Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:50:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Missing lockdown

Started by poo, July 03, 2020, 11:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poo

First 4-6 weeks was fucking brilliant. Magical. Time of my life.

QDRPHNC

I second this. It was brilliant.

Gregory Torso

We should do it every year.

Attila

Aside from the horrors of this week, and the end of semester 'suddenly switch to online teaching,' also agreed. I'm usually so stressed out (from the commute more than the workload), that for the first time in years I was getting in a good night's sleep. Got lots of books read, got a lot of work done on a couple of my research project, and revived a hobby I haven't been able to do anything with in years.

Plus, my usual morning walks/jogs were awesome in the first few weeks -- no traffic, hardly any people around. It was so quiet you could hear birdsong, and actually smell the flowers as they started opening in the spring. Now it's back to a ton of people again, loads of traffic, and as mentioned in another thread, my worries about prepping for blended learning/teaching has been replaced by my university suddenly announcing this week they plan to sack 20 out of 70 permanent lecturers in my faculty.

Whee.

It was lovely while it lasted.

flotemysost

I know lots of people are finding this weird halfway state quite stressful. Like, it's great being able to leave the house for more than an hour and actually see people again (especially given my whining on the other thread about my flatshare situation) but it's not the same, is it? You can't fully relax or get properly pissed or just go where you like.

As much as I've struggled mentally with lockdown, there was something oddly reassuring about knowing you *can't* go out, like falling in love with an evil captor, I feel like I'm going to miss it even though it made me quite miserable at times. I've got so used to being a boring antisocial misanthrope, the pressure of having to be all sociable again is making me feel a bit uneasy.

Alberon

I loved lockdown, it was like a dry run for retirement. I could easily have dealt with it permanently. Mrs Alberon hated it, though that could have been because she was stuck in a house with me.

I went back to work on Wednesday which is weird, but very easily to socially distance as virtually no other bugger is there yet.

honeychile

I live on a main road, and the way the traffic suddenly massively ramped up three or four weeks ago was so depressing when the best thing about this whole thing was vehicles coming off the road and emissions coming down. Just hearing the hum of traffic when i left my window open was so dispiriting after weeks of calm, quiet, planetary healing.

kittens

i have absolutely loved every second, and had been looking forward in glee to a couple more months of it. it has been the best thing to happen for a long time.

beanheadmcginty

It's going to take a lottery win for me to experience that total zen level of doing fuck all that this lockdown afforded me.
Or another pandemic I suppose.
Fingers crossed.

bgmnts

I loved but people constantly slagged me for loving it because people died.

Still loved it though.

fit bird

i don't want to go back to work tomorrow. i want to eat crisps and milk myself. i want to take as long as i like when i have a poo in the morning. i want to live.
of all the immense abuses & cruelties of the tory party, telling us this could last for ages then pulling the rug from under us after only 3 months is by far the worst. i still have 6 lion bars and a multipack of hula hoops in the cupboard - what now for them? what now?

imitationleather

I was working during it but I loved the missus being at home all day and us spending even more time together than usual and going for walks and stuff. I think it did our relationship loads of good. The feeling of there being nothing going on out there to miss out on was really calming as well.

Cannot wait for the next Bang Face Weekender, though.

Mister Six

Worked through almost the whole thing so far, but I had one glorious week's holiday when there was nothing to do and my wife couldn't make me go out of the house to do proper adult things, so it was just playing Deadly Premonition and watching movies and I loved it.

New York is entering phase 3 now, but there's always the risk of some of the fucking idiots from out of state coming in and Covidding the shit out of everyone, so who knows?

sirhenry

Lockdown is already infused with the rosy haze of nostalgia. At least during lockdown you could go outside safely because there were so few folk around. And I could make parts for my project on a weekly visit to the local Hackspace because it was locked down.

Now I don't dare go out at all - last time I went for a walk in the woods, a couple of weeks ago, it took ages to find a way back home that didn't include pushing through groups of students who were blocking all the pavements. And the 'space is opening up to all and sundry again...

EOLAN

Yep. Really enjoyed it and still working from home so all good. Used to feel I never had enough down-time; having to get home late; do shops several times a week and a few times needing to go out - 'to get out of the house' with my better half. Still feel I could do with a hell of a lot of downtime but having a good big shop or two a week and some dog walks have been my perfect blend of getting out.

Butchers Blind

Loved it.  Sad about all the death and old people walking up and down their gardens but on the whole, great.  The toilet roll situation at the start wasn't a problem because I just took a load from work.

shut-in social outcasts in "liking hiding indoors from other people and work" shocker

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on July 04, 2020, 01:58:26 PM
shut-in social outcasts in "liking hiding indoors from other people and work" shocker

Can you go to the busiest pub you can find please?

Sebastian Cobb

Yes, some statues might need protecting.

BlodwynPig

Still in lockdown, friends. Livin' the dream.

Mister Six

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on July 04, 2020, 04:33:25 PM
or maybe a BLM protest?

Nah, they wear masks. BLM protests were not followed by spikes in relevant areas - unlike the "no masks" protest idiots of Michigan, who helpfully provided a control group.

Anyway, the notion of you - someone who has nothing better to do with his life than troll an obscure comedy forum where he is roundly mocked - lecturing anyone about not having a life is pretty funny. So thanks for the chuckle.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on July 04, 2020, 04:33:25 PM
or maybe a BLM protest?

Mum's calling - fishfingers and beans - your favourite. If you are a good boy, maybe she'll let you lick her private plate for dessert.

poo

Paul mate. Serious question mate. Have you ever gobbed down a foreskin?

Puce Moment

Gutted that it's coming to an end.

Sheffield Wednesday

I've worked throughout so my experience is pretty different as my wife constantly reminds me. I miss empty roads and the impending doom. It's astonishing how the culture war divide and normality teat sucklers have written off 70k deaths in servitude to convenience. You have to laugh.

batwings

Loved every minute of it. Reckon I'd thrive in a fallout shelter.

Icehaven

I'll miss not having to get up at 6am and go to work, but that's about it. 'Working from home' has become a total bore, repetitive and largely pointless busy work and I've come to hate my flat and the whole area we live in, so as soon as is practical we're moving, but even that probably won't be for months still. I'm surprised how much I've missed going out and about as I didn't think I did it that much nor particularly craved it but I really can't wait to be able to go out to the countryside or go camping or even just get on a train and go somewhere else for the day.

Psmith

You should be here in Melbourne.3000 locked in for 5 days.No going out at all.

Emma Raducanu

Am I the only one still in lockdown then? My boss called me a few days ago saying we're not back until 1st August.

I've still got another months holiday. It has been an incredible time to date. It's the first time in 15 years I've had more than 10 days off. My alarm goes at 5:30am and I've adapted to getting up at 9 really well. I haven't slept this well since I was a baby. It's shocking to imagine I'm probably going to end up back to work until I'm about 70 years old without a similar break again.