Author Topic: Good film posters  (Read 2012 times)

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
Good film posters
« on: July 04, 2020, 09:19:28 PM »
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,43478.30.html

Is the old thread (there are others, I'd assume).

I was just thinking of the rotten photoshopping of actors in modern posters, and how nice it is when someone bothers to spend half an hour taking a proper photograph for a poster. Here's "Elizabethtown", which you may hate even though you'd be wrong to do so, but has a lovely poster, I think.

icehaven

• Marmalade's reared it's head in every course
Re: Good film posters
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 07:37:02 AM »
I'm no expert on Kirsten Dunst's legs but I'm pretty sure if her calves were really that long she'd be about 7ft tall.

BlodwynPig

• The Last Living Member of COVID-20
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 09:52:43 AM »
I'm no expert on Kirsten Dunst's legs but I'm pretty sure if her calves were really that long she'd be about 7ft tall.

5'7''

no idea why there is a youtube video about her height

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 01:34:50 PM »
Not just her height, to be fair.  If you look closely you can see four other people.

Anyway it doesn't take into account how far away they all were from the camera.  That 2cm one was probably just emerging over the horizon at the time.

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 06:22:53 PM »
Logo posters are the best posters. Ghostbusters, Batman, Jurassic Park. Every one a winner.

mrfridge

• Pissing excellence for over 3 decades
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 08:00:32 AM »
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,43478.30.html

Is the old thread (there are others, I'd assume).

I was just thinking of the rotten photoshopping of actors in modern posters, and how nice it is when someone bothers to spend half an hour taking a proper photograph for a poster. Here's "Elizabethtown", which you may hate even though you'd be wrong to do so, but has a lovely poster, I think.

I’m 99% certain that’s entirely photoshopped. The heads are a bit off and the urn and champagne glass look pasted into position.

These lot make seriously amazing film posters: https://bitnaneun.com/

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 08:30:12 AM »

Puce Moment

• Hi guys
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 10:50:01 AM »
Japanese chirashi poster for Naked Lunch:

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 11:15:37 AM »
I had this poster on my wall for a couple of years, even though it's for a film that's widely considered an embarrassment and I myself had no strong affinity for.

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 11:40:57 AM »

zomgmouse

• I love carrots
    • BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 01:35:17 PM »
Big fan of Polish film posters, both for Polish films and others, e.g.

buzby

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 02:14:06 PM »
I’m 99% certain that’s entirely photoshopped. The heads are a bit off and the urn and champagne glass look pasted into position.
Nope, it was from a photoshoot by Neal Preston (who was also the stills photographer for the film - a photobook of his stills was released after the film) for the poster. Here's some of the other pictures from the shoot:

Dunst wore the same dress, hairstyle neckalce etc. in a scene in the film, so Preston probably did the shoot on-set specifically for promotional use:

Puce Moment

• Hi guys
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2020, 03:40:27 PM »
Big fan of Polish film posters, both for Polish films and others, e.g.

Have you been to the poster shop in Krakow? I spent all afternoon there and spent stupid amounts of money. As well as all the lovely Polish posters, I couldn't resist an original Czech Valerie and her Week of Wonders poster.

notjosh

• Golden Member
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2020, 04:55:30 PM »

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2020, 04:58:46 PM »

Mr Banlon

• If you're gonna go nog, you gotta go Mingus
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2020, 05:11:08 PM »

chveik

• I feel like swimmin' in rat piss
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2020, 06:12:12 PM »

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2020, 07:58:25 PM »
Nope, it was from a photoshoot by Neal Preston (who was also the stills photographer for the film - a photobook of his stills was released after the film) for the poster.
I have that book, which (I believe, although I'm not going to get into a trivia pissing contest with buzby) was given away to cast and crew at the end of things. Well, the one I have was:

But this is reminiscences of mid-2000s quirky romance movies, not all great posters, of all time.

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2020, 10:32:11 PM »
This was doing the rounds on Twitter earlier today. Unused poster for OHMSS:

Puce Moment

• Hi guys
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2020, 12:11:35 AM »
That's lush.

buzby

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2020, 01:06:07 AM »
I have that book, which (I believe, although I'm not going to get into a trivia pissing contest with buzby) was given away to cast and crew at the end of things. Well, the one I have was:

But this is reminiscences of mid-2000s quirky romance movies, not all great posters, of all time.
That's lovely. You are right about it never being available to buy (I was getting the photobook and screenplay book mixed up). It was published by Crowe's production company Vinyl Films and was given to the cast and crew like yours, or given away as promotional gifts (there are some around that are unsigned),

I was more concerned about Neal Preston's photography being dismissed as a Photoshop job (Elizabethtown was the last time he used film as a stills photographer, in fact).

mrfridge

• Pissing excellence for over 3 decades
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2020, 07:23:20 AM »
Nope, it was from a photoshoot by Neal Preston (who was also the stills photographer for the film - a photobook of his stills was released after the film) for the poster. Here's some of the other pictures from the shoot:

Dunst wore the same dress, hairstyle neckalce etc. in a scene in the film, so Preston probably did the shoot on-set specifically for promotional use:

Oh fair play, I retract my 99% certainty! I think they’ve still both been massively ‘tweaked’ to the point where they no longer look natural, but that’s always been the case with excessive retouching (oooo-er!).

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2020, 11:58:52 AM »

I watched this last night, so I suppose it's a good poster in the regard that it did it's job.
It was great fun! Really different, which is always a good thing.

zomgmouse

• I love carrots
    • BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2020, 12:22:31 PM »
I watched this last night, so I suppose it's a good poster in the regard that it did it's job.
It was great fun! Really different, which is always a good thing.

Agreed, quite singular! I'd like to see more of Potrykus' stuff.

Here's another poster I enjoy, for its lovely simplicity:

the science eel

• dynamite sack artist
    • PRELUDIN - where goons don't go
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2020, 12:26:16 PM »
Have you been to the poster shop in Krakow? I spent all afternoon there and spent stupid amounts of money. As well as all the lovely Polish posters, I couldn't resist an original Czech Valerie and her Week of Wonders poster.

Kino Svetozor in Prague has the walls covered with Polish and Czech posters. They have a nice little shop named after Terry Gilliam's socks - and they do mail order:

https://www.terry-posters.com/plakaty

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2020, 01:10:56 PM »
Drew Struzan could usually be counted on to do a good job, even where others would surely phone it in.

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2020, 03:49:31 AM »
I just saw this one for the first time and thought it was great.

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2020, 06:34:08 AM »
Jodorowsky has lots of good posters

samadriel

• WHA' HAPPEN?
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2020, 06:56:31 AM »
"Forget everything you have ever seen"... Now that's a ballsy tagline!

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2020, 07:11:24 AM »
You ain't seen nothing yet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmR0vi0ifzE

I can only imagine that it started as a joke that kept snowballing.

Tags: