Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:43:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Seeing a dead animal

Started by holyzombiejesus, July 01, 2020, 09:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

And this might be worse than seeing a dead animal, but the other week I saw a dog go bombing past our drive entrance - we don't have any near neighbours, so if we see a collared dog like this one it's usually followed by a walker or jogger - without any site of a human with it. We saw it as we were driving out anyway, and coincidentally we kept seeing flashes of it bombing down the lane in front of us, and it was still at it as we approached a T-junction with a larger road. It just ran out into the main road and took a glancing blow to the rear end from the next car, which rammed the brakes on but was still going close to 30 when contact was made, and I think either its entire pelvis or at least an ankle went under the wheels. It wasn't smushed, though, and it limped off on three legs in another direction; we tried to follow it to help it out, but we couldn't find the thing, and there's been no trace of it since. I can't imagine the injury was slight enough to not need a vet, and I still catch myself wondering whether it got home to its owners or just died slowly in a hedge, or trying to fathom what the fuck it was legging it from or to in the first place.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 02, 2020, 12:51:21 AM
guilt at owning a cunt bird killer.

Parts of posts you can sing to " The Rockafeller Skank".
( I really should go to bed)

Mr Eggs

https://projectsplatter.co.uk

NOT LIKE ANY OF YOU ARE ALLOWED CARS.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

One day, you too will be the dead animal. Stick that in your grave and smoke it.

Joe Oakes

Quote from: bgmnts on July 01, 2020, 10:31:48 PM
I usually see a dead bird once a week, on the road or pavement.

That's a lot, are you sure that you're not killing them yourself with an undiscovered superpower?

pancreas

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 02, 2020, 12:32:25 AM
Thing is, it'd probably be more humane just to stomp the poor things into the terrace, and I can't help but feel like I'm only prolonging their suffering for my own peace of mind, and my own sense of glory if one ever managed to fly. But they're never going to fly. Is it better to have had 3 days of insects on tap than to be smushed into the paving in an instant? I don't know.

I was going to say this.

But I really can't tell ... if you're ... exaggerating?

If you really must do something, can't you put a net up to catch them?

Jockice

A few years ago I was driving on a dual carriageway late at night and a fox ran out in front of me. I missed it but it ran straight into the path of the car overtaking me. Horrible.

touchingcloth

Quote from: pancreas on July 02, 2020, 05:19:50 AM
I was going to say this.

But I really can't tell ... if you're ... exaggerating?

If you really must do something, can't you put a net up to catch them?

Not practically, not with the distance a lot of them manage to get from the roof before they drop. We could block up the roof holes so they can't nest there in the first place, but then they'd need to nest somewhere else like a tree (and I've seen fledglings dead on the ground under trees as well) or another house, and they're all constructed in the same way round here with bird friendly roofs above paved terraces.

I think it's just a nature being red in tooth and claw thing and that the existence of the house isn't causing more dead sparrows than there would otherwise be - well, maybe a higher absolute number just because it seems to be such a popular nesting spot, but the ratio is in favour of successful rather than failed fledglings.

Anyway, I won't actually be stomping any sparrows, but I might limit things to putting them in a box somewhere safe and comfortable and not try feeding them any more. Put them on the Liverpool Care Pathway.

BlodwynPig

bgmnts

Quote from: Joe Oakes on July 02, 2020, 03:31:44 AM
That's a lot, are you sure that you're not killing them yourself with an undiscovered superpower?

The town kills them. Something about this place.

alan nagsworth

fucks sake blodwyn, stop posting inappropriate images on this forum. really not cool

touchingcloth

Quote from: bgmnts on July 02, 2020, 12:06:58 PM
The town kills them. Something about this place.

And of your spouses and infant children, how many died in suspicious circumstances?

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 01, 2020, 11:13:14 PM
I dunno. I think food stores have often had pre-butchered dead animals in them.

Well, yeah, but not a dead fox with all maggots festering in it.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 02, 2020, 12:14:15 PM
fucks sake blodwyn, stop posting inappropriate images on this forum. really not cool

Well, It's pretty appropriate themewise, but, yeah, not very nice to look at.
This whole thread is grim, and those fledgling sterling stories are pure upsetting. But I suppose you know what You're letting yourself in for, when clocking the title.

bgmnts

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 02, 2020, 12:30:33 PM
And of your spouses and infant children, how many died in suspicious circumstances?

Some stones are better left unturned.

Also, how can people wolf down burgers, steaks and chicken nuggies and not be okay looking at a dead animal? Weird.

touchingcloth

Quote from: bgmnts on July 02, 2020, 12:40:33 PM
Also, how can people wolf down burgers, steaks and chicken nuggies and not be okay looking at a dead animal? Weird.

I find this odd as well, probably something to do with supermarket packaging keeping us arm's length from the animals a lot of the time. I'm fine looking at dead animals, my issue with the sparrows is watching them in distress.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 02, 2020, 12:31:43 PM
Well, yeah, but not a dead fox with all maggots festering in it.

