Author Topic: Unsolved Mysteries (Netflix)  (Read 1899 times)

BlodwynPig

• The Last Living Member of COVID-20
Re: Unsolved Mysteries (Netflix)
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2020, 10:18:13 AM »
I skipped the UFO one due to comments on here...is it of any interest - I've seen plenty of low quality docs on this story and others.

surreal

• The monkey and the plywood violin
    • toosurreal.com
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2020, 03:17:36 PM »
I skipped the UFO one due to comments on here...is it of any interest - I've seen plenty of low quality docs on this story and others.

I think it's the apparent corroboration of events between unconnected people in a number of different nearby towns that makes it stand out.  No more believable or unbelievable than some others though.

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2020, 05:11:55 AM »
I don’t understand how all Netflix crime documentaries somehow have the exact same presentation style, down to the title sequences. As far as I understand it, they’re all made by different production companies and Netflix is notoriously “hands-off”, so it’s really odd that everyone decides to go for that style, as parodied in American Vandal three or four years ago.

Anyway, I’ve seen three of these and they’re ... I dunno. What you’d expect. The UFO one was terrible.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2020, 09:59:14 AM »
I don’t understand how all Netflix crime documentaries somehow have the exact same presentation style, down to the title sequences. As far as I understand it, they’re all made by different production companies and Netflix is notoriously “hands-off”, so it’s really odd that everyone decides to go for that style, as parodied in American Vandal three or four years ago.

Anyway, I’ve seen three of these and they’re ... I dunno. What you’d expect. The UFO one was terrible.

bailed on the UFO one, a load of hokey with no counter viewpoint or evidence aside from a bunch of cranks.

The repetitive presentation style is probably the optimal dopamine release stimulating combination that maximises viewer enjoyment?

PlanktonSideburns

• and now the dream is over: the pingu is awake
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2020, 10:01:49 AM »
are they all the same because all the true cime directors are desperately aping whatever is already on netflix to try and get on the platform?

BlodwynPig

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2020, 10:56:15 AM »
CORRUPTION IN EVERY FUCKING THREAD TODAY

Thomas

• please describe an encounter with a squirrel
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2020, 01:05:28 PM »
I'm constantly listening to UFO podcasts, so I found the ep pretty humdrum - the corroborating accounts were an interesting feature, but the whole thing was very light, padded out with minutes of aerial drone footage. Odd aircraft and a few flashing lights over a bored rural town, and five decades later we've got people competing over their stunning accounts of a UFO. If you want to be unkind, it's not hard to imagine several non-alien explanations. No wonder it was the shortest episode.

I think it's the apparent corroboration of events between unconnected people in a number of different nearby towns that makes it stand out.  No more believable or unbelievable than some others though.

I took to Facebook after watching the episode, and found that some of the interviewed witnesses have developed rivalries over the years - competing for airtime, decrying each other's accounts, things like that. The bloke with the painting received a particular drubbing. One of them owns a UFO memorial park in the area, and I think there was some competition over the ownership of that.

One of the main interviewees was complaining on his Facebook account that Netflix had skipped a load of details. Apparently the series Ancient Aliens did a better job. One comment noted that 'they [Netflix] didn't even mention the ant people'.

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2020, 03:55:38 PM »
Found these quite good.

The UFO one was intriguing, lots of sightings and independent verification.

Very strange.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2020, 05:56:52 PM »
Only 20 seconds into episode 1, so it may be a little too soon to judge, but this isn't half like WHEN INSECTS ATTACK.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2020, 07:01:40 PM »
Found these quite good.

Very strange.

ha ha ha, good one, you had me for a moment

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2020, 10:15:12 PM »
Found these quite good.

Very strange.

Yeah I agree, the UFO one is probably my favourite of the six (and closest to the authentic low-rent spirit of the original Unsolved Mysteries).

Odd aircraft and a few flashing lights over a bored rural town, and five decades later we've got people competing over their stunning accounts of a UFO. If you want to be unkind, it's not hard to imagine several non-alien explanations. No wonder it was the shortest episode.

Surely the highlight was the actual abductions? I went into the episode thinking it was going to be something like the Phoenix Lights but this was much more dramatic, with mutually corroborated abductions and close-up sightings of a craft. At the end of the day abduction stories are never going to be verifiable beyond the word of the person coming forward, but not being a UFO hobbyist myself I'm not sure I had ever heard about an incident like this were several unrelated people all allege similar experiences on the same evening.

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2020, 08:04:05 PM »
https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4737

Brian Dunning's Skeptoid podcast has just released an episode about the Berkshire County UFOs.  It looks into the oddities of the case that the programme included even though they seemed to undermine the whole premise (such as no record of the event in either the police files or the local newspaper) and also adds some very relevant information regarding two of the witnesses that the show wisely omitted.

Tags: