Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:07:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

University Challenge 2020/21

Started by marquis_de_sad, July 03, 2020, 01:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marquis_de_sad

Episode one (Glasgow v Exeter) to air on 13 July 2020.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000kxwm

I'd heard that they had to suspend filming when COVID hit. I wonder if they're waiting to finish it or they zoomed it. Let's hope it's not the latter.

marquis_de_sad

Thought Glasgow v Exeter was a good match last night. Two really good teams, and I imagine the losing team will come back as a high scorer.

Weirdly, they almost completely recycled a music round from last year: https://youtu.be/ZM7QKNfKTIM?t=868. Same theme, same order, but with one different song.

marquis_de_sad

Leicester v Durham

Another good match with two more decent teams. Eyles on Leicester was the best individual buzzer, with 70 points, but Durham had a better spread of correct starters as a team. I thought Durham spent far too much time discussing bonuses only to pass. While sometimes inspiration can strike, most of the time you either know it or you don't, and it's not worth wasting time over a possible five points that you don't even get. Paxman really should have shouted at them to get on with it one or two times, especially as it happened near the near the end of the match.

I really liked the flag round, very creative.

lankyguy95

Excellent work from one of the captains this week to instantly shut down the attempt to confer on one of the starter questions.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: lankyguy95 on July 23, 2020, 11:00:45 PM
Excellent work from one of the captains this week to instantly shut down the attempt to confer on one of the starter questions.

Yeah that was great.

lankyguy95

Lovely stuff last night with the comedians picture round and the run of Rick Rubin questions. Got to feel smart watching this show for once.

Attila

Anyone else join the chorus of, 'It's Stevie fucking Wonder!' aargghh

I knew the Motown ones from the instant of the first note, but then again, 1. I'm old and 2. I taught a module on the History of Rock for like 7 or 8 years.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Attila on September 08, 2020, 09:24:48 AM
Anyone else join the chorus of, 'It's Stevie fucking Wonder!' aargghh

That was a classic case of not listening to the question, I thought: both teams apparently heard "Guess a Spanish singer." Similar thing happened when they wanted to know which Scottish King preceded another, and BOTH teams tried to guess a year.

Obviously I knew it was Stevie Wonder, and I knew the Temptations and the Supremes instantly, but I'm afraid I guessed the second one was the Supremes too.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

They've started filming again and apparently there won't be a gap as they already had enough episodes so that's good