Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:01:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

IDIOT PRAYER: Nick Cave solo streaming show, July 23rd

Started by alan nagsworth, July 04, 2020, 04:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

IDIOT PRAYER: Nick Cave Alone at Alexandra Palace.

Nick Cave performs solo at the piano, in a film shot this June, at the iconic London venue. Join the online streaming event on 23 July 2020.

In this unique performance, audiences around the world will have the chance to watch Cave play songs from his extensive back catalogue, including rare tracks that most fans will be hearing for the first time. The songs are taken from across the breadth of Cave's career, including early Bad Seeds and Grinderman, right through to the most recent Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds album, Ghosteen.

The performance was filmed by award winning Cinematographer Robbie Ryan (The Favourite, Marriage Story, American Honey) in Alexandra Palace's stunning West Hall. It was edited by Nick Emerson (Lady Macbeth, Emma, Greta). The running time is approximately 90 minutes.

Reckon this will be fucking excellent, since it's literally impossible to plop Nick in front of a piano and not be moved beyond words. I watched the two Bad Seeds Glastonbury sets on iPlayer recently (1998 and 2013 respectively; the former was better) and the macabre tenderness in the quieter songs is bone-chilling, just phenomenal.

But, here's the thing... Tickets for this film are £16. At first I was like "come on you cunt, I'm not paying nearly a score for some bloody pixels" but then I thought "well yeah but it is a unique concert film and it's not cheap to put something like this on, what with all the engineering and crew and everything" ... but then I read in the event details that once it's done, that's it! You don't own the film to watch again at any point in the future. It's a one time only deal. You can fucking buy film streams on Amazon for £10. Most rental streams are 2/3 that amount, right? What the fuck, dude?

So now I don't know if I can be arsed with it. I honestly think that's a really bad move. What do you reckon?

Tickets are here.

BlodwynPig

QuoteI'm having the most perfect hallucination
Green and blue patterns are forming all over me like a deck of cards
Ha, ha, ha, ha, I have a feeling this is what Allah's paradise must be like
I don't feel I'll ever be the same again
Please help
Please help
All over the ceiling are geometric patterns and lights
Please help
Please help

Puce Moment

A few things. If Nick was performing anywhere else other than the worst music venue in London I might be interested. I have seen so many bad gigs at Alexandra Palace. In fact, probably the worst was a Nick Cave gig back in 2003 or so. It wasn't built for amplified sound - the ceiling is too high. It's great for darts, mind.

Next, yes, Nicholas performing at the piano is the real drawer of this. For those of us who like his spiky, insular, primal, screaming, audience-baiting performances, and who pathologically dislike this new, Cave the Guru at these muscley, arms in the air, Jonestown arena performances, it is very attractive.

But £16 can get to fuck. That's some Leicester Square bullshit. If you pay that much you should get sent a dvd, at least.

BlodwynPig

buntyman

This is currently going out to Australian audiences and judging by the Twitter feedback so far, the stream's performing like a flaming mongrel. Surely they'll have to find a way to release it so it's not restricted to a single timeslot

Pingers

I can see the rationale for this for musicians who are struggling for money - if you say you'll let punters download it after then no-one will bother cos they'll assume someone will put it on the internet for free later. I don't know about Mr Cave's finances, but suspect they are not too shabby these days, but I may be wrong.

shagatha crustie

He does tek the piss with his prices, which is why I missed out on seeing him last time he was in the area (would have been my 3rd time). However luckily my mate is a massive fan and has paid for it and invited me round.

sardines

Most of these paid online shows have chucked their fees to charity or smaller venues /performers.
Filling Nick's pockets at a time when a lot of 'underground' stuff is fucked doesn't sit right.

I'm a long time admirer but he can stick his £16 up his bony arse and fuck off while he's doing it.

Indomitable Spirit

the economy is slow and nick has hair transplant and toppik bills to pay.

SweetPomPoms

He's pretty much self-financing isn't he? I thought that's why he's always selling so much tat. European tour was put back a year and US tour was cancelled so no merch sales for a long while. I always got the impression that each tour paid for the next album so he'd need to top the coffers up.
Stream was vimeo so it'll be everywhere for free in no time. Was alright but a bit too glossy for my taste, could have jollied it up a bit..

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 24, 2020, 09:38:21 PM
He sells out arenas, he'll be fucking minted.

Not only that, he sold out a fuckload of shows where it was just him having a natter with the audience and playing a few tunes on the piano. Minted is the correct term.

Josef K

Not to mention his various books, scripts, soundtracks etc.

It's a very cheeky price for what it is, and billing it as a big live event (with the low bitrate that comes with it) was unnecessary

justin_bennett

If anyone missed this and wants to catch it for zero pounds, clicky here

Puce Moment

I'm reminded of the time he lived in Notting Hill and had a argument with the local video shop about a late return fee he had to pay.

The Mollusk

scarecrow

Are you guys looking forward to catching this at the cinema and buying the audio tracks across a range of formats?

Pancake

I will stream the album but to be honest I think even his most paired back recent songs are elevated by the subtle tinkering behind him, ethereal synths and the like