Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:45:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jack Monroe shaming Walliams' books on twitter.

Started by Sebastian Cobb, July 06, 2020, 04:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twonty Gostelow

Walliams has a reputation of being gittish and I'm not a fan of his comic stylings, but on the evidence so far this isn't Chris D'Elia-level exploitation. It looks very inappropriