Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 05:00:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Missile Dancer (Crimzon Clover-lite doujin)

Started by Sheffield Wednesday, July 05, 2020, 05:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheffield Wednesday

This is a fun little Japanese indie shmup with design influences from Battle Garegga and Dodonpachi (chain mechanics) but mostly Crimzon Clover. Yeah, all pretty big talk but it's actually true and it's a great little game.

Your basic shot is only good for destroying enemy missile fire (all of which can be shot down for score) but your main weapon is an expanding missile lock-on thing which can be powered up in range and arsenal. As ever with these things, it's all about the feel of it, really, and this one gets it right. I've spent a good few hours with it and got a 1CC on Normal and Hard, and I'm looking forward to getting stuck into Expert next.

It's on Steam and the Japanese eShop, currently at half price. I paid less than a tenner for it. Well worth a punt.

https://youtu.be/o8UgDKmPw3Y

Clumpster, if you ain't played this, I bet you give it at least 3.5 bananos when you do.

QuoteLast played June 11 2018. Play time: 18 minutes

That's absolutely no indication of it's quality. I think I remember being balls deep in something else at the time and just gave it a cursory glance and put it aside for later.
Thanks for the reminder! I'll fire it up tonight.

How come you switch boys get the snazzy graphix? Fuck is this vectrex shite?

Taking a sledgehammer to my 600 grand pc tonight.

Sheffield Wednesday

Yeah, I didn't want to say because that's ridiculous. If you can look past the bizarre graphical variance, it should still be mechanically really tight.

Hey, this is really good fun!
I like the little radar that shows where the enemies are coming from, that's neat.
Thanks man, I'm gonna stick this in my current rotation.

Turns out the version on steam is a mobile port complete with optional mouse controls so they must have made a tarted up version for the switch.

I sniffed around on steam and turns out they're the guys behind that GeminiArms game that came out recently
Switch - https://ec.nintendo.com/JP/ja/titles/70010000021304
PC - https://store.steampowered.com/app/981450/GeminiArms/

I nearly bought that but wasn't really in the mood for a twin stick game so I decided to wait for a sale. There's a sale on at the minute but that game isn't discounted so I'll stick it in my wishlist. Third off on the switch though.

Just watched your video and there are loads of tweaks! Way less dead air in the switch version. Lots of extra enemies and scoring potential.
Definitely the version to get!

Area 6 in particular is a bit of snooze-fest on pc.
Still fun, but you can see that they've tightened it up a lot, it's not just a spit polish with the visuals.

I made 3rd place on normal mode today! and that's not because only 3 people bought it on PC, before you start.
There's a top ten leaderboard, so at least ten people bought it.
Gonna try hard mode tomorrow.

Sheffield Wednesday

You will kill Hard, I know it. Much more fun and more exciting. Enemies over more and faster and missiles are faster, too. Expert is holding me off for the moment but really good level of challenge for me.

Aaaaw, PC version only goes up to hard.
I didn't kill it, will try again later.