Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:55:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bad smells

Started by bgmnts, July 02, 2020, 01:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizla

Quote from: tao of wub on July 02, 2020, 04:53:31 AM
A chest freezer insouciantly left broken for over six months whilst half full of liquefied rotten meats

PARKLIFE
Removed all putrid liquid meats and meat residues with bucket and plastic dustpan.
PARKLIFE

Doused festering carcass of freezer in bleach and then gave it a really good hosing down.
PARKLIFE

Dragged out to street for council to take away.  They said it stank too much and I had to beg them.
PARKLIFE

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 03, 2020, 09:01:32 AM
It depends massively on the quality of the food. Our dog has been on good quality (high protein, rice rather than wheat for the small amount of carbs - cheaper foods are bulked out with wheat which dog digestive systems can't deal with brilliantly) for ages now and his shit don't stink, and smells like a neutral rose rather than dog poo poo poo. If you ever see those dog shits which are caramel rather than chocolate in colour and are soft and raggy in appearance - a type 5 on the Bristol scale - then odds are it will have that nasty dog shit smell and be caused by poor food, which is also the major cause of the dog smell you get in some owners' houses.

Bonio used to make my housemates dog shit 'yellow mustard'. Good luck picking that up with an inverted bag!

popcorn

Quote from: bgmnts on July 02, 2020, 01:33:33 AM
However, I've come to learn that mice fucking stink. They smell bad. If I were to describe the smell of a mouse cage it would be 'not very good'. In fact, it is fair to say that when I am next confronted with a bad smell, I will compare it to a mouse's stench.

So if you meet your mate and he pongs of BO are you going to say "Mate, you smell like a fucking mouse?"

tao of wub

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 03, 2020, 12:36:52 PMbeta-mercaptoethanol on them will end up stinking out the entire lab for a couple of days

Looks reasonably toxic too.  Some people say it is not as bad as methanol, which some also seem to splash all over.  I worked with mass spec operators who got methanol everywhere and thought nothing of it.  Nice.

It says to keep your mecaptoethanol away from oxidising agents, but I imagine you can safely oxidize small amounts of it, like contaminated gloves, with bleach.

If you ever have any aryl boronic acids (and their pinacolates), they smell really really nice!  They are potent inhibitors of FAAH, (Fatty Acid Amide Hydrolase), which might explain the nice feelings as FAAH is involved in regulating the endocannabinoid system.

Find somebody doing Suzuki couplings and ask if you can have a smell, it is a really unique odor and lovely too!

steve98

"Pinacolates", seriously?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: tao of wub on July 04, 2020, 11:34:20 PM

If you ever have any aryl boronic acids (and their pinacolates), they smell really really nice! 

Rupert Holmes considers rewrite.

tao of wub

Quote from: steve98 on July 05, 2020, 06:26:21 AM
"Pinacolates", seriously?

Pinacol smells nice on its own and when its bound to boronic acids as a pinnocolate.  I don't know where the name comes from.

Sorry for the niche crap.

I will try and find a picture of the rotten meat freezer later to make up for it.  Should evoke some smells by proxy?

touchingcloth

Quote from: steve98 on July 03, 2020, 01:27:54 PM
Are you sure she's leaking and not targeting you? Weaponizing her glands? Mine went through a phase of squirting me (and the computer) when I wouldn't let her sit on the keyboard. It's a ghastly smell, and it put me off her for a bit (but we're okay now.)

He, and there's a bit of both - he leaks sometimes and squirts the other - you can tell the difference because the squirts come alongside grumpiness and shoot with quite the force.

tao of wub

Meaty Goodness for Olfactory Joy

This is from a few years ago, I had already got much of the well bagged but dripping stuff out, leaving this delicious cold soup.

Had to commemorate it in a pic as I was well pissed off at this point and felt no sane person would understand without proof.

jobotic

None of those things smell as bad as this photo

Marner and Me

Quote from: jobotic on July 06, 2020, 12:00:23 AM
None of those things smell as bad as this photo

That smells like wrestling and NASCAR

My mate went away with work for 3 months he came back to find someone before they'd gone had left a pint of milk in his car. He said he threw up instantly when he opened the car and even a year later you could still smell the milk smell.

Brundle-Fly

Never cook a bar of Imperial Leather soap at 800 in a microwave in a damp church hall canteen. Rimming Satan, that.

NattyDread 2

Quote from: tao of wub on July 05, 2020, 11:54:20 PM

This is from a few years ago, I had already got much of the well bagged but dripping stuff out, leaving this delicious cold soup.

Had to commemorate it in a pic as I was well pissed off at this point and felt no sane person would understand without proof.

Eeh, that takes me back. I used to work in a sort of zoo/reptile rescue place. We had some big fuck off snakes (20ft Burmese Pythons) and so needed a big freezer to keep their food (rabbits) in.

It was also part of the zoo license requirements that anything that died was kept frozen in case a post mortem was required, so along with quite a few rabbits, this freezer was full of long dead terrapins, iguanas, cayman crocodiles, fruit bats, you name it.

Snakes don't need fed very often and the rest of the animals were fed fresh food, so it was a good few weeks after the freezer of death had packed in unnoticed and some poor bastard (muggins here) had to go and fetch a rabbit to defrost so that the big snakes could show off their detachable jaws to the gawping crowds.
Instead they were treated to me heaving my guts up by the side of the building. Probably just as impressive jaw work.

Can't compete with the cadaver ear fluid story but I reckon the they'd share similar tasting notes. Had to bury the contents.

touchingcloth

A few years back we had drains backing up in a rented property, and the landlord did fuck all about it despite repeatedly telling her that it was stinking out the house, flooding the garden and likely to cause long term damage to the place.

After getting fed up of this we took it on ourselves to lift the manhole cover in the garden and see what was what, and it was FULL of sink waste, toilet paper and actual shit. At the time that was the worst looking and smelling thing I had ever encountered, and despite having a strong constitution I instantly vomited, possibly the only time I have ever been sick without any real warning. We donned rubber gloves, got a wheelbarrow and some shovels and started heaving the sludge out to be wheeled away, but before doing that we put on builders' face masks to help hide the stink, and to make them as effective as possible filled them with herbs and other aromatics from the garden.

It had hardly any effect, though, and I quite quickly sicked into my own mask. Just before I'd mentally been asking myself "what could possibly smell worse than a big concrete box filled with all rotting piss and shit?" and already I had my answer: that same smell, filtered through a facemask of your own sick.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 06, 2020, 12:46:04 AM
Never cook a bar of Imperial Leather soap at 800 in a microwave in a damp church hall canteen. Rimming Satan, that.

What happened to the soap? I remember microwaving a saucer of Fairly liquid in a church kitchen once, and it all bubbled up and turned into some kind of Flubber monster. Just smelled of soap, though.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 06, 2020, 12:53:12 AM
What happened to the soap? I remember microwaving a saucer of Fairly liquid in a church kitchen once, and it all bubbled up and turned into some kind of Flubber monster. Just smelled of soap, though.

husk of death

GoblinAhFuckScary

I was at a 24 hour offie in Tottenham last summer around 3am. They also happen to sell butchered meats and chose that time to wheel a wheelie-bin full of rotted offcuts, bones, and whatnot through the shop and past the counter where myself and others were getting late night booze on a bit of a ket-infused haze.

I've never smelled anything that gave me the impression of real, human death on a large scale. It was so, unbelievably awful that we were compelled to immediately pour into the street to dry-heave. I was reading Modris Ekstein's remarkable Rites of Spring at that time, and that features some dreadful, dreadful accounts of the stench of decay in the trenches of the Somme, and could not shake the (rather dramatic) feeling that this was the closest i'd probably come to experiencing that particular musk. Makes me shudder still.

steve98

Quote from: tao of wub on July 05, 2020, 11:54:20 PM

That's nothing really, you're just displaying your prissiness. I used to recondition (clean) white-goods in a 2nd-hand shop as a boy, and would have felt my lazy-boned self blessed to be tasked with cleaning that. (Some of that chicken might even still be edible, if the flies haven't got to it.)