Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:06:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Both Beavis and Butt-head and Clone High are coming back

Started by madhair60, July 02, 2020, 05:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Fucking love Clone High and the last Beavis and Butt-head revival was sublime so I'm looking forward to both.

BritishHobo

Lovely. I always wondered why Beavis and Butthead just disappeared again after that revival - it was so good.

imitationleather

Small Man Big Horse

I'm vaguely concerned that the word "Reimagining" was used to describe both comebacks in the AV Club pieces about them, but as the original creators are all involved hopefully they'll still be all kinds of amazing.

chveik

Captain Crunch

Looks like it includes 'Jodie' the Daria spinoff. 

alan nagsworth

This is exciting! I love Clone High, I really hope they keep the original theme song because that shit slaps.

All we need now is for Ugly Americans to come back! That's right, even with these two comebacks that I don't deserve, I am still dissatisfied!

Old Nehamkin

There are only two shows I can think of that have come back after a years-long break and managed to absolutely ace it without missing a beat. One of them is Twin Peaks and the other is Beavis and Butthead. The 2011 MTV revival was a minor miracle that matched and in some ways exceeded the original run, and it was so frustrating that it was cut short so soon. I seem to remember complaints about MTV dumping it in unfavourable timeslots and Judge saying that the network executives finally decided not to renew the show because it wasn't compatible with their modern-day target demographic (tweens who really, really enjoy reality TV, as far as I can tell). Comedy Central will hopefully be a better home for it.

NoSleep

I remember thinking that the the music video portions of the revived B&B were somewhat neutered compared to the past. These were always my favourite sections in the original run; sometimes scathing and very funny putdowns. There was none of that to be had in the revival.

thr0b

Aye, the revival being on MTV never made any sense. Given Viacom own both MTV and Comedy Central, it made even less sense.

thr0b

Quote from: NoSleep on July 03, 2020, 09:51:05 AM
I remember thinking that the the music video portions of the revived B&B were somewhat neutered compared to the past. These were always my favourite sections in the original run; sometimes scathing and very funny putdowns. There was none of that to be had in the revival.

By the time of the revival, MTV both here and in America was not a music channel. The music sections would therefore not have been as key.

NoSleep

Seemed more of an issue that the videos were there for promotion of new (and not particularly remarkable) acts, not there to be ridiculed as they mostly deserved. Punches pulled.

Egyptian Feast

I only caught a few episodes of the revival, but I was disappointed they'd switched from mocking music videos to reality TV. It totally made sense for them to do so, but that had always been my favourite part of the show. They got me into a few bands through slagging them off (The Dead Milkmen, Helium etc.), so I'll always be grateful for that, and for their reaction to that video with the robot Lou Reed tearing his face off.

Edit: Found it! Sadly missing the beginning of the video, which they're happily taking the piss out of before it suddenly becomes "the coolest of all videos".

Armin Meiwes

Totally missed the 2011 revival!.Anywhere it can still be watched that anyone knows of?

sutin

I loved that they replaced the music videos with reality TV in the revival. It proved that they weren't completely out of touch.

B&B makes me nostalgic for MTV generally - or at least, MTV Europe.  When it was weird & filled with Dutch presenters & bizarre artsy adverts, and covered actual musical scenes etc.  MTV UK - with Blackwood et al - was the beginning of a massive slide into shiteness.

Tbf, I can't imagine that B&B 'spoke' to teens in 2011, never mind today.  I'd imagine any (second) revival audience would be around 35-45, like me.  It still cracks me up.

Dewt

Beavis and Butthead makes me nostalgic for Channel 4 on Fridays in 1993/4.

I hope the reimagining does something to keep B&B as gen-x kids in a modern world. I wouldn't be against them being grown-ups in this. I think it could still work. But I think they have to not be Gen Z teenagers, it would be like making Arthur Dent an American

Dewt

BTW I have a collection of all the B&B episodes with music videos, if anybody is looking out for that

imitationleather

Quote from: Dewt on July 08, 2020, 04:01:02 PM
BTW I have a collection of all the B&B episodes with music videos, if anybody is looking out for that

yes please

Dewt

I need to stop saying things that involves me having to upload 20GB worth of stuff

NoSleep

Quote from: imitationleather on July 08, 2020, 04:15:26 PM
yes please

If you google "king turd collection" I'm sure you'll find every last episode. Just seen an 16gb mp4 collection of seasons 1-7 by doing the same.

Dewt

That's probably the one I grabbed so you all may as well grab that.

I had a quick peek through and it seems that some of the episodes are missing music videos. I think this is as complete as possible though.

NoSleep

The King Turd collection is pretty damn complete. You must have stumbled across an odd one if the videos were missing, as that was against the point of the project.

Puce Moment

Yeah, it's great. More people download this please!

Dewt

I think I was just skipping through too quickly and missing the music video. - turns out I was checking the Beavis and Butthead Are Dead episode, which doesn't have any music vids.

But yeah, get these from the King Turd collection, not me.

Egyptian Feast

MortSahlFan

I LOVE when Beavis & Butthead spoofed music videos.