Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:05:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your 'stop getting Bond wrong' moments

Started by Petey Pate, July 03, 2020, 01:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studpuppet

Thing is, the bloke that got Bond most wrong was the author himself. He'd listen to any old bollocks someone at a party would spout, and stick it in the next book, only to be proven hopelessly wrong later (and be sent home to get a spanking from his missus - the S&M bits were the only things he got properly right).

New page spank.

Replies From View

Quote from: Captain Z on July 14, 2020, 02:42:23 PM
Friend at school insisted that the Stingray theme tune went "Stingray, Stingray, der derder der der der der der", adding an extra two der der's that would have made it in 9/8 timing. He ended up claiming he knew he was right because Gerry Anderson was his uncle and played it every morning at breakfast.

This is also known as the "getting 081 811 8181 wrong" condition.

You see them spilling out of London Underground stations, rabbling around, jostling one another with all the wild japes and bantz around them and remembering all of the past in its entirety, or so they think as they chant "081, 811, 8181 811!!!"

WHY ARE YOU ADDING THE EXTRA 811 AT THE END

DON'T TELL ME - I ALREADY KNOW WHY.  IT'S BECAUSE THE RHYTHM IS TOO COMPLEX FOR YOU IN ITS PROPER FORM AND YOUR MUSICAL DUNDERHEADITY FILLS IN THE GAP TO MAKE SURE ALL THE BEATS ARE ACCOUNTED FOR AND IT'S A NICE SIMPLE THING FOR YOUR SHIT SHIT BRAIN THAT IS SO SHIT

JESUS FUCKING BOLLOCKS IT GRINDS MY GLANS

H-O-W-L

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 13, 2020, 08:57:10 PM
I'm steering clear of The Sopranos thread, because even the most polite, articulate, well-intentioned post about how Tony
Spoiler alert
might not have died at the end
[close]
makes me want to argue with it endlessly.

Spoiler alert
Arguably even if he doesn't actually proper die at that very moment and end up face-down, he is effectively spiritually and metanarratively dead. Everything is going to catch up with him eventually in the context of the story, and, metanarratively, the story has no further continuance as written, so Tony is effectively dead at that point anyway.
[close]
So anyone who thinks that
Spoiler alert
he doesn't die is missing the point.
[close]

"You've got another THING coming" Argh...

The Mollusk

Quote from: H-O-W-L on July 14, 2020, 10:03:16 PM
Spoiler alert
Arguably even if he doesn't actually proper die at that very moment and end up face-down, he is effectively spiritually and metanarratively dead. Everything is going to catch up with him eventually in the context of the story, and, metanarratively, the story has no further continuance as written, so Tony is effectively dead at that point anyway.
[close]
So anyone who thinks that
Spoiler alert
he doesn't die is missing the point.
[close]

Wow, this is great. I purposefully never read up on any fan theories because I can't be fucked with endless Reddit knobheads blithering on or whatever, rather just enjoy the thing for what it is, but this is a really solid perspective. Thanks!

earl_sleek

Oz Oz Alice

I become incredibly tetchy about Moog being pronounced incorrectly.

buttgammon

Quote from: Oz Oz Alice on July 15, 2020, 09:10:52 PM

The moment I finally accepted I wasn't like most people was hearing a teacher pronounce this the common (I.e. wrong) way when I was about 15, and silently seething with rage.

famethrowa

It's hard, because I grew up saying Moooog and no-one knew any better, so now saying "Mogue" is still a little difficult. But I talked to the man himself in 1995, I rang America and he answered with a hearty "Bob Mogue speaking!", so that's how it goes.

(I was enquiring about a missing theremin, which is a fun thing to say too.)

Benjaminos

Quote from: pigamus on July 04, 2020, 10:26:44 AM
Nob instead of knob

rik mayall spelled it 'nob', and i consider him an authority on the matter

Quote from: famethrowa on July 16, 2020, 05:35:42 AM
It's hard, because I grew up saying Moooog and no-one knew any better, so now saying "Mogue" is still a little difficult. But I talked to the man himself in 1995, I rang America and he answered with a hearty "Bob Mogue speaking!", so that's how it goes.

And you naturally assumed, as one would, that a stray theremin would have made its way back home to Bob.

seepage

Mach as well

Twonty Gostelow

Cerys

non capisco

Oz Oz Alice

Quote from: famethrowa on July 16, 2020, 05:35:42 AM

Talking to the man himself must have been quite an experience, I don't know how I'd remain composed.

jobotic

SavageHedgehog

When people post the "Dreaworks face" meme to criticise animated films made by other companies. The 21st Century equivalent of when people used to call Don Bluth and\or other animated\family films "Disney".

famethrowa

Quote from: Oz Oz Alice on July 16, 2020, 02:08:24 PM
Talking to the man himself must have been quite an experience, I don't know how I'd remain composed.

It was unexpected, he was running a little mail-order business selling theremin kits. The previous calls I'd talked to the office lady but this time he just happened to be by the phone. Lovely man, sorted me right out. I still have both theremins they sent me, literally touched by the hand of Bob.

Oh, and it's Jilted John, not "Gordon is a Moron"

AsparagusTrevor

"You know that scene in Jaws where the severed head pops out of the boat?"

Hang on, severed? What's that body looking thing attached to his neck?

-----

I remember when the Friday the 13th remake came out, fans had a "stop getting Jason wrong moment" because the new Mr Voorhees runs, and in the originals, Jason famously never runs.

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on July 17, 2020, 01:40:01 PM
"You know that scene in Jaws where the severed head pops out of the boat?"

Hang on, severed? What's that body looking thing attached to his neck?

My grandfather who was a cool old school WW2 veteran that nothing flustered jumped out of his skin at this scene when we were watching Jaws (shark movie) when I was a kid.

One of my overriding memories of him.

kalowski

KennyMonster

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on July 17, 2020, 01:40:01 PM

I remember when the Friday the 13th remake came out, fans had a "stop getting Jason wrong moment" because the new Mr Voorhees runs, and in the originals, Jason famously

Also wasn't he his Mum (Mom) to begin with?

Dewt

"flying ants"

They're just ants. Males and potential queens during the mating cycle. They're not a special species of ant.

Andy147

Pronouncing "eschew" as if it were spelt "eshew".

jobotic