Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:25:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

So I hear you're still a racist now, David Starkey

Started by marquis_de_sad, July 02, 2020, 07:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

What county is grimesy from originally? Not sure he has ever mentioned it since he loathes "identity politics" so much!

notjosh

I've always liked Brian Cox's calm dismissal of Starkey's hysterics, especially the final line here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ecEyrN6vCQ

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Petey Pate on July 03, 2020, 10:14:59 AM
It would be a pretty stupid remark even if there was no racism in it. Is a genocide only a genocide if there are no survivors? By the same logic the Nazi Holocaust was not genocide, because of the millions of Jews alive today.

You would think a famous historian would actually know what genocide is. This is the UN definition:

Quotegenocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

Killing members of the group;
Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.
The phrase "in whole or in part" is obviously relevant.

Buelligan

Quote from: thenoise on July 03, 2020, 10:19:21 AM
Yes, quite.  His area of interest is very specific, and every modern day political conundrum is seen through the filter of the War of the bloody Roses - just like a hammer sees every problem as a nail. BLM oh isn't that a bit like Elizabeth I persecuting Catholics?  Um, not really buddy, but heaven forbid you read about something other than your pet topic.

I think his mentality or attitude is problematic for a serious historian.  If you're being relied upon to spy through a periscope and report back to everyone on the happenings in 1455.  Yet those receiving the reports can see the utterly unbalanced, biased and bizarre takes you have on things they can see for themselves, well, they're hardly likely to view your Wars of the Roses utterances with much good faith.  Are they?  Might as well pay Katie Hopkins to make up some bollocks and speak it to camera.

canadagoose

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 03, 2020, 10:24:22 AM
What county is grimesy from originally? Not sure he has ever mentioned it since he loathes "identity politics" so much!
County Durham, I think?

Beagle 2

I'm seeing him getting cancelled today, organisations severing ties etc. He wasn't already cancelled?? I thought he had been cancelled for years! Imagine having ties to David Starkey for the last few years, just having ties to the idiot David Starkey blatantly, there it is on your website, David Starkey there, no issues we can foresee with that.

finnquark

Quote from: thenoise on July 03, 2020, 10:19:21 AM
Yes, quite.  His area of interest is very specific, and every modern day political conundrum is seen through the filter of the War of the bloody Roses - just like a hammer sees every problem as a nail. BLM oh isn't that a bit like Elizabeth I persecuting Catholics?  Um, not really buddy, but heaven forbid you read about something other than your pet topic.

I used to work with someone who was unable to operate outside of the prism of the English Civil War. Brexit? Roundheads and Cavaliers. Corbyn? The Levellers! Taxing offshore wealth? Something about Ship Money. It's all very good parlour game material, but gets a bit tedious after 60 seconds.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 03, 2020, 10:20:54 AMAnd now reasoned are calling for ofcom to have a go at radio 4 for saying they're racsts.
https://twitter.com/reasoneduk/status/1278780782522314758?s=21

free speech indeed.

"The BBC have reported that Reasoned is a channel for racists, homophobes and transphobes. Not true: cunts watch it too."

idunnosomename

Quote from: canadagoose on July 03, 2020, 11:01:48 AM
County Durham, I think?
next you'll be telling me he's working class and openly homosexual!

Bazooka

I keep imagining it being said in the style of Kevin Eldons character in I'm Alan Partidge, the "few too many blacks" delivery.

bgmnts

How can one be intelligent and also sexist and racist? They're beliefs for thick cunts.

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: Beagle 2 on July 03, 2020, 11:21:41 AM
I'm seeing him getting cancelled today, organisations severing ties etc. He wasn't already cancelled?? I thought he had been cancelled for years! Imagine having ties to David Starkey for the last few years, just having ties to the idiot David Starkey blatantly, there it is on your website, David Starkey there, no issues we can foresee with that.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, really fucks me off, he's been this openly racist for years (as well as a rape/paedo apologist) but suddenly all these organisations "don't tolerate racism".

idunnosomename

lmao county durham lad gets his legal firm to launch a lawsuit against the bbc for libelling his shitty little prageru knock off youtube channel

https://twitter.com/darrengrimes_/status/1279044300945399808

gilbertharding

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 03, 2020, 10:51:51 AM
You would think a famous historian would actually know what genocide is. This is the UN definition:
The phrase "in whole or in part" is obviously relevant.

Suppose the merest glimmer of semantic deniability might be provided by the requirement for intent. As in, to the drivers of the slave trade, the deaths of all those people was just a tragic by-product of their primary goal, which was to make money.

Imagine actually making that argument though.

imitationleather

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 03, 2020, 02:29:59 PM
lmao county durham lad gets his legal firm to launch a lawsuit against the bbc for libelling his shitty little prageru knock off youtube channel

https://twitter.com/darrengrimes_/status/1279044300945399808

Hopefully this means BBC News won't invite his brokeass face on every single fucking day anymore.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

He was good as the feller who takes over from Eve's old boss in " Killing Eve".

( Dex Sawash scores an assist for this gag)

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: imitationleather on July 03, 2020, 02:38:55 PM
Hopefully this means BBC News won't invite his brokeass face on every single fucking day anymore.

imitationleather apologised today for engaging in text-based blackface in an internet comment. "It was a different time," he said. Virgin Media declined to comment.

dothestrand

IIRC, there is footage out there of Young Grimes as a pro-Remain Lib Dem. The guy knows which way the winds of the grift game are blowing. He and Tom Harwood are interchangeable in my head. What I find amusing about the Reasoned/Spiked/Spectator/Unherd grifters is that they're as thin-skinned and whiney as the left-wing, so-called 'snowflakes' they complain about. Starkey has barely done any BBC/C4 work in the last decade, so in effect, there's nowhere to 'cancel' him from. So whatever complaints the right has are ludicrous. Reasoned can have him on any time they like. Spiked can commission a piece from him any time they like. Free speech is never stifled because there are almost an unlimited places for Starkey to air his reprehensible views.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: dothestrand on July 03, 2020, 08:13:09 PM
Starkey has barely done any BBC/C4 work in the last decade, so in effect, there's nowhere to 'cancel' him from. So whatever complaints the right has are ludicrous. Reasoned can have him on any time they like.

Starkey just resigned his fellowship from a Cambridge college and lost his job at Canterbury Christ Church University as a result of his comments.

dothestrand

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on July 03, 2020, 08:43:43 PM
Starkey just resigned his fellowship from a Cambridge college and lost his job at Canterbury Christ Church University as a result of his comments.

No problem with that. But when libertarian morons start claiming he's been 'cancelled' or his free speech has been stifled, well he hasn't been on TV in yonks anyway. Let Spiked and those places give him a platform.

marquis_de_sad

He has clearly been cancelled. He's lost work from this. And good, he's a cunt.

Maybe this is something for another thread, but I really don't understand this recent trend for people to pretend that cancellation doesn't happen.

idunnosomename

he really shouldn't have been holding those positions because he's a silly old cunt

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on July 03, 2020, 01:54:23 PM
How can one be intelligent and also sexist and racist? They're beliefs for thick cunts.

He's a historian innee, that's just reading shit and remembering it.

chveik

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on July 02, 2020, 08:48:27 PM
What a stupid old fucking cunt.

Remember when he took a benny at Laurie Penny? No time for her at all but I would have happily leathered him for that.

Yeah, I remember that incident, an embarrassment for all concerned.

idunnosomename

Quote from: bgmnts on July 03, 2020, 10:09:58 PM
Haha
well reading shit written by henry the fatty is a skill in itself. but basically

BritishHobo

Imagine being an expert on the Tudors. Seventy years or whatever on the Tudors. We all know about the Tudors dickhead.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm not saying he's completely thick. But a classical education will do wonders for you if you have a brain that's a bit like a database.

bgmnts

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 03, 2020, 10:19:35 PM
well reading shit written by henry the fatty is a skill in itself. but basically

Its more the idea of a historian just relaying facts and events to the public, rather than applying an interpretation on said facts and events, for use in a historical or, more importantly, contemporary context.

What can we learn from history etc?