Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:45:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

watching Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Started by madhair60, July 03, 2020, 09:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Finished it now. I agree that the second half is shit

madhair60

not sure what everyone's problem with the CGI is. it looked as good or better than its contemporaries. honestly wish cunts would shut the fuck up about CGI in general. boring as fuck

Custard

And Indiana Jones would never get married. He was married to the job. Of hunting down dusty artifacts, not being a school teacher

Sebastian Cobb

It doesn't deserve the ire it gets but it's still basically shit and that time could be better spent watching one of the original 3.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on July 04, 2020, 04:33:55 PM
honestly wish cunts would shut the fuck up about CGI in general. boring as fuck

I agree it's tiresome when people bang on about all CGI being shit. Nonetheless, it's hard to talk about a film like Crystal Skull without mentioning the CGI, when the CGI is so key to what's worst about it. 

Custard

Tell you what though, this thread is making me want to rewatch it!

Mister Six

Quote from: madhair60 on July 04, 2020, 04:33:55 PM
not sure what everyone's problem with the CGI is. it looked as good or better than its contemporaries.

Better than Iron Man? Shut your mouth.

madhair60

Mister Six

But it had better CGI than this shitfest, even in its first film.

madhair60

Sebastian Cobb

there's no compelling reason for this film to exist. none. it's certainly not bad enough to deserve recognition.

madhair60

earl_sleek

Gulftastic

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 04, 2020, 04:34:09 PM
And Indiana Jones would never get married. He was married to the job. Of hunting down dusty artifacts, not being a school teacher

His teaching job gives him ready access to barely legal tail though, which, according to Marion in Raiders, is a favourite of his.

beanheadmcginty

Russians love a bit of cosmism though, saw a BBC 4 documentary about it. So the aliens fit into that.

Custard

Has there ever been any decent IJ novels or comic books? Surprised there aren't more of them, as his adventures could go on forever

"Aaaand this story begins in Sutton, the summer of 1942..."

Catalogue Trousers

Raiders is great.
Temple is shite.
Crusade is fun.
Crystal is iffy, but better than Temple and about on par with Crusade. Which basically has far more goodwill than it deserves due to Connery. So there.

Phil_A

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 05, 2020, 07:20:22 PM
Has there ever been any decent IJ novels or comic books? Surprised there aren't more of them, as his adventures could go on forever

There's been a few novels and comics but it does seem like Indy has been under-served by spin-off media, especially given the hundreds of fucking Star Wars books that exist.

Then again I guess unlike Star Wars, Indy has never had the kind of fanbase who'll buy absolutely anything with the brand name on it.

SavageHedgehog

There is also the Young Indiana Jones TV series, which was pretty corny but had its charms (and great production values), and much of it seems to be on YouTube.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 05, 2020, 07:20:22 PM

There was a great click and play video game by LucasArts, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. It was highly praised at the time. It was turned into a comic book, just like the two sequels they had started to develop but cancelled.

Hand Solo

Wasn't the plot of Temple Of Doom and the Chris Columbus written Young Sherlock Holmes very similar.. secret Thuggee type cult doing sacrifices in an underground temple in which the protagonists haplessly infiltrate? Funny coinckydink that since it was in production around the same time and released by Amblin/Spielberg and the effects were done by Lucasfilm. Lucas is credited for the Temple of Doom story.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Colombus, who had worked repeatedly for Spielberg, actually wrote a draft for a third Indy film based on an idea by Lucas, "Indiana Jones and the Monkey King" or "Indiana Jones and the Garden of Life", that would have taken place in Africa. It was ultimately rejected by Spielberg, then by LucasArts, which developed instead "The Fate of Atlantis" as their next video game.

Keebleman

I haven't seen The Crystal Skull, but at the end of The Last Crusade Indy drinks from the actual Holy Grail, which according to the plot confers immortality on whoever should do so.  I would consider this a satisfactory explanation for surviving the fridge episode (although it does raise the question, why did he seek shelter at all?  He could have enjoyed the spectacle from ground zero if he'd had the time to get there).

Catalogue Trousers

Ah, but it only confers immortality on those who also stay within the Grail Cave and never leave it again, as with Robert Eddison's Grail Knight. Indy leaves the Cave, as does his Dad, so the Grail heals them there but loses power over them when they leave - later confirmed by the news of Henry Senior's passing in Crystal Skull.

MojoJojo

Ah, that explains how Jesus died on the cross as well, as he'd have drunk from that cup loads.