I'm not talking about things with maggots all over them, just dead things lying there.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 02, 2020, 12:56:37 PM
I find this odd as well, probably something to do with supermarket packaging keeping us arm's length from the animals a lot of the time.

Yeah that's literally the main thing. Obviously you can't escape the fact that a fuckin leg of lamb or whatever looks exactly like a big piece of a carcass but it still doesn't look like a cute little lamb, absolutely nowt like it. Ads for non-animal based foods will often show shit like grains and fruits pouring plentifully, but you'd be up in arms if you saw an advert for McDonald's and it featured footage of an abattoir (of course Troy McClure instantly springs to mind, illustrating my point).

Ornlu

Love it, big fan. I also have to have a little sit down after, but for different reasons.

touchingcloth

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 02, 2020, 02:20:35 PM
Yeah that's literally the main thing. Obviously you can't escape the fact that a fuckin leg of lamb or whatever looks exactly like a big piece of a carcass but it still doesn't look like a cute little lamb, absolutely nowt like it. Ads for non-animal based foods will often show shit like grains and fruits pouring plentifully, but you'd be up in arms if you saw an advert for McDonald's and it featured footage of an abattoir (of course Troy McClure instantly springs to mind, illustrating my point).

I think as a meat eater it's important to get involved with prepping it as closely as possible - pluck the feathers off a chicken, eviscerate a pig, skin a cat. I've been present for killings of animals I've eaten which I also think is important, and the only reason I haven't killed one myself is that I don't trust myself to do it cleanly and quickly. But give me a captive bolt gun long enough and some wellies in which to stand...

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Have seen squirrel corpse down our road in the last month. Wasn't splattered, completely intact.

Last year saw a squirrel get hit by a car. You could see it urgently trying to cross and we were there helpless to stop it. Inevitably it went for it and got run over and killed.

Felt sad about both but the latter was worse. Nature is brutal enough as it is without having to contend with humans and their big hulking trucks. Then again the squirrel might have been a cunt, local bully perhaps. Prospect isn't so bad now.

shiftwork2

Nobody's owning up to any of this so I'll go.  It's been many years since the last time but I have run over two rabbits, a pigeon and a pheasant.  A sickening game pie full of loathing.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: shiftwork2 on July 02, 2020, 05:24:51 PM
Nobody's owning up to any of this so I'll go.  It's been many years since the last time but I have run over two rabbits, a pigeon and a pheasant.  A sickening game pie full of loathing.

You posted this at the time I discovered the dead swan carcass and his grieving widow...see wildlife spotting thread. I'm in tears and you are a bad person. very bad

holyzombiejesus

I accidentally went over a frog with a strimmer, forgot about my humane mousetrap thus letting a fucking tiny mouse starve to death and slept through an alarm which meant that our dog's last remaining puppy died :(

samadriel

My dog killed another five or six possums since my recent "dog killed a possum" thread. We've stopped letting her out late at night now (we were letting her out so she'd do her toileting in the yard rather than in the spare room, but the sheer kill count has led us to just risk the indoor shitting. Fortunately she's held it in 'til we let her out in the mornings so far...) it's quite confronting finding a whole dead possum carried into your house, they're about the size of a small cat. I would've expected more exposure to animal gore on this forum, given the fondness for cats.

madhair60

I made a thread a while back about animals you've accidentally killed and the thread is just fucking gone. It's gone. I can only assume it was deleted because someone posted something actionable in it, but I have no idea what happened.

Thomas

My housemate was driving us home late at night. Dual carriageway. In the white of his right headlight I saw a tiny mouse pelting across the road, directly ahead of the right wheel. I couldn't tell whether it made it clear of the car or disappeared under the tyre.

If it did clear the car, it would have done so by a matter of centimetres, and would've had a great story to tell back at the... burrow? This was months ago, and I still think of that tiny creature.

I've recounted before the time a rook landed in our garden and lay down to die. I tended to him throughout the day, placing him on the softest available pillow of grass, and eventually he expired with a rasping croak, staring me directly in the eyes.

The most upsetting occasion was when our cat was put down. We were all gathered around, petting her gently, and she was looking up at us with the widest eyes, a confused and vulnerable expression. There really was a sense of the life fading from them in some way.

salr

Quote from: shiftwork2 on July 02, 2020, 05:24:51 PM

I passed my driving test at 18, and became a taxi driver to take my sisters to and from parties. No invitation for this nerd but that did not bother me at the time. I just liked driving.

My younger sister had a friend who lived out in the sticks. On the way out to pick her up from a party there I was driving as fast as only a boy-racer can, when I came round a blind corner to see this dumb fucking rabbit sat right in the middle of this 1.5 track lane. No chance to come to a stop. This dumb idiot just sat there and got spattered by the front bumper on my car.

On the way back past the corpse with my sister in the passenger seat, I saw steam rising from the body.

Mebbie it went to that giant watership down in the sky.

can u tell from this post I got a D is english language and lit?

samadriel