Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:29:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Britain to allow up to 3 million Hongkongers to move to UK and become citizens

Started by Mister Six, July 01, 2020, 09:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Zetetic on July 02, 2020, 12:48:28 AM
Is that the focus of the law?

Yes, and that is what prompted the law (in addition to United States meddling - it seems unlikely this would have been enacted if the Trump administration were not currently engaged in a soft power war). You may have missed the months and months of increasingly aggressive protests that the Hong Kong police permitted with far more restraint than we are at this very moment seeing in the US and the UK.

Sadly, Wikipedia has a far more informed and nuanced summary of what the law entails than any Western "news" outlets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_People%27s_Congress_decision_on_Hong_Kong_national_security_legislation

Of course, just like the United States or any other government, it seems plausible that the PRC will use the premise of violence/rioting to justify an overbroad response on the ground. But the notion that Hong Kong has lost its autonomy has little basis in reality.

Quote from: Zetetic on July 02, 2020, 12:48:28 AM
Were violent protests previously permitted in Hong Kong?

I would assume they were not! Yet another reason that it is highly dubious that this legislation has restricted "human rights" that existed in 1997, in contravention of the 50 year agreement.

Urinal Cake

Of course this is political not humanitarian. Only rich and anti-China HKers will be allowed. Whoever could afford to move already moved to Canada, Australia etc. The people the UK wants are HK 'nationalists' who are going to be used as a cudgel against the CCP and HK government.

Do we really expect the anti-immigration crowd to suddenly welcome nearly half the population of Hong Kong just because they're anti-Communist and the possibility of more Alexa Chungs?

That being said I think China would be happy to let people emmigrate since HK is such an issue.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Urinal Cake on July 02, 2020, 12:59:13 AM
Do we really expect the anti-immigration crowd to suddenly welcome nearly half the population of Hong Kong just because they're anti-Communist and the possibility of more Alexa Chungs?
Are they white and can they speak English?

Mister Six

You can be arrested and imprisoned for three years (at least) for holding up a flag calling for Hong Kong to be separate from China.

Does the same thing happen to Scottish people who call for independence?

Quote from: Mister Six on July 02, 2020, 01:07:41 AM
You can be arrested and imprisoned for three years (at least) for holding up a flag calling for Hong Kong to be separate from China.

It's very difficult to know the actual circumstances of this arrest, because Westerns news outlets have no interest in investigating or reporting facts in stories involving China.

Two lawyers in New York City are facing life imprisonment (with a mandatory minimum of 45+ years) for lighting an abandoned police car on fire. Which is worse?

Joe Oakes

I was so intrigued by Pearly-Dewdrops Drops that I had to check his post history. Couldn't make out if he's a paid-off pro-China westerner (like that Nathan Rich weirdo), a contrarian, or maybe he's just right and everyone else is wrong.

From spending 10 minutes scientifically scanning his past, I present the following pertinent points:

Firstly, to his credit:

- He likes RLM.

However, he has a few suspicious opinions:

- He doubts that China could have been in the wrong in their recent dispute with India.
- He links to 90 Day Fiancé videos.
- He links to heart-warming videos of westerners surprising Chinese people by talking in Mandarin.
- I couldn't locate a single reference to Winnie The Pooh.
- Most damningly, he rates the film 'Alien Resurrection' as superior to the film 'Aliens'. Call me paranoid, but that's the sort of mistake only a Chinese bot could make.

It would be unethical for me to reach a conclusion based on such a small sample size, and my conclusion is that he is a 100% paid stooge of the Chinese government.

Mister Six

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on July 02, 2020, 01:10:44 AM
It's very difficult to know the actual circumstances of this arrest, because Westerns news outlets have no interest in investigating or reporting facts in stories involving China.

I got that from the South China Morning Post, a Hong Kong-based newspaper.

I'm busy so can't do a full breakdown but your repeated attempts to misrepresent the law, what it allows, what it restricts and how it has changed "one country, two systems" - not to mention the absurd whataboutism that you resort to whenever you're pulled up on this - does not speak well of your own supposed impartiality.

marquis_de_sad

Pearly-Dewdrops Drops might be shitting the bed here, but I think calling him a wumao and speculating about his ethnicity is weird.

bgmnts

Quote from: Mister Six on July 02, 2020, 01:07:41 AM

Does the same thing happen to Scottish people who call for independence?

No but these days in England, if you say you are English you will be arrested and thrown in jail.

Mister Six

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on July 02, 2020, 01:25:16 AM
Pearly-Dewdrops Drops might be shitting the bed here, but I think calling him a wumao and speculating about his ethnicity is weird.

All right yeah, it was. I've edited that out

Fuck me if every post of his in here doesn't sound like /r/Sino apologism though.

Quote from: Joe Oakes on July 02, 2020, 01:17:35 AM
I was so intrigued by Pearly-Dewdrops Drops that I had to check his post history.

https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/1276347101484421120

Quote from: Mister Six on July 02, 2020, 01:32:32 AM
All right yeah, it was. I've edited that out

Fuck me if every post of his in here doesn't sound like /r/Sino apologism though.

I'm not a supporter of the Chinese government. I'm an opponent of Western exceptionalism, the new cold war that is now being waged against China (which includes the cynical manipulation of genuine and often very courageous reform efforts inside the PRC and Hong Kong), and the gross incompetence of the Western media and their willingness to act as mouthpieces for said cold war.

I would have been just as skeptical of Western reporting on the Soviet Union, which history has coincidentally proven to have been largely based in fantasy and a jingoistic need to create an Evil Empire for ideological use in the West.

Urinal Cake

Oh China, why won't you be the righteous balance to US power I want you to be?

Edit: Not aimed towards PDP in particular.

Mister Six

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on July 02, 2020, 01:59:44 AM
I'm not a supporter of the Chinese government. I'm an opponent of Western exceptionalism

Unfortunately you appear to have made the mistake of thinking that because you don't like the West's attitude, it's opponents must automatically be righteous.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Mister Six on July 02, 2020, 01:32:32 AM

Yeah. But he's convincing no one.

An amusing thing about boneheaded defences of the the PRC from the left is that Jiang Shigong, one the architects of recent PRC policy in Hong Kong, favourably cities Qing dynasty colonial policy and is an admirer of Nazi jurist Carl Schmitt. Jiang is thought to be the author of a 2014 White Paper called "The Practice of 'One Country Two Systems'", which openly says that One Country Two Systems means total PRC control.[nb]The given translation in English of the specific term used in the White Paper is "overall jurisdiction", but is more accurately translated as "total jurisdiction" 全面管治權[/nb] Beijing couldn't be more blatant about their intentions for Hong Kong, and yet you still get deluded leftists coming to their defence.

Quote from: Mister Six on July 02, 2020, 02:14:24 AM
Unfortunately you appear to have made the mistake of thinking that because you don't like the West's attitude, it's opponents must automatically be righteous.

Not really. Where have I declared the Chinese government to be righteous? All I've done is point out that a viewpoint based entirely on Western exceptionalism is not only baseless but actively harmful given the belligerent foreign policy stance of the United States and its allies.

China has a population of nearly 1.4 billion people, and I would wager (just my conjecture) that a substantial majority of them support this latest security measure and view it as reasonable. Who conferred on the West the right to dictate global morality? It's very rich for anyone in the United States to talk about human rights, or for anyone in the UK to say anything whatsoever about Chinese sovereignty over Hong Kong given the absolutely appalling history of British intervention in the region.

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on July 02, 2020, 02:25:36 AM
Yeah. But he's convincing no one.

An amusing thing about boneheaded defences of the the PRC from the left is that Jiang Shigong, one the architects of recent PRC policy in Hong Kong, favourably cities Qing dynasty colonial policy and is an admirer of Nazi jurist Carl Schmitt. Jiang is thought to be the author of a 2014 White Paper called "The Practice of One Country Two Systems", which openly says that One Country Two Systems means total PRC control.[nb]The usual translation in English of the specific term used in the White Paper is "overall jurisdiction", but is more accurately translated as "total jurisdiction" 全面管治權[/nb] Beijing couldn't be more blatant about their intentions for Hong Kong, and yet you still get deluded leftists coming to their defence.

Sounds like a "fact" you've gleaned from what is undoubtedly a very healthy and totally normal source. Interestingly enough, post-Nazi Germany did at least make some (perhaps symbolic) attempts at restitutions for their crimes. When will the UK be making similar gestures toward China?

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on July 02, 2020, 02:30:23 AM
Sounds like a "fact" you've gleaned from what is undoubtedly a very healthy and totally normal source.

No idea what this is supposed to mean.

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on July 02, 2020, 02:30:23 AM
Interestingly enough, post-Nazi Germany did at least make some (perhaps symbolic) attempts at restitutions for their crimes. When will the UK be making similar gestures toward China?

I don't know, I'm not the UK government.

Bronzy

Urinal Cake

Okay every government sucks.

The new HK legislation is draconian but I think it's a difference in how power is used. The CCP will scare you into obeying with punishment, the American government (local, State and National) will scare\hurt\kill you through process and enforcement of those laws.

Zetetic

Possibly not a great example to cite, Bronzy, because Adrian Zenz clearly is a useful lunatic, and an unfortunate impediment.

Bronzy

Quote from: Zetetic on July 02, 2020, 02:46:08 AM
Possibly not a great example to cite, Bronzy, because Adrian Zenz clearly is a useful lunatic, and an unfortunate impediment.

Thanks for letting me know, I didn't even notice it was him at first. Instead, here's a couple of better links that are Zenz-free:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/China_hidden_camps

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-asia-china-50511063

Dex Sawash

Would not have guessed anyone would accept being called a Hongkonger

Joe Oakes

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on July 02, 2020, 02:30:23 AMIt's very rich for anyone in the United States to talk about human rights, or for anyone in the UK to say anything whatsoever about Chinese sovereignty over Hong Kong given the absolutely appalling history of British intervention in the region.

Seems rather xenophobic to deny someone an opinion based purely on their birth place. The CCP also has a habit of denying people of their opinions. Coincidence, or something more sinister?

Bazooka

QuoteIt's very rich for anyone in the United States to talk about human rights, or for anyone in the UK to say anything whatsoever about Chinese sovereignty over Hong Kong given the absolutely appalling history of British intervention in the region.

Have a word with yourself mate.

Bernice

Human rights are worthless because of Western Imperialism.

Hopefully when these subversive get here, we can round them all up and hand them back to the PRC with  a little note apologising for the empire. This is what it means to be anti-imperialist.

Paul Calf

To be far to P- DDD, they're hardly the only poster on here with a hard-on for China.

earl_sleek

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on July 02, 2020, 01:10:44 AM

Two lawyers in New York City are facing life imprisonment (with a mandatory minimum of 45+ years) for lighting an abandoned police car on fire. Which is worse?

Which is worse, holding up a flag or burning a police car? Burning a police car, obvs.[nb]Now if it was a police officer....I kid, I kid![/nb]

I think 45 years would be excessive, but at least I'm allowed to express that opinion. And at least there is a legal process that has to be followed for them to receive that sentence, rather than them disappearing only to reappear shortly after they're sentenced to death by a kangaroo court.