Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:14:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hamilton (on Disney+)

Started by Blinder Data, July 03, 2020, 11:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: mjwilson on August 15, 2020, 05:14:54 PM
He literally says "I'm the villain in your history" so you're probably onto something

Well he says "now I'm the villain in your history" as a result of the snap-decision he made. The show does a decent job of showing him as multi faceted historical figure.

Again, I know jack shit about these people outside of the musical so my opinion can be safely discarded.

touchingcloth

The PBS documentary "Hamilton's America" made quite a big deal about how they tried to portray the dualities of Hamilton and Burr, and in it Daveed Diggs said he didn't think much about the unsavoury sides of Jefferson when he played him because, to paraphrase, he was one of the great Enlightenment thinkers and also a horrible slave owner, and both of those things are true.

phantom_power

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 15, 2020, 09:12:44 PM
I don't know anything about Burr apart from what is in Hamilton, but I think the show does a good job of showing that he was neither a villain nor a great guy but had elements of both of those things. When I watched the filmed version it struck me that he's basically a clone of Salieri in Amadeus.

I think it does a good job of painting them both as flawed figures.

Apparently Burr was anti-slavery and a feminist. At least that is what my 15-year-old daughter tells me

Fr.Bigley

Musicals suck arse big time. This one in particular..no racing in it at all, not even a vettel rivalry. Misleading and very very political.I like tits, toast and cheap lager...and sky sports.

2/10

BritishHobo

You've got to look proper closely, but if you pause the musical at 52:13:06, you can see Abraham Lincoln showing his tits stage-left. They took it out for the VHS release though.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: BritishHobo on August 19, 2020, 10:44:52 PM
You've got to look proper closely, but if you pause the musical at 52:13:06, you can see Abraham Lincoln showing his tits stage-left. They took it out for the VHS release though.

*Unzips