Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:07:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Good film posters

Started by Famous Mortimer, July 04, 2020, 09:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,43478.30.html

Is the old thread (there are others, I'd assume).

I was just thinking of the rotten photoshopping of actors in modern posters, and how nice it is when someone bothers to spend half an hour taking a proper photograph for a poster. Here's "Elizabethtown", which you may hate even though you'd be wrong to do so, but has a lovely poster, I think.

Icehaven

I'm no expert on Kirsten Dunst's legs but I'm pretty sure if her calves were really that long she'd be about 7ft tall.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: icehaven on July 05, 2020, 07:37:02 AM
I'm no expert on Kirsten Dunst's legs but I'm pretty sure if her calves were really that long she'd be about 7ft tall.

5'7''

no idea why there is a youtube video about her height

Replies From View

Not just her height, to be fair.  If you look closely you can see four other people.

Anyway it doesn't take into account how far away they all were from the camera.  That 2cm one was probably just emerging over the horizon at the time.

beanheadmcginty

Logo posters are the best posters. Ghostbusters, Batman, Jurassic Park. Every one a winner.

mrfridge

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 04, 2020, 09:19:28 PM
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,43478.30.html

Is the old thread (there are others, I'd assume).

I was just thinking of the rotten photoshopping of actors in modern posters, and how nice it is when someone bothers to spend half an hour taking a proper photograph for a poster. Here's "Elizabethtown", which you may hate even though you'd be wrong to do so, but has a lovely poster, I think.

I'm 99% certain that's entirely photoshopped. The heads are a bit off and the urn and champagne glass look pasted into position.

These lot make seriously amazing film posters: https://bitnaneun.com/

Puce Moment

Japanese chirashi poster for Naked Lunch:

SavageHedgehog

I had this poster on my wall for a couple of years, even though it's for a film that's widely considered an embarrassment and I myself had no strong affinity for.

zomgmouse

Big fan of Polish film posters, both for Polish films and others, e.g.

buzby

Quote from: mrfridge on July 09, 2020, 08:00:32 AM
I'm 99% certain that's entirely photoshopped. The heads are a bit off and the urn and champagne glass look pasted into position.
Nope, it was from a photoshoot by Neal Preston (who was also the stills photographer for the film - a photobook of his stills was released after the film) for the poster. Here's some of the other pictures from the shoot:

Dunst wore the same dress, hairstyle neckalce etc. in a scene in the film, so Preston probably did the shoot on-set specifically for promotional use:

Puce Moment

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 09, 2020, 01:35:17 PMBig fan of Polish film posters, both for Polish films and others, e.g.

Have you been to the poster shop in Krakow? I spent all afternoon there and spent stupid amounts of money. As well as all the lovely Polish posters, I couldn't resist an original Czech Valerie and her Week of Wonders poster.

Mr Banlon

chveik

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: buzby on July 09, 2020, 02:14:06 PM
Nope, it was from a photoshoot by Neal Preston (who was also the stills photographer for the film - a photobook of his stills was released after the film) for the poster.
I have that book, which (I believe, although I'm not going to get into a trivia pissing contest with buzby) was given away to cast and crew at the end of things. Well, the one I have was:

But this is reminiscences of mid-2000s quirky romance movies, not all great posters, of all time.

studpuppet

This was doing the rounds on Twitter earlier today. Unused poster for OHMSS:

Puce Moment

buzby

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 09, 2020, 07:58:25 PM
I have that book, which (I believe, although I'm not going to get into a trivia pissing contest with buzby) was given away to cast and crew at the end of things. Well, the one I have was:

But this is reminiscences of mid-2000s quirky romance movies, not all great posters, of all time.
That's lovely. You are right about it never being available to buy (I was getting the photobook and screenplay book mixed up). It was published by Crowe's production company Vinyl Films and was given to the cast and crew like yours, or given away as promotional gifts (there are some around that are unsigned),

I was more concerned about Neal Preston's photography being dismissed as a Photoshop job (Elizabethtown was the last time he used film as a stills photographer, in fact).

mrfridge

Quote from: buzby on July 09, 2020, 02:14:06 PM
Nope, it was from a photoshoot by Neal Preston (who was also the stills photographer for the film - a photobook of his stills was released after the film) for the poster. Here's some of the other pictures from the shoot:

Dunst wore the same dress, hairstyle neckalce etc. in a scene in the film, so Preston probably did the shoot on-set specifically for promotional use:

Oh fair play, I retract my 99% certainty! I think they've still both been massively 'tweaked' to the point where they no longer look natural, but that's always been the case with excessive retouching (oooo-er!).

Quote from: greenman on July 09, 2020, 11:40:57 AM

I watched this last night, so I suppose it's a good poster in the regard that it did it's job.
It was great fun! Really different, which is always a good thing.

zomgmouse

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on July 10, 2020, 11:58:52 AM
I watched this last night, so I suppose it's a good poster in the regard that it did it's job.
It was great fun! Really different, which is always a good thing.

Agreed, quite singular! I'd like to see more of Potrykus' stuff.

Here's another poster I enjoy, for its lovely simplicity:

the science eel

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 09, 2020, 03:40:27 PM
Have you been to the poster shop in Krakow? I spent all afternoon there and spent stupid amounts of money. As well as all the lovely Polish posters, I couldn't resist an original Czech Valerie and her Week of Wonders poster.

Kino Svetozor in Prague has the walls covered with Polish and Czech posters. They have a nice little shop named after Terry Gilliam's socks - and they do mail order:

https://www.terry-posters.com/plakaty

SavageHedgehog

Drew Struzan could usually be counted on to do a good job, even where others would surely phone it in.

Famous Mortimer

I just saw this one for the first time and thought it was great.

Jodorowsky has lots of good posters

samadriel

"Forget everything you have ever seen"... Now that's a ballsy tagline!

You ain't seen nothing yet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmR0vi0ifzE

I can only imagine that it started as a joke that kept snowballing.