Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:07:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Unsolved Mysteries (Netflix)

Started by Thomas, July 03, 2020, 07:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

I skipped the UFO one due to comments on here...is it of any interest - I've seen plenty of low quality docs on this story and others.

surreal

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 12, 2020, 10:18:13 AM
I skipped the UFO one due to comments on here...is it of any interest - I've seen plenty of low quality docs on this story and others.

I think it's the apparent corroboration of events between unconnected people in a number of different nearby towns that makes it stand out.  No more believable or unbelievable than some others though.

Noodle Lizard

I don't understand how all Netflix crime documentaries somehow have the exact same presentation style, down to the title sequences. As far as I understand it, they're all made by different production companies and Netflix is notoriously "hands-off", so it's really odd that everyone decides to go for that style, as parodied in American Vandal three or four years ago.

Anyway, I've seen three of these and they're ... I dunno. What you'd expect. The UFO one was terrible.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 13, 2020, 05:11:55 AM
I don't understand how all Netflix crime documentaries somehow have the exact same presentation style, down to the title sequences. As far as I understand it, they're all made by different production companies and Netflix is notoriously "hands-off", so it's really odd that everyone decides to go for that style, as parodied in American Vandal three or four years ago.

Anyway, I've seen three of these and they're ... I dunno. What you'd expect. The UFO one was terrible.

bailed on the UFO one, a load of hokey with no counter viewpoint or evidence aside from a bunch of cranks.

The repetitive presentation style is probably the optimal dopamine release stimulating combination that maximises viewer enjoyment?

PlanktonSideburns

are they all the same because all the true cime directors are desperately aping whatever is already on netflix to try and get on the platform?

BlodwynPig

CORRUPTION IN EVERY FUCKING THREAD TODAY

Thomas

I'm constantly listening to UFO podcasts, so I found the ep pretty humdrum - the corroborating accounts were an interesting feature, but the whole thing was very light, padded out with minutes of aerial drone footage. Odd aircraft and a few flashing lights over a bored rural town, and five decades later we've got people competing over their stunning accounts of a UFO. If you want to be unkind, it's not hard to imagine several non-alien explanations. No wonder it was the shortest episode.

Quote from: surreal on July 12, 2020, 03:17:36 PM
I think it's the apparent corroboration of events between unconnected people in a number of different nearby towns that makes it stand out.  No more believable or unbelievable than some others though.

I took to Facebook after watching the episode, and found that some of the interviewed witnesses have developed rivalries over the years - competing for airtime, decrying each other's accounts, things like that. The bloke with the painting received a particular drubbing. One of them owns a UFO memorial park in the area, and I think there was some competition over the ownership of that.

One of the main interviewees was complaining on his Facebook account that Netflix had skipped a load of details. Apparently the series Ancient Aliens did a better job. One comment noted that 'they [Netflix] didn't even mention the ant people'.

bgmnts

Found these quite good.

The UFO one was intriguing, lots of sightings and independent verification.

Very strange.

Replies From View

Only 20 seconds into episode 1, so it may be a little too soon to judge, but this isn't half like WHEN INSECTS ATTACK.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on July 14, 2020, 03:55:38 PM
Found these quite good.

Very strange.

ha ha ha, good one, you had me for a moment

Quote from: bgmnts on July 14, 2020, 03:55:38 PM
Found these quite good.

Very strange.

Yeah I agree, the UFO one is probably my favourite of the six (and closest to the authentic low-rent spirit of the original Unsolved Mysteries).

Quote from: Thomas on July 14, 2020, 01:05:28 PM
Odd aircraft and a few flashing lights over a bored rural town, and five decades later we've got people competing over their stunning accounts of a UFO. If you want to be unkind, it's not hard to imagine several non-alien explanations. No wonder it was the shortest episode.

Surely the highlight was the actual abductions? I went into the episode thinking it was going to be something like the Phoenix Lights but this was much more dramatic, with mutually corroborated abductions and close-up sightings of a craft. At the end of the day abduction stories are never going to be verifiable beyond the word of the person coming forward, but not being a UFO hobbyist myself I'm not sure I had ever heard about an incident like this were several unrelated people all allege similar experiences on the same evening.

Keebleman

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4737

Brian Dunning's Skeptoid podcast has just released an episode about the Berkshire County UFOs.  It looks into the oddities of the case that the programme included even though they seemed to undermine the whole premise
Spoiler alert
(such as no record of the event in either the police files or the local newspaper)
[close]
and also adds some very relevant information regarding two of the witnesses that the show wisely omitted.

imitationleather

BlodwynPig

imitationleather

The first one didn't seem much of a mystery.
Spoiler alert
He just died in the dumpster and got the injuries being transported to the dump, right?
[close]

Hand Solo

Quote from: imitationleather on October 19, 2020, 10:22:07 PM
Spoiler alert
He just died in the dumpster and got the injuries being transported to the dump, right?
[close]

The Mysterious Death Of Oscar The Grouch?

Thomas

Drink whenever an obsessed journalist stages an unscientific 'reconstruction'.

BlodwynPig

just let me know if any are worth a watch

colacentral

Quote from: imitationleather on October 19, 2020, 10:22:07 PM
Spoiler alert
[close]

He probably set off the smoke bomb, got a kicking for it and dropped all his stuff, then bricking it he made his way to that pharmacy. He got a lift to the car park but couldn't find his car, so wandered around like a homeless person for two days in the cold with no food and without his meds. He either died sleeping in the bin or in his manic state he said the wrong thing to the wrong person and took another beating.

I think all the people interviewed are desperate for it to be a conspiracy theory and can't accept the most obvious explanation.

I also wouldn't put too much stock in the idea it was Newark rubbish he was dumped with, that could just be a flimsy excuse to fob the case off on Newark police. The "partial DNA match" is also probably meaningless.

Thomas

Yeah - my partner and I (now experts thanks to 40 minutes of viewing), also concluded that he probably suffered an episode of disorientation and fell asleep in a bin. They were emphasizing 'broken rib' and 'punctured lung' as though it's extremely difficult to incur these injuries by accident - but the former is common when older people fall, and can directly cause the latter.

His daughter, too, seemed to cling to the coroner's verdict of definite murder as though the report had some sort of special, infallible insight - rather than just being a conclusion drawn by a person, based solely on injuries.

Then there was the excitable fella who constructed his conspiracy around the fact that Wheeler had removed a shoe and was looking around. 'Perhaps his foot was injured in a fight'. Didn't seem to notice that he was already limping in the pharmacy footage.

Also, 'muggers never hide the body'. Right, good, disregard that avenue entirely then.

JamesTC

Sounds like it might be worth a watch. I need a new mystery to mull over after being obsessed with the lost Dutch girls in Panama for the last couple of weeks.

BlodwynPig

Hang on, the first one wasn't the death row guy who went awol?

surreal

Thought these were way worse than the first lot, just all boring, especially the Japan one

colacentral

The second episode with the spy woman left out alot of interesting details. You can find a lengthy article about it online. It barely mentioned the man she checked into the hotel with, for example. The article goes into much more detail around him. I assume they left that part out for legal reasons; I don't want to spoil why I think that as it's the best part of the article. I really don't think the episode did it justice.

BlodwynPig

So, just leave it unwatched then. Good.

imitationleather

Quote from: colacentral on October 23, 2020, 06:31:48 PM
The second episode with the spy woman left out alot of interesting details. You can find a lengthy article about it online. It barely mentioned the man she checked into the hotel with, for example. The article goes into much more detail around him. I assume they left that part out for legal reasons; I don't want to spoil why I think that as it's the best part of the article. I really don't think the episode did it justice.

THANKS FOR THE LINK TO THE ARTICLE, MATE

JamesTC

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 23, 2020, 07:20:32 PM
So, just leave it unwatched then. Good.

It's called Unsolved Mysteries, not Unwatched Mysteries.