Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,484
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:19:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Have you ever been in a treehouse?

Started by notjosh, July 03, 2020, 04:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notjosh

Had a surprising conversation with an American from work today where it suddenly dawned on me that I've not once set foot in a treehouse. It's actually shaken me a little bit. I'd sort of taken for granted that I must have done, but looking back I can't think of a single occasion.

In fact, I don't think I've ever even seen a treehouse, and I can't even think of anyone I've ever known who has owned one (or else I would certainly have got inside it somehow). Do they exist in Britain? Or are they just a myth invented by American TV shows?

And for anyone who reckons they have been in one... what did it feel like?

BlodwynPig

Sin Agog

When I lived in Canada for a couple of years as a kid, every cunt and their cousin had one.  My neighbour had a VHS hook-up in his and we watched Nightmare on Elm Street up there.  The next morning, newly invigorated with competitive elan, I embarked on making my own with a pen-knife in one hand and dreams in the other.  I gave up after cutting about half an inch into a branch.

Ambient Sheep

Yes, a primary school friend of mine had one.  I was soooo envious.

paruses

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on July 03, 2020, 05:01:49 PM
Yes, a primary school friend of mine had one.  I was soooo envious.

Likewise although whenever we went up into it it was just a room that was more uncomfortable and smaller than his bedroom and no stuff to play with.

Sebastian Cobb

Nah, I knew some people with some ground-level wooden dens but never an actual one in a tree.

My cousins knew of someone who had one and pointed it out from their bedroom window. It was swinging in the wind and they weren't allowed near it.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: paruses on July 03, 2020, 05:05:14 PM
Likewise although whenever we went up into it it was just a room that was more uncomfortable and smaller than his bedroom and no stuff to play with.

Hah, yes!

And yet, somehow, it was still cool.

Sebastian Cobb

Me and a pal made a den round the back of his house. We over-anticipated how long we'd be there as decided we wouldn't want to piss in/around the den, so bought some 2 litre bottles to take care of that. I think we were there for about 15 minutes in total. My mate pissed in a bottle but I didn't really need it, which was a shame. Then we went back to my mates to watch telly.

28 we were, etc.

notjosh

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 03, 2020, 04:59:07 PM
When I lived in Canada for a couple of years as a kid, every cunt and their cousin had one.  My neighbour had a VHS hook-up in his and we watched Nightmare on Elm Street up there.

Fuckin hell, I hope you were in the UK after that, cos that's exactly the kind of North American glamour that would have left a 90s British playground absolutely starstruck. You must have been beating the girls off with a shitty stick. Fair play to you, no wonder you're still dining out on it.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 03, 2020, 05:11:25 PM
Me and a pal made a den round the back of his house. We over-anticipated how long we'd be there as decided we wouldn't want to piss in/around the den, so bought some 2 litre bottles to take care of that. I think we were there for about 15 minutes in total. My mate pissed in a bottle but I didn't really need it, which was a shame. Then we went back to my mates to watch telly.

Sounds more like my speed that.

Small Man Big Horse

I've been in many a Wendy House, but no treehouses.

NattyDread 2

Promised the kids I'd build one this summer. I've got as far as buying some big bolts.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

A friend had one when I was little, except that it wasn't in a tree. It was basically a shed on stilts. I remember it seeming about 100 feet tall, but my memory might be a little bit distorted.

It seems like something with a lot of inherent dangers and difficulties. I'm not sure why anyone would bother building one.

Brian Freeze

I nailed some planks at wonky angles up an apple tree. Does that count?
If you liked perching on a bit of slant with the added jeopardy of ripping holes in your clothes from half hammered fixings it was excellent. Used it a few times to get a different view of life and there was just room for two people up there.

Twit 2

My mate built one in his woods. It's got a balcony, bird hide style windows (it overlooks a little pond and wildlife area) a slide and a little den/cubby hole area with a porthole style hobbit door. By day it's for his little kid; by evening we get caned in it and make owl noises.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 03, 2020, 04:56:45 PM
just this one at Alnwick Gardens

Been there. The chairs are fake tree trunks. Why/how/who hasn't died yet for doing that

It does look pretty but horrible to work at, was my impression. Sulken callow youths obstructed and grimacing in their evening toil.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Twit 2 on July 03, 2020, 05:58:48 PM
My mate built one in his woods. It%u2019s got a balcony, bird hide style windows (it overlooks a little pond and wildlife area) a slide and a little den/cubby hole area with a porthole style hobbit door. By day it%u2019s for his little kid; by evening we get caned in it and make owl noises.

I hope your mate's treehouse is insured.  Otherwise it doesn't seem like the smartest move in the world inviting around the modern day Herostratus, Twit 2, to partake in activities which require a lighter.

Never had a treehouse but until the age of five I lived in a house with an outside lavvy, the use of which was probably just as much of an adventure.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on July 03, 2020, 06:18:38 PM
Never had a treehouse but until the age of five I lived in a house with an outside lavvy, the use of which was probably just as much of an adventure.

My auntie has one of them. When I was a kid I thought it a novelty and preferred to use it.

My nan used to get banished to it to smoke a tab.

Twit 2

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 03, 2020, 06:17:48 PM
I hope your mate's treehouse is insured.  Otherwise it doesn't seem like the smartest move in the world inviting around the modern day Herostratus, Twit 2, to partake in activities which require a lighter.

I suppose it is funny that something enormously stressful and costly happened to me, yeah.

Replies From View

Quote from: paruses on July 03, 2020, 05:05:14 PM

Obviously your friend lacked the imagination to set up a bucket-and-rope configuration that would have allowed the lifting of toys into his tree house.

A shit human being and rubbish friend!

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 03, 2020, 06:24:32 PM
My auntie has one of them. When I was a kid I thought it a novelty and preferred to use it.

My nan used to get banished to it to smoke a tab.

I've got hazy memories of my dad taking me out to use it so he could smoke (unfiltered Player's No.6 in a small enclosed space with his toddler son).

Icehaven

No I haven't, and I was just on about them the other day with Mr. Haven as he was reminiscing about the one he and his brothers had and how they managed to drag a TV up there before realising they couldn't plug it in. I feel denied, I don't think I've ever even seen one, but I'd love to have a go in one. There's those holiday ones but I think they're eyewateringly expensive.

paruses

Quote from: Replies From View on July 03, 2020, 06:30:23 PM
Obviously your friend lacked the imagination to set up a bucket-and-rope configuration that would have allowed the lifting of toys into his tree house.

A shit human being and rubbish friend!

It wasn't so much he lacked the imagination as we lacked a rope.

Dewt

I spent time in a couple of classic treehouses as a kid in England, but I had the kind of friends who were wealthy enough to be able to enjoy the kind of trappings that you usually only see in American sitcoms