Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:49:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your 'stop getting Bond wrong' moments

Started by Petey Pate, July 03, 2020, 01:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Dewt on July 18, 2020, 11:39:50 AM
"flying ants"

I think you'll find the Flying Ant is actually a nice little kids boat

Custard

That bloke at one of my old workplaces who kept insisting that Michael Stipe had Aids

"He HAS! YET HE KEEPS SINGING!"

Oz Oz Alice

Gulftastic

It's not fucking 'Quadbike'. It's 'Quadcycle', like Tricycle. The bike part is because of the two wheels!

H-O-W-L

People who call the Thunderchild a "battleship" or a "destroyer". You fucking WRONG CUNTS!

H-O-W-L

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on July 16, 2020, 02:14:56 PM
When people post the "Dreaworks face" meme to criticise animated films made by other companies. The 21st Century equivalent of when people used to call Don Bluth and\or other animated\family films "Disney".

Who the fuck cares about this face sincerely, though? Creating an interesting face for a marketing poster is a legitimate challenge, so going with something dependable is fine. And yet people seem to think this is some apocalyptic sign of underlying decoy and nightmares to come, like the Angel of Death wisp from the King of Egypt will descend onto the world of animation and crumble the very foundation beneath us into an unending lake of blood and torment if we so dare as have a funny animated fart cloud have its eyebrow raised and the corner of its mouth twisted. Like the very intimation of quirky smugness on the poster of a children's animation is the end-all-be-all pale horse of design. And the worst part is no cunt ever offers an alternative, no cunt offers any better solution. Do they expect to have just a large 2000ftx2000ft poster in Times Square of Shrek staring dead into the camera with a flat face, the abyssal yawn of eternal damnation burning in his beady black eyes in response to his unending tartarus - a monument to all sins - as he is forced to remain sentinel, silent, stagnant, above the glittering city of gold that we call our rock Earth, knowing that he is doomed to never feel its joys, never cock a crafty smirk or raise a cheery brow, for he is stuck in abject flat horror forever by uncreative cunts deeming an attempt at creativity -- even if it's generic -- 'uncreative' while themselves actively suppressing any kind of visual intrigue in doing so?

I rant about this because I've done some 3D promo/design work for 3D models and I've gotten feedback that the character has "dreamworks face" and that's it. No "give her a different kind of smile", no "oh that's a bit overdone that face, could we go with a scowl or an angry look, or something like X?" it's just "lol dreamworks face." Go fuck yourselves, Dreamworks Face posters. You're a total blight on eternity, and you are directly responsible for the endless blackness of the void.

Cunts, all. 

paruses

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 21, 2020, 08:56:01 PM
It's not fucking 'Quadbike'. It's 'Quadcycle', like Tricycle. The bike part is because of the two wheels!

Yes. Same with helicopter. Its helico- and - pter.

Spiral- and - wing.

Unfortunately I can't think of any example right now except ROFLcopter and I don't really know what that means. But the point is don't make portmanteaux[nb]New Yorker level pedantry there. Not sure I'm right. [/nb]  using of -copter.

Stop getting helicopters wrong.

DrGreggles

Beatles round during my old pop quiz.
Quite simple: name the song and the album it was originally on.

IT WAS CALLED 'THE BEATLES', NOT 'THE WHITE ALBUM'!

The Overtones went s*****c!

famethrowa

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 22, 2020, 11:09:20 AM
Beatles round during my old pop quiz.
Quite simple: name the song and the album it was originally on.

IT WAS CALLED 'THE BEATLES', NOT 'THE WHITE ALBUM'!

The Overtones went s*****c!

I knew that, but I just discovered Metallica's Black Album is the same story so I can be pedantic about that too, good stuff.

buzby

Quote from: paruses on July 22, 2020, 10:56:00 AM

Spiral- and - wing.

Unfortunately I can't think of any example right now except ROFLcopter and I don't really know what that means. But the point is don't make portmanteaux[nb]New Yorker level pedantry there. Not sure I'm right. [/nb]  using of -copter.

Drones with 4 rotors are usually referred to as quadcopters, and autogyros are also sometimes referred to as gyrocopters. Airbus' helicopter division was also previously known as Eurocopter SA.

seepage

Quote from: H-O-W-L on July 21, 2020, 09:16:10 PM
People who call the Thunderchild a "battleship" or a "destroyer".

Thunder Child

JesuitWrangler

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on July 03, 2020, 07:47:26 PM
I once had someone say "Of course it's Haitch, it starts with a Haitch dunnit?"  I didn't know how to argue with such stupidity so I left it there.
A bit late to the party here but in Troubles-era Northern Ireland the British Army would ask you to recall your ABC's because Catholics would pronounce the character 'haitch,' while Protestants would pronounce it 'aitch.'

It actually has it's roots in Gaeilge, where oftentimes vowel-starting nouns can be edited to mean 'hers' by putting the 'h' sound in front. Daughter (iníon) becomes her daughter (hiníon.) At least, that's where I always assumed it came from.

kittens

Quote from: Dewt on July 18, 2020, 11:39:50 AM
"flying ants"

They're just ants. Males and potential queens during the mating cycle. They're not a special species of ant.

but they are ants that are flying. "running dog? it's not a special kind of dog, it's just a dog that is running!!" no one is specifically saying it is a special kind of ant, they're just saying that it is flying.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

No one says " running dog", though. If you saw a dog running through the park, you'd just say " look at that dog, it's having a right old run. "  Do *you* say " running dog" ? Well, you shouldn't.

kittens

a shit-talkin man is not a special kind of man, just a normal man that is talkin a load of shit

Petey Pate

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on July 16, 2020, 02:14:56 PM
When people post the "Dreaworks face" meme to criticise animated films made by other companies. The 21st Century equivalent of when people used to call Don Bluth and\or other animated\family films "Disney".

To be fair, the "Dreamworks face" is pretty ubiquitous among American CG animated films.

QDRPHNC

Cerys

People are getting Bond wrong.  Do keep up.

flotemysost

Quote from: JesuitWrangler on July 22, 2020, 12:47:40 PM
A bit late to the party here but in Troubles-era Northern Ireland the British Army would ask you to recall your ABC's because Catholics would pronounce the character 'haitch,' while Protestants would pronounce it 'aitch.'

It actually has it's roots in Gaeilge, where oftentimes vowel-starting nouns can be edited to mean 'hers' by putting the 'h' sound in front. Daughter (iníon) becomes her daughter (hiníon.) At least, that's where I always assumed it came from.

This is really interesting, thanks!

Pronunciation variations don't bother me, but there are certain easily misused words that annoy me to a probably unreasonable degree. Weary when they mean wary is one I see a lot.

"I'm weary of those online phishing scams"
"Oh, had a lot of trouble with them recently have you, and now you're bit fed up?"
"No but I like to stay weary of them, you know, I'd hate to be caught out"
*kills other person*

I know getting annoyed over this is as irrational and cunty as thinking someone's pronouncing something the 'wrong' way, it just bothers me for some reason. Brought and bought is another one. Oh I see you've been bruying stuff at the shops and binging it over here, excellent

I'm hopeless at saying something is gen_____ly something. This will be me on my death bed: "I've genuinely had a good life... sorry, no, generally a good life."

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Petey Pate on July 22, 2020, 02:49:45 PM
To be fair, the "Dreamworks face" is pretty ubiquitous among American CG animated films.

That's because it serves its purpose though! Does anyone complain that forks all have the same basic fucking shape and use prongs? No! They do their fucking job!

beanheadmcginty

I was just reminded of a big one of mine while watching an old episode of Top Gear. Julia Bradbury said that the Renault Clio dashboard had "more plastic than Cher's face". That's not what plastic surgery is. It's called plastic surgery because "plastic" is Greek for reshaping.
Think of all those times you've heard people hilariously referring to celebrity's faces melting. They are WRONG AND IT ANNOYS ME. How would that even work? Just replace the flesh with bits of plastic? I suppose they do it with tits to be fair.

idunnosomename

pixar is guilty of the dreamworks face but a character 2/3s to camera is not the dreamworks face. especially if they are a fucking lamp

Quote from: paruses on July 22, 2020, 10:56:00 AM

Spiral- and - wing.

I feel the same about the suffix 'holic' for addiction (shopaholic, chocoholic...), as a comparison to 'alcoholic'.  The 'hol' bit comes from the alcohol, so it shouldn't be there, the words should be a shopic, a chocic.... yes I am aware that they are terrible words, but the 'hol' still bugs me.

easytarget

Mate of mine was on two bottles of workahol a day.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on July 29, 2020, 03:38:33 PM
I feel the same about the suffix 'holic' for addiction (shopaholic, chocoholic...), as a comparison to 'alcoholic'.  The 'hol' bit comes from the alcohol, so it shouldn't be there, the words should be a shopic, a chocic.... yes I am aware that they are terrible words, but the 'hol' still bugs me.
But the shopping is like alcohol. It's a portmanteau word like chugger, liger, Nintendogs, or positron. And if you hate them you probably hate Lewis Carroll and all Victorian paedophiles.

AsparagusTrevor

I've eaten plenty of chocahol in my time, why I had some gin chocolates just the other day.

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 31, 2020, 09:28:00 AM
But the shopping is like alcohol. It's a portmanteau word like chugger, liger, Nintendogs, or positron. And if you hate them you probably hate Lewis Carroll and all Victorian paedophiles.

oh I see... it's a portmanteau of 'shopping alcoholic'?  I'd always interpreted it as someone taking the word 'alcoholic' and replacing 'alcohol' with 'shop' but doing it wrong and leaving the 'hol'.  It's much less annoying viewed your way.

Yes, I should get out more. 

Cuellar

"Hello, Dr? Yes, I'm addicted to shopahol"