Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:43:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Whoah oh, livin' in a share

Started by flotemysost, July 02, 2020, 10:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flotemysost

I know there's been various threads about how people are coping day-to-day with their living situations, but I don't think I've seen any specifically about being in lockdown while sharing with randoms or mates (as opposed to living with a partner/with family/alone).

Those of you living in flatshares/househsares with one or more others: how are you coping? Any nightmarish habits coming to light, clashes about hygiene/lockdown rules/working from home arrangements? Or have you got closer and been able to help each other through it?

I've been pretty lucky, I've got one flatmate (lived together since September, via SpareRoom) - she's a lovely person, very clean, quiet, and generally super pleasant and easy to live with. The main problem is that although we get on absolutely fine, we were never especially close, and suddenly being in the same small flat 24/7 (pre-lockdown we had quite separate lives) has brought about a weird awkwardness that I've been finding surprisingly stressful, and somehow more isolating than if I actually did have the place to myself (I'm working from home, she's on furlough).

I've tried making an effort to do stuff together, but I also keep reminding myself that we wouldn't normally spend all this time with each other, and we don't really have much in common, so I shouldn't force a friendship, or feel guilty if I want to just do my own thing. Think I'm probably going to move out when the lease is over in January though.

I do appreciate I've got it quite cushy in the grand scheme of things. Been hearing some absolute horror stories - like my mate whose 4 or 5 flatmates essentially threw a massive party on their tiny back patio, everyone using the toilet and traipsing all through the flat, but he got shouted down when he tried to suggest it maybe wasn't a great idea because - as he happens to be the only single person in the flat, and the guests were mostly the flatmates' partners and their mates - he apparently 'doesn't understand.'

I bet that kind of thing's been happening a lot, but fucking hell some people are cunts.

Pijlstaart

Most disappeared back in March, so it's been quiet. One jabbering italian has been constant, he hangs out the window, a trail of moka pot grounds and grease pooling beneath him. He's a non-believer and formed a coterie of swarthy chain-smoking lockdown-flouters who congregate beneath his window, in the hopes of cultivating a sesame-street-esque barrio camaraderie. A patchwork from the forgotten parts of europe, they exchange foreign breads and tales of better times, and in time I fear they may exchange me. But for now, all is well.

flotemysost

^ heh.

Well, realising that I'm the only person at work* on my team of 12 who lives in a flatshare rather than with a partner was a little depressing (it's not even like they're all older and married, some of them are in their early twenties ffs).

As mentioned above, my living situation isn't bad, but it does feel like they forget sometimes, or on the contrary they assume because I'm single and living in a flatshare and I'm pretty sociable at work, it must be this buzzy dynamic household where I've got someone to hang out with and do fun stuff with all the time, when actually it's been really fucking quiet and awkward and lonely.

And being on team after-work Zoom drinks where everyone fucks off after one drink because 'sorry, we're cooking dinner now' hasn't exactly done wonders for my self-esteem.

Sorry, having a self-indulgent rant about something that really really isn't that bad, I know. But please regale me with your tales of shitty or lovely or OK flatmates, if you have 'em.

*and also on CaB, it would seem

Pink Gregory

Our guy's been alright (me, my partner and housemate).  He's not great on a personal hygiene level and both he and I are socially awkward to say the least so we don't hang out together or owt; but him being around more often (he's usually out doing standup/improv) hasn't really been an issue.

Which is good, because we can't afford this house without him, joy of joys.