Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:01:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Disgraced wankbeast releases new audio series [split topic]

Started by lankyguy95, July 03, 2020, 06:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

Long distance relationship.

The shit jokes write themselves.

Mr Faineant

I listened to the first one...self indulgent dogshit. His smarmy "talking-to-my-girlfriend" voice is a irritating beyond belief. Won't be bothering with any more. I actually can't believe he's put these out, they are an embarrassment even for a man caught wanking.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Is this Wankbeast doing Alan Partridge when he kisses Sonja and points out to the builders 'Look! She's not stopping me!'?

Ornlu

Garam

Any clips of it anywhere? i'm not paying for this shite.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

McChesney Duntz

I love the "Related" stories underneath, as a reminder of just how on top of the world he was not so long ago. I hope he sees it and weeps.

And boy oh boy, if that site isn't staffed by journobots somebody really needs to teach them how to fucking write.

Mr Faineant

Quote from: Ornlu on July 03, 2020, 09:10:42 PM
This could be the worst thing he's ever done.

Yep, including...you know.

(Pootie tang)

Shaky

Sounds like this "long-distance relationship" is just an elaborate ruse to be able to wank in front of a woman again.

"This time we're not in the same room - it's fine!"

peanutbutter

I remember thinking back when the allegations went public that he might have a chance of getting back to where he was in the late 00s by just accepting them and moving on as really doubling down on how much of a pathetic loser creep he was in a way that he definitely had deviated from as he found mainstream success. I'm not so sure anymore though, there's something that's just intensely offputting about him.

Is he just nowhere near as funny as he was back then? He did spend the bulk of the 10s doing increasingly indulgent stuff that didn't really make up for its lack of jokes with anything especially substantial, hitting some pretty extreme lows of mediocrity right before his career went to shit (Horace and Pete, Daddy I Love You)

damien

Did anyone see I Love You, Daddy? It's easy to forget *just how* popular the guy was pre wankathon; the film got great early reviews; Variety comparing it to Manhattan, even the Graun giving  4/5.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/sep/09/i-love-you-daddy-review-louis-ck-toronto-film-festival-tiff

There are still copies 'circulating' obviously.. 

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: peanutbutter on July 04, 2020, 11:03:44 AM
I remember thinking back when the allegations went public that he might have a chance of getting back to where he was in the late 00s by just accepting them and moving on as really doubling down on how much of a pathetic loser creep he was in a way that he definitely had deviated from as he found mainstream success. I'm not so sure anymore though, there's something that's just intensely offputting about him.

Is he just nowhere near as funny as he was back then? He did spend the bulk of the 10s doing increasingly indulgent stuff that didn't really make up for its lack of jokes with anything especially substantial, hitting some pretty extreme lows of mediocrity right before his career went to shit (Horace and Pete, Daddy I Love You)

Only my opinion but I feel a lot of comedians have become less funny since they realised they can get paid for sitting around with their mates on podcasts or just live-streaming stuff that's largely drivel. An avalanche of content, very little of which is standout. Low effort 'social' comedy, in the UK's case an extension from the panel show format which became increasingly about banter and less about the parlour game conceit.

QDRPHNC

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: peanutbutter on July 04, 2020, 11:03:44 AM
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,28531.180.html

was the bit where I began to lose interest (the episode where he goes to entertain the troops). It appears I really liked the season up to that point, too. Whatever standup special he did after that was just not good, I thought, and by that time I'd read the rumours of what he got up to - which you can enjoy unfolding in this thread - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,48179.60.html

Here's kitsofan34 nailing it back in 2012 - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=31198.0

Here's an interesting Vice article from Megan Koester talking about the atmosphere around comedy at the time. Just look at the people who were lining up to defend him - https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/evbggm/i-got-shut-down-while-trying-to-report-on-the-louis-ck-rumors (mentioned and mocked repeatedly in page 14 of the above thread)

McChesney Duntz

Those old threads take me back, and not in a pleasant way - in retrospect, it was pretty clear after a certain point that he was guilty of those accusations (especially given the way he was dealing publicly with them - not the behavior of an innocent man), and yet, in my denial, I blithely went on and happily consumed his work (even going to see him on his last major stand-up tour, ironically the same day as I attended the Women's March following Inauguration Day '17). Innocent 'til proven guilty and all that, yes, but the truth was right there, waggling itself in all our faces for some time, and I, for one, chose to ignore it.

I still think Woody Allen is innocent, though, so...

idunnosomename

remember that one time this wankbeast got to voice a talking dog in a children's movie

Jumblegraws

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 04, 2020, 06:50:53 PM
remember that one time this wankbeast got to voice a talking dog in a children's movie
He did a voice in Gravity Falls that got dubbed over by Alex Hirsch for repeats/subsequent purchases after the wankbeastery became common knowledge. I noted with interest and approval that my Prime Video copy of the episode, purchased a good year or so before the change, got switched out for the CK-free version. The baby-boomer lady at work said I should complain.

The phrase "disgraced wankbeast" is legitimately funnier than anything Louis CK ever did.

cacciaguida

Apologies if this is somewhat off topic but I watched the disgraced wankbeast's film today

I love you daddy  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EmgtkE2Kqc

The overwhelming impression I came away with is just how bad an actor he is.

I thought CGM was more than OK though, and in a somewhat complicated role.

Edie Falco steals the show but her character is rather ignored, sadly.

Anyone else seen it?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: cacciaguida on July 04, 2020, 08:38:29 PM
Apologies if this is somewhat off topic but I watched the disgraced wankbeast's film today

I love you daddy  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EmgtkE2Kqc

The overwhelming impression I came away with is just how bad an actor he is.

I thought CGM was more than OK though, and in a somewhat complicated role.

Edie Falco steals the show but her character is rather ignored, sadly.

Anyone else seen it?

Yes, it's a bizarre artefact. I'm glad it did become "available", else it'd likely get a lot more mysterious "lost art" cred than it would ever deserve.

I'd grown very weary of the worship CK was getting, especially since I thought his actual output was growing worse and worse. Horace & Pete and most of Louie since season 2 had been unbearably pretentious without much of the requisite substance to justify themselves. Ideas way above his station, basically. But he's picking up Emmys left-right-and-centre, he's turning up in Woody Allen movies, he's presenting awards at the Oscars. This is our new genius, our new Carlin and Twain and Allen, all rolled into one - it's Louis CK.

And then he's got a film. Forget Pootie Tang; as far as anyone's really concerned, this is LOUIS CK'S FIRST FILM. And it's in black and white and it's going to cement his reputation as a genius. And then right as it's about to come out ...

The bubble pops because he systemically wanked in front of women. The emperor is properly naked, and he's also got his cock in his hand. As if a spell had been lifted, everyone suddenly realises his recent work was actually shit, and his earlier (actually good) work is now just problematic. What's more, it's late 2017 and he's got this film about it basically being okay for old Woody Allen figures to bang young girls. And it's shite, an' all. The absolutely predictable pinnacle of a hacky artistic career.

But honestly, I can't blame him for that. It was close to a decade there where the whole world was telling him he's a genius, and he had to basically change his entire life perspective and artistic vision to match the accolades and hyperbole. And he would've gotten away with it too if it weren't for those pesky antics he got up to in the 90s and 00s, back when his job was basically to be a schlub telling deviant jokes.

TL;DR: I've seen 'I Love You Daddy' and it's fascinating in context, but terrible in and of itself.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 04, 2020, 08:58:09 PM
I'd grown very weary of the worship CK was getting, especially since I thought his actual output was growing worse and worse.
Reading back through those old threads, you seemed to be among his most vocal defenders (at least, I think it was you, I may be mistaken). Interesting how opinions change.

Garam

From memory noodle lizard has been consistent in thinking CK is shit but also believing in not partaking in online witchhunts. this place isn't that important, lets not start crucifying each other over 8 year old comments, its pathetic and it doesnt matter

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 04, 2020, 09:05:44 PM
Reading back through those old threads, you seemed to be among his most vocal defenders (at least, I think it was you, I may be mistaken). Interesting how opinions change.

I haven't read back on those threads (presumably the early wankbeast threads), but I actually remember feeling bad about butting heads with a few people here over Louie and Horace & Pete back in the day because I thought it was shite.

I did defend him when the early Gawker accusations came out because I thought they were bollocks given the complete lack of evidence, names, proper journalism etc.

Quote from: Garam on July 04, 2020, 09:09:59 PM
From memory noodle lizard has been consistent in thinking CK is shit but also believing in not partaking in online witchhunts. this place isn't that important, lets not start crucifying each other over 8 year old comments, its pathetic and it doesnt matter

I don't think he's shit. From 2003-2010ish, I think he produced some of the best comedy we had - stand-up or otherwise - and about one-and-a-half seasons of Louie were excellent before he started getting big nuts over the head of it.

up_the_hampipe

I've always found Louis' stand-up work to range from pretty good to brilliant, at least in terms of his specials. His weaker specials are still stronger than the stuff most comics fart out on Netflix. As far as his arthouse work, though, a lot of it is pretty wanky (hehe). Always seemed like he was trying very hard to copy filmmakers he admired, instead of finding his own voice in them. I Love You, Daddy is quite bad.

I will listen to this new audio series. Despite everything, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still quite fascinated by him, even if the respect for him as a person has plummeted.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 04, 2020, 09:17:56 PM
I will listen to this new audio series. Despite everything, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still quite fascinated by him, even if the respect for him as a person has plummeted.

There's something to be said for the fact that most of Louis's accusations refer to incidents preceding his mainstream popularity. I'd find it difficult to watch a new Linehan project, for instance, because his public "transgressions" (if you'll excuse the pun) occurred after all the stuff I admired him for, and would therefore taint my expectations and enjoyment of anything he could produce subsequently.

I don't have the same approach with Louis. I can still find Shameless and Chewed Up just as funny as I ever did. If anything, getting back in touch with that "version" of Louis makes the incidents more ... I don't know if "understandable" is the right word, but something like that. There's far less of a dissonance between that schlubby gross comic and the bespectacled artist he was when the accusations actually came out.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 04, 2020, 09:29:41 PM
I don't have the same approach with Louis. I can still find Shameless and Chewed Up just as funny as I ever did. If anything, getting back in touch with that "version" of Louis makes the incidents more ... I don't know if "understandable" is the right word, but something like that.

It certainly seems to be a missing puzzle piece for him.

I'm less than 15 minutes into this and he's joked about raping a little boy and jerking off in front of his mum at 2 years old.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 04, 2020, 09:29:41 PM
I can still find Shameless and Chewed Up just as funny as I ever did. If anything, getting back in touch with that "version" of Louis makes the incidents more ... I don't know if "understandable" is the right word, but something like that.

When he does that bit in his stand up about showing his dick to a girl with Downs Syndrome when he was a kid but it was ok because he asked her first, it certainly makes his later actions understandable.