Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:00:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

going back to work tomorrow

Started by madhair60, July 05, 2020, 11:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

shiftwork2

BlodwynPig

madhair60

cancelled! fucking YES mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Puce Moment

I don't know the details but I feel deliriously happy for you.

Ferris

Quote from: madhair60 on July 05, 2020, 06:14:58 PM
cancelled! fucking YES mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GET IN LAD

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: madhair60 on July 05, 2020, 06:14:58 PM

I don't know what you did to those women to deserve such a thing but I for one am appalled you'd go to such lengths just to get off work.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 05, 2020, 06:37:52 PM
I don't know what you did to those women to deserve such a thing but I for one am appalled you'd go to such lengths just to get off work.

I laughed.

Blue Jam

Back at werk again today, in for three half days this week. Currently sat alone in a deserted laboratory staring at an experiment I started so long ago I can't remember how I was supposed to finish it. Having various health and safety people popping in every five minutes for a lovely chat isn't helping either.

Also been busy following an infuriating one-way system which will cause everyone here to go "Oh fuck this" and sack it off before too long.

Can't be fuckin arsed.

jobotic

Been at work all this time. This is the first day we have the public back. Shambles.

Blue Jam

No public here at least. I could always pop over to the hospital and buy myself a nice cold Diet Coke but there's no way I'm going anywhere near the wheezing inhabitants of Covid Central.

greencalx

I've got my "return to work" induction tomorrow afternoon. I expect it to comprise a long and tedious explanation of how to follow arrows on the floor. I don't expect to actually go in until the Scottish government sorts out the situation regarding childcare, and even then only to prerecord all my lectures which will be easier at work than at home.

Blue Jam

Enjoy the twatty yellow floor stickers, greencalx.

Cuellar

We aren't heading back to the office until AT LEAST September.

YES

Blue Jam

greencalx, how complex is the building where you werk? The centre I'm based in is quite big and sprawling and I have already found myself in several situations where there are no floor arrows pointing to where I actually want to go. Today I used the lift to go down one floor because the stairs had a NO ENTRY sign on them. It's like playing Adventure Call with Falconhoof telling you  "You cannot go North, traveller" at every turn.

George Oscar Bluth II

I've been going in the whole time and all of the stuff they're doing is utter bollocks except limiting the numbers of people who come in. That's all that matters.

Otherwise it's nice, loud shouted conversations across the office with people about what you did at the weekend etc.

'NICE WEEKEND?'
'YEAH DIDN'T DO MUCH THOUGH'
'NO ME NEITHER'

Blue Jam

Yes, the limiting numbers of people thing is good. Here we've got no more than ten people per floor, which makes the one-way system even more pointless. I can go without seeing anyone else in here for a couple of hours, what difference does it make what direction I walk in?

I always thought the one-way system idea was pointless in supermarkets, it makes everything more complex and means people spend more time in there and are actually more likely to bump into one another. In a research building which is quite spacious and which was designed to meet excessive standards of health and safety in the first place it makes even less sense.

Puce Moment

I have 27 days leave that I need to use before the end of August. I'm going to save it until next month in case they, horror of all horrors, need me to come in.

greencalx

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 06, 2020, 01:37:04 PM
greencalx, how complex is the building where you werk? The centre I'm based in is quite big and sprawling and I have already found myself in several situations where there are no floor arrows pointing to where I actually want to go. Today I used the lift to go down one floor because the stairs had a NO ENTRY sign on them. It's like playing Adventure Call with Falconhoof telling you  "You cannot go North, traveller" at every turn.

I've just seen the plans for our building's one-way system. It's mental. I think ours is one of the most complex buildings on the campus: there are 8 levels with 50-100 rooms on each level, by the look of it, six main stairwells and a couple of magic secret stairways that take you by surprise if you get sucked into the deepest depths. For me, it's not too bad, because my office is on one of the ground levels (built on a slope), and in fact my usual way in is compatible with the one-way system, although I will have to leave by a different door.

If I want to print something out, I will need to walk around an entire block. To go to the toilet, I can do the same; but to use my nearest toilet it looks like I have to go down a level, exit via the fire exit, walk round the outside of the building and come back in through one of the in-only doors.

Luckily, the building isn't open to me yet, unless I'm going in for lecture recording, so I think I'll stay at home for a bit. In any case, given that the Scottish Govt haven't sorted out their childcare policy yet, I won't really be able to go in anyway. (Neither the managers nor the directors of the local after-school / holiday club charity have yet been given any instructions on how to reopen, and it's supposed to kick off next week. We'd rather like to know that we have a premises and that the distancing rules we've come up with are sane/legal...).