Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:32:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dyeing your hair

Started by Barry Admin, July 01, 2020, 10:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 02, 2020, 11:34:28 AM
Apparently I've always looked a lot younger than I actually am, so I just let people go with that impression instead. The prospect of actually starting to look old is a bit weird and scary.

My partner crossed the Rubicon this year of having some stray grey hairs to having her whole head visibly start to desaturate, but I don't think it makes her look old, partly because her family is one of those ones where people start greying in their 20s so it hasn't yet gone alongside other classic ageing signs like laughter lines and liver spots.

I don't know how old you are, but I'm 33 and it's been at for least five years that I've had to actively think about my specific age rather than my decade, so if you don't feel old - or even if you do - then let the hair fall as it may, is my feeling.

I do get the scariness of ageing, btw - stuff like the noticeable increase in time it takes to recover from injuries and hangovers, and the awareness that I could paralyse myself if I get to cavalier with lifting stuff.

Barry Admin

Plus the really troublesome aspects, such as: looking like a sad cunt when you wear a pair of jeans or feeling like a nonce when you buy Milk Chews or a lollipop.

touchingcloth

I've never had a clothes horse figure and even when I had it my hair didn't take any sort of styling well, so in many ways my entire life has been getting me used to the idea of looking rubbish. Old age holds no fear for me, at least not looks-wise. BEAT THAt

El Unicornio, mang

I think when people say "I can always tell when someone has dyed their hair", what they actually mean is "I can always tell a bad dye job". It's like saying "I can always tell if someone has baked a cake because they have flour all over them", not taking into account all the people who have baked cakes without getting flour all over them. I only recently found out that my Mum has been dyeing her hair for about 40 years, I just assumed she had retained the blonde into her 70s. If it's a good dye job, no-one is going to notice, aside from friends wondering how you've gone from grey to brown overnight.

But like this guy, no-one is going to know he had dyed his hair if they just saw him walking down the street. It's very natural looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYz-URdF-ic

whereas this guy has gone too dark and it's more obvious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFhjt_m1wm8

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Take succour from those men who haven't dyed their hair and look completely grand on it, like him who played Villanelle Joey in " Friends", or yer man from The Beastie Boys.Or Jim Jarmusch.

touchingcloth

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 02, 2020, 11:55:53 AM
I think when people say "I can always tell when someone has dyed their hair", what they actually mean is "I can always tell a bad dye job". It's like saying "I can always tell if someone has baked a cake because they have flour all over them", not taking into account all the people who have baked cakes without getting flour all over them. I only recently found out that my Mum has been dyeing her hair for about 40 years, I just assumed she had retained the blonde into her 70s. If it's a good dye job, no-one is going to notice, aside from friends wondering how you've gone from grey to brown overnight.

This is true (and there's a whole logical fallacy named for it - rationalwiki.org/wiki/Toupee_fallacy), but it's not easy to do, and you'd probably be surprised at the time, money and effort your mum has spent on keeping things that way, and unless your mum otherwise looks like she's in her 50s or younger most new people she meets can probably tell she dyes it, and you'll have the frog in the cauldron thing of there never being a definitive point where the rest of her aged dramatically enough quickly enough for you to notice the mismatch.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 02, 2020, 12:05:14 PM
This is true (and there's a whole logical fallacy named for it - rationalwiki.org/wiki/Toupee_fallacy),

I knew there had to be a name for it! I can stop with the terrible analogies to make that point from now on...

But honestly I might just be bad at spotting them. I'm sure a lot of women dye their hair but I can't tell unless it's some outrageous colour. My Mum has hers done at a pretty decent hairdressers though.

touchingcloth

With women of a certain age I think there's a level of herd immunity. I know groups of women who dress and do their hair and makeup similarly[nb]And I'm not saying this is a bad thing.[/nb], but if one of them broke ranks and let the grey out then the dye jobs on the others would become more obvious, I think. White blonde people are in the privileged position of having a hair colour which is on its way to grey, too - I've definitely done double takes at people who I've seen initially as being a bright, silvery grey because its clear from other signs that they are of pensionable age, but on closer inspection they've gone for a silvery blonde look.

My mother in law has hair which is naturally the colour of Santa's beard, but she dyes it a darker grey now. Admittedly you can't tell it's dyed even with the roots showing, but it's an interesting style choice that she considers herself the wrong grey.

I'm aware that this post reads as quite misogynistic, but there's a definite sex divide in our culture between people who get their hair done by a hairdresser rather than at a barbers, so I'm talking specifically about people with dressed hair rather than trying to imply that's a thing that only the wimmin do.

Sebastian Cobb

I don't think grey hair looks bad on blokes but also quite like the intentional grey thing that some women do now.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 02, 2020, 11:55:53 AM
I think when people say "I can always tell when someone has dyed their hair", what they actually mean is "I can always tell a bad dye job".

You can usually tell because peoples hair looks too dark and the colour too even.  I've long suspected that the solution to that is to choose a dye slightly lighter than your natural colour.  It seems simple, but that'd work, right?

jobotic

Grey hair is fine, greying hair is fine.

Hair with the odd enormous wiry pube-like grey hair though? Utterly shameful.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

What's the name of the president of the European Central Bank, looks a bit like a classier Miss Jones from " Rising Damp" ? She's a woman, and She's got a lovely head of grey hair, really suits her.

touchingcloth

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on July 02, 2020, 12:47:14 PM
You can usually tell because peoples hair looks too dark and the colour too even.  I've long suspected that the solution to that is to choose a dye slightly lighter than your natural colour.  It seems simple, but that'd work, right?

I think that's how stuff like Just For Men works - a weak dye and lighter than your colour so in theory it covers the greys and doesn't visibly change the rest.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 02, 2020, 12:50:45 PM
What's the name of the president of the European Central Bank, looks a bit like a classier Miss Jones from " Rising Damp" ? She's a woman, and She's got a lovely head of grey hair, really suits her.

Judge Judy

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: jobotic on July 02, 2020, 12:48:06 PM
Grey hair is fine, greying hair is fine.

Hair with the odd enormous wiry pube-like grey hair though? Utterly shameful.

There used to be a lad I went to school with who had really curly blond/brown hair with a cotton-wool sized white patch on either (but in different places) side of his head.

He's a professional magician now.

El Unicornio, mang

That's generally the problem, people pick the wrong colour for their skin tone. And yeah, a shade or two lighter seems to be the best solution.

chveik

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 02, 2020, 12:50:45 PM

austerity scum Christine Lagarde

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Yes, that's her. My description of her was possibly a little more flattering than yours. Bet you agree with me about that lovely old grey head of hair, though.

The Culture Bunker

I did find it a bit strange at first that while the hair on the sides of my head has gone grey, the stuff on my chest is going shock white. Think my facial hair is going that way too. Rest of the body has stayed dark so far.

Ferris

Quote from: NoSleep on July 02, 2020, 09:49:58 AM
Dyeing; hair dying is what happens to baldies.

This tortoise looks very satisfied about something. Probably to do with lettuce.

Ray Travez

I dye my hair in the showers at the swimming pool, I'm too much of a klutz to try it anywhere else. It's way overdue now, obviously.

I do all that sort of stuff- shave my legs, pluck my eyebrows, use peel masks etc. I don't think it's vanity, more fending off an accelerating bodily entropy.

dissolute ocelot

There's a whole lot of tricks to avoid the "my entire head is exactly the same colour look": dye some of the hair (e.g. lowlights where you leave the tips), use a fancy expensive dye that doesn't give an even colour, add highlights, or as mentioned don't dye it all the way back to the original colour. This is why Just For Men Beard Mustache And Sideburns is the most comically stupid product: no man has bm&s the same colour as his hair.

But for women dyeing hair has long been about more than just covering grey, and it should be the same for men. During lockdown, I've seen an increasing number of men, not all in the first flush of youth, with primary-coloured hair. And aside from making them look like paedos or clowns or Green Day fans, there's nothing wrong with it.

Nobody Soup

I have lots of grey in my hair now, I mainly get compliments on it and I've even been accused of having an expensive fashionable dye job, so I'm not bothered by it at all.

BUT 2 years ago I did fancy another run as someone who didn't have a head of silvery locks, instead of doing a full dye job (which I did in my 20s and a mate still does, hence I know looks shit) I used that shampoo with dye in it that gradually darkens it the more you use it.

looked completely natural, mates of mine used to delight in telling people it was dyed purely because it was practically impossible to tell.