "out there"?

Funnily enough, a mate sent me a mail earlier saying he'd gotten hold of this from Soulseek or somesuch. I can't wait - I've not seen it since I was eight years old.

The 'Complete Naughty Bits' doesn't feature the all the Kremmen adventures by the way - there were quite a few others, including standalone cartoons in the New Years specials.

kidsick5000

Just getting back to the show itself for a moment...

Isnt Kenneth Williams a complete twat in this.
He's showing a barely veiled contempt for a dj being allowed on and hates  clearly cant stand that Peter fella.

And is it  just me, or does Williams flounce of in a huff at some point and everyone tries to cover it up?
Listen to it carefully, After the comment "If youre so clever, how come youre in last place" is made to him, he iceily makes a remark about  "itellect not being about promotion"  and then...? hes gone. not a sausage. And the game quickly devolves to the point of letting Kenny E. have 90 seconds instead of 60.

If williams did storm off, and i can fully believe that he did, do you reckon it was a regular occurance?

IGNORE THE ABOVE
Just relistened and he doesnt disappear at all. Must have switched my ears off at some point

Barney Sloane

Quote from: "alan strang"Wonderful stuff. Tell me more about that Beatles Acetates thing, Neil.

The 'Brilliant Kenny Everett' site (www.kennyeverett.co.uk) used to have the complete 'Rock Salmon' serial (some of which appears in an edited form on the 'At The Beeb' release) as Real Audio downloads. The site appears to be down at the moment though. I could upload them somewhere if it doesn't return.

It's back up now:

http://www.kennyeverett.co.uk/rmd

Neil

Ooh thanks Barney!

I've asked some of the ISIHAC collectors on Soulseek but still no joy getting hold of the Ev ones, bum.  

Here's a couple of interesting Nilsson things just for the sake of it.  The first is Eric Idle performing a tune on one of his albums (Flash Harry - which ends with Nilsson's cover of "Bright Side Of Life." - Eric Idle - Harry

And this is something I encoded from a tape JAYB sent me years ago, when I was trying to get a dedicated Everett site up.  I think this is just gorgeus.
Kenny Everett with Harry Nilsson

alan strang

Quote from: "Neil"I think this is just gorgeus.

"Ba-diddly-bum - tchh!"

I've always loved that one. I have a much better (FM quality) clip of  it somewhere if you fancy upgrading!

Actually, I think it also features on one of the shows TJ recently uncovered.

Neil

Ooh smashing, can't wait to hear the whole interview with him!  I've got that New Years Eve show now, JAYB told me over PM that it was repeated on Channel 4 in 1985 which was very surprising.  Also got an undated Video Show but it's not playing properly, hopefully it'll work fine when I can get discs to burn it off and play it on someones DVD Player.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: "Neil"JAYB told me over PM that it was repeated on Channel 4 in 1985
I copied you that Nilsson thing to a cassette, whereas the mp3 version I'll be sending you soon has been nicely dehissed, etc.. so should sound better.

alan strang

Quote from: "Neil"Ooh smashing, can't wait to hear the whole interview with him!

Sadly, that doesn't feature. I don't think the full thing's ever done the rounds - just various shows where Everett shows off about the appearence and plays the tape. I first heard the clip on a Radio 2 compilation put together by Noel Edmonds' company.

Actually, I think you do get to hear him say "Thanks a lot, Harry" (followed by Nilsson murmuring some silliness afterwards) on the compilation, just before it segues into an actual Nilsson song. Nicely done.

QuoteI've got that New Years Eve show now, JAYB told me over PM that it was repeated on Channel 4 in 1985 which was very surprising.

I think that was an earlier one - the 'Too Late For Christmas Show'? Isn't the 79/80 one the 'Will Kenny Everett Make It To 1980 Show'?

I think the SOTCAA page still has a bunch of dates and stuff to use as reference.

Neil

Sadly, that doesn't feature. I don't think the full thing's ever done the rounds - just various shows where Everett shows off about the appearence and plays the tape. I first heard the clip on a Radio 2 compilation put together by Noel Edmonds' company.

Actually, I think you do get to hear him say "Thanks a lot, Harry" (followed by Nilsson murmuring some silliness afterwards) on the compilation, just before it segues into an actual Nilsson song. Nicely done.

Interesting how both The Beatles and Kenny Everett really seemed to look up to Harry Nilsson.

Quote from: "alan strang"
I think that was an earlier one - the 'Too Late For Christmas Show'? Isn't the 79/80 one the 'Will Kenny Everett Make It To 1980 Show'?

I think the SOTCAA page still has a bunch of dates and stuff to use as reference.

I dunno, I'm saving it for tomorrow so I can (a) look forward to watching it and (b) watch it with a few beers.  I did reread the SOTCAA page the other night, I wonder if they ever got hold of "If It's Wednesday..." cause I'm currently nudging *someone* into encoding his copies.  

"Can I say bum on the BBC?"

* name removed so he doesn't get tortured *

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: "alan strang"I think that was an earlier one - the 'Too Late For Christmas Show'? Isn't the 79/80 one the 'Will Kenny Everett Make It To 1980 Show'?
Yeh, the one channel 4 showed on 8.7.95 was "The didn't quite make it in time for christmas video show" (Thames 1.1.79).  I dunno if it's the same Christmas show Neil has.

I've got a copy of another Christmas show that I don't think was shown on UK Gold. It's from 24.12.81, it's his first tv show on the beeb before his first series started in Feb'82.

alan strang

Quote from: "JesusAndYourBush"I've got a copy of another Christmas show that I don't think was shown on UK Gold. It's from 24.12.81, it's his first tv show on the beeb before his first series started in Feb'82.

I'd love to see this. I missed it at the time, for some reason. The first BBC series is remarkable.

Barney Sloane

Quote from: "Neil"Ooh thanks Barney!

I've asked some of the ISIHAC collectors on Soulseek but still no joy getting hold of the Ev ones, bum.  

Here's a couple of interesting Nilsson things just for the sake of it.  The first is Eric Idle performing a tune on one of his albums (Flash Harry - which ends with Nilsson's cover of "Bright Side Of Life." - Eric Idle - Harry

And this is something I encoded from a tape JAYB sent me years ago, when I was trying to get a dedicated Everett site up.  I think this is just gorgeus.
Kenny Everett with Harry Nilsson

Alan's the one to thank, he sent me that link ages ago.  There was a Nilsson interview on one of those Capital mp3s that was doing the rounds - Jonathan King and Cat Stevens were guests on the same episode if memory serves.

TJ

Re: "If It's Wednesday" - as far as I know, no shows were officially archived. All I've ever come across are various clips from Everett's inserts (which presumably survived in his personal archive), a couple of Stanshall monologues (although it should be noted that the widely-circulated 'SS Sausage' and 'Literary Rubbish' are actually from Start The Week and not If It's...), and the 'Everett On Everett' special. If copies are out there, get 'em encoded now!!!

Darrell

I think Apex has the clips on the At the Beeb cassette rather than any off-airs, though I'd love to be corrected.

TJ

Various bits and pieces of the scripts are extant, apparently. I'd love to see those...

Neil

He did a couple of lovely-sounding clips for me ages ago, I think I used them in my first Cook'd and MIx'd thingy.  I believe he needs to dig around for his tapes...

Oh just sorting through the stuff I have found recently and one of them is called "Kenny&HarryPt01-Capital280675.mp3", forgot about that!  Ooh, it sounds smashing quality...

* name removed so people don't torture him *

Darrell

Neil

Kenny Everett Fluffling His Lines  320k

Have you got the Brentfords clip handy alan?  I've searched my mail backup and can't seem to find it...

alan strang

Quote from: "Neil"Have you got the Brentfords clip handy alan?  I've searched my mail backup and can't seem to find it...

I'll dig it out again in a sec.

Neil

Ta!  Must have burnt it off two OS's ago so no bloody idea where it is now, surprised it's not on the PC anymore.  

Anyway, when I was going eBum mad with money I couldn't afford the other week I decided I reaaally wanted this:

Guess how much it went for?  27 quid!  unopened too, I would have loved to rip that open and checked out the slides.  Bloody collectors.  

As I said in the other thread, very much enjoyed Kenny Ev's auto-biog "The Custard Stops At Hatfiled" and would recommend it to ayone who's interested in him.  Too damn short though, but nicely illustrated through-out and cheap copies seem to turn up ln the auction sites pretty regularly.  

Just checked the SOTCAA article to see what they make of the Cleo Rocos book and notice that Jimmy Cliff is credited for "I Want My Baby Back" where it was actually Jimmy Cross.

Bert Thung

Quote from: "Neil"As I said in the other thread, very much enjoyed Kenny Ev's auto-biog "The Custard Stops At Hatfiled" and would recommend it to ayone who's interested in him.  Too damn short though, but nicely illustrated through-out and cheap copies seem to turn up ln the auction sites pretty regularly.  

Just checked the SOTCAA article to see what they make of the Cleo Rocos book and notice that Jimmy Cliff is credited for "I Want My Baby Back" where it was actually Jimmy Cross.

"The Custard Stops At Hatfield" is a fantastic read.  It's the life I want to think he lived, rather than the emotional wreck that comes across in David Lister's "In The Best Possible Taste"

I only discovered last week that The Fall did a cover of Steve Bent's sublime bottom 30 classic  "I'm Going To Spain"

Pinball

I ordered the Kremmen the Movie DVD from HMV.com.au (already have the Aussie Kenny Everett DVD). Why is only Oz getting this Kenny goodness?? Also, when will CNNNN be released, as it looks Day Today-tastic?! I'd also recommend Kath & Kim in case anyone else is Oz-obsessed. I wasn't terribly impressed with the Micallef DVD set, altho disk 2 is a lot better than the earlier material on disk 1. The other one worth mentioning is the Late Show DVD set, which includes many of the D Generation cast (some D Gen audio is in my Soulseek shares).

Neil

Ooh, Micallef DVDs?!  Is there any mention of British comedy in the commentaries?  He does seem to crib from Partridge at times, but it's a great show.  Many thanks for the Kath and Kim, you're right there, it's a great show.  I gave the second series to my sister and watch them whenever I'm visiting, very enjoyable...I never really tire of the Del Boy-style mispronouncing of words either.  

Anyway, I've ended up buying the Kenny Ev Loo book!  I do want to get the Cleo Rocos and David Lister books next, although the more I hear about the latter the more depressing it sounds!  I'm sure there's some great info in there.  An emotional wreck though?  Gosh.

Bert Thung

Any chance of Ev stuff being put up in the "influences" section?