Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:05:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dyeing your hair

Started by Barry Admin, July 01, 2020, 10:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Anyone here do this? Just noticed that Jim Acosta is dying his Barnet, and it's very noticeable and not nearly as cool as the salt and pepper look he used to have.

Cause of lockdown, I had to clipper all my hair off, and was kind of surprised to find that some gray had been hiding under there. It wasn't particularly noticeable at all when I had it sort of mid-length, or when it was even longer.

Not sure how I'll feel when it starts getting to the pure white stage that my uncles are rocking though.

Kelvin

Once, when my friend wanted to dye his hair, and asked me to do it with him for some moral support.

Never again.

Bernice

I don't think there's any harm in going grey in this post-Clooney world. But I'm younger and don't have to worry about that just yet.

I've done the lockdown buzzcut after years of the same old short back and Starmer, and am now thinking of dying the little hair I have platinum blond or gunmetal blue to get back in touch with the pseudo-punk stylings of my youth. But then I remind myself that I'm basically a square and it would look deeply incongruous in the surroundings of my actual life.

Captain Crunch

Get three mates to do it as well and pretend you're Compulsion:

Go on, it will be so cool!

Barry Admin

Oh god I gotta listen to Comforter tonight.

Edit:. Eeeh I got the videos on right now. I don't think I ever saw them before, I'd just listen to a tape a friend made me over and over, and smoke soap bar with a housecoat at the bottom of the door to stop the smell escaping. What a fucking record this is, still sounds amaaaazing, thanks for the prompt.

Kryton

My hair is spongy and lovely after a really hot and invigorating headwash, probably the best in about four years, I was just stoned and lay in the bath for aaaaaaaaaages with shampoo conditioniser thing, true foam. Forgot I had it on. Zoned out.

Ducked my head under the water and felt my bowman glands truly axon. My Lamina propria refreshing like.

It wasn't dyed, but it could have well have been. The hair that is. The hair.

Icehaven

After wanting to do it for ages I finally got round to bleaching the ends of my hair and dyeing them purple a few months back, but I've not bothered with the upkeep since lockdown, so the ends (which I had to bleach about 3 times due to my hair being dyed black) have largely snapped off now and what's left is now a kind of orangey blonde. It's not hideous but I'm going to trim them off and do it again once there's sonewhere to go other than Asda.

Kryton

Quote from: Bernice on July 01, 2020, 10:22:05 PM
I don't think there's any harm in going grey in this post-Clooney world. But I'm younger and don't have to worry about that just yet.

Not at all. I remember a bloke I once knew talking about Star Trek the next Generation and he was going on about how it's fine to travel here there and everywhere but there's no cure for baldness, and I still remember thinking at that time this guy isn't all he's cracked up to be. What are you on about?
Go grey, go Bald. Whatever, let's just fucking fly off to space and for once stop letting abject hereditary hair devolution sour our plans for fucking up other planets. For Christ's sake.

Kelvin

Quote from: Bernice on July 01, 2020, 10:22:05 PM

I've done the lockdown buzzcut after years of the same old short back and Starmer, and am now thinking of dying the little hair I have platinum blond or gunmetal blue to get back in touch with the pseudo-punk stylings of my youth. But then I remind myself that I'm basically a square and it would look deeply incongruous in the surroundings of my actual life.

I think it depends how grey you are and if spreads from your temples out. I have very grey hair, especially around the back of my head, the front having some brown in it still. It honestly doesn't bother me, I've never felt compelled to dye it, but I really do get absolutely sick to the back to teeth of people telling me how shocked they are by it (I'm 37), or telling me to dye it, "it makes you look old". In fact, I've often wondered how old I'd have to get before people considered it normal for me to have grey hair - I honestly thought that by 37 it would have stopped.

The Culture Bunker

The hair down the side of my head shows up very grey when it's short, though right now it's all covered by the overflowing mop from above. I don't mind it too much when the grey does show, as I kid myself it's a Nicky Fury (original)/Reed Richards kind of look.

The idea of dying it always seemed too much like hard work.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Captain Crunch on July 01, 2020, 10:28:06 PM
Get three mates to do it as well and pretend you're Compulsion:

Go on, it will be so cool!

Leaving Comforter running in the background led to a lot of ace indie-rock playing afterwards, and I think I've settled on James Iha's hair circa 1995, thanks.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Kelvin on July 01, 2020, 10:20:48 PM
Once, when my friend wanted to dye his hair, and asked me to do it with him for some moral support.

Never again.

I remember watching radio face all those years ago, such a vibrant, carefree youthful glowing figure of a man back then you were. Now I'm crying while recanting John Milton's 'How Soon Hath Time' and staring at the age ravaged and crushed spirit that is the above picture.

actually I'm having a wank

flotemysost

If there's one thing I've learned in lockdown, it's that apparently you should never start with the roots when dyeing your hair because the heat from your scalp will make it process faster so it'll turn out a different colour from the rest (I know this because for some reason videos of Brad Mondo keep cropping up on my social media feeds, he seems quite evangelical about this point).

To be fair, I did learn this the hard way ages ago by slapping a load of this on my scalp, in the hope of also becoming a slightly pissed off Middle Eastern Cheryl Cole lookalike:

Didn't work, fried bonce, back to Superdrug in a hat

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 01, 2020, 11:02:32 PM
Leaving Comforter running in the background led to a lot of ace indie-rock playing afterwards, and I think I've settled on James Iha's hair circa 1995, thanks.

Ruthlessly trolling the Corganesque readership of the board.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 01, 2020, 10:11:39 PM
Anyone here do this? Just noticed that Jim Acosta is dying his Barnet, and it's very noticeable and not nearly as cool as the salt and pepper look he used to have.

Cause of lockdown, I had to clipper all my hair off, and was kind of surprised to find that some gray had been hiding under there. It wasn't particularly noticeable at all when I had it sort of mid-length, or when it was even longer.

Not sure how I'll feel when it starts getting to the pure white stage that my uncles are rocking though.

Grey hairs on the head is nothing. Wait till you start getting grey pubes. It's disturbing to see your genitals aging,

Kelvin

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on July 01, 2020, 11:08:10 PM
I remember watching radio face all those years ago, such a vibrant, carefree youthful glowing figure of a man back then you were. Now I'm crying while recanting John Milton's 'How Soon Hath Time' and staring at the age ravaged and crushed spirit that is the above picture.

Heh, ironically you've misremembered how decrepit I looked circa-Radioface. That picture is from 7 or 8 year ago, probably during or shortly after I made those. I have aged one thousand years since then.

Sebastian Cobb

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 02, 2020, 12:24:36 AM
go full johnny marr

Old boy near me has the full mod do into his 50s. His barber obviously coining it because it looked like a load of work.

Saw him the other day, absolute state after 3 months indoors. Like a birds nest crashed into a crumpled Johnny marr. Like jamiroquai's hat had turned grey and been dropped onto an old man from a great height. An image of Paul Weller projected onto a rough concrete floor.

Still got the leather jacket and the scowl though.

Bernice

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 01, 2020, 10:46:56 PM
The hair down the side of my head shows up very grey when it's short, though right now it's all covered by the overflowing mop from above. I don't mind it too much when the grey does show, as I kid myself it's a Nicky Fury (original)/Reed Richards kind of look.

The idea of dying it always seemed too much like hard work.

As a kid I really fucking wanted that Reed Richards grey temples look. Still do if I'm honest. My hairs naturally such a non-colour, sort of very dirty blonde, not quite brown. It's basically a very dull dark grey. Give me sexy badger streaks any time.

Kelvin, you look like Robert Popper with more hair. Make of that what you will.

PlanktonSideburns

I'm going grey, love it. Gotta cut it sharper so I don't look like an old crazy person, but I'm heading for the schofeild zone, destination byrne, and that's fine

timebug

If you have a full head of hair and are young(ish?) go ahead and dye it purple or whatever floats yer boat. But if you  are grey or greying, balding or whatever, don't do it! Nothing worse than an obvious 'paint job' except a laughable combover or bad syrup!

Jerzy Bondov

When I was a teenager I dyed my hair all the time. I had a blue phase, a red phase, and then a black phase. The black made me look like I was dying, which was okay because that's what I was going for. Red phase came to an end when some children sarcastically shouted 'NICE RED HAIR' at me, which I found very cutting. Blue phase - actually 'cosmic blue' - was probably the best in retrospect. Going grey at the temples now and like Bernice I'm hoping to go down the Reed Richards route. Been posting on here for too long though so I will most likely become completely bald.

PlanktonSideburns

Wish I was balding at the temples,  paulie like

I've just got random patches of grey appearing, badger like

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Kelvin on July 01, 2020, 10:20:48 PM

Never again.

Sexy Russian diplomat

NoSleep

Dyeing; hair dying is what happens to baldies.

Quote from: timebug on July 02, 2020, 09:08:24 AM
If you have a full head of hair and are young(ish?) go ahead and dye it purple or whatever floats yer boat. But if you  are grey or greying, balding or whatever, don't do it! Nothing worse than an obvious 'paint job' except a laughable combover or bad syrup!

Barry Admin

Oh yeah. Well Google didn't correct me when I quickly checked.

kittens

bleached my hair last year. looked absolutely great but i'm quite sure it rapidly accelerated my hair loss. wanna do it again but with a bald spot and receding hair i fear i would somehow appear even more ridiculous. need to draw attention away from my head now. may have to start wearing jewellery and get loads of tattoos.

touchingcloth

I think dyeing your hair so it looks natural when you're going grey is a fool's errand, unless you're using the stuff which is designed to just give a light kiss of colour to the small percentage of grey hairs. It ALWAYS looks like you're trying to fool people once you reach a certain age, especially if you have roots, eyebrows or other facial/bodily hair which give the game away and you can't be arsed with the maintenance.

Just let it go grey as nature intended, or if you really must do something then go with a colour which makes it obvious you've chosen it as a statement rather than to conceal the grey - shocking pink or Pegg Blonde or whatever.

Just think of the men you've seen who've gone with a toupee rather than allowing for a tonsure of bald to develop or razoring it all off, or the ones who suck their guts in - you might think you look natural, but you don't, sorry.

I say all of this with love as a bald man.

jobotic

Last night I watched the episode of The Sopranos when
Spoiler alert
they kill and cut up Ralphie and his syrup comes off.
[close]
Now that's a look.

I'm pretty grey now. Used to be beige.

Barry Admin

I do agree tbh touchingcloth, it just looks daft. I don't really feel that old but me, my sis and my Mum all had to sit and work out what age I turned earlier this week, I legitimately couldn't remember, I think largely because I stopped telling people my age years ago, rather than (just) encroaching Alzheimer's. Apparently I've always looked a lot younger than I actually am, so I just let people go with that impression instead. The prospect of actually starting to look old is a bit weird and scary.

I have definitely always hated people who try and hide it with plastic surgery and the likes though. And yeah, men with very dark hair but that kind of grey look about the rest of their visage just seem urrggh and creepy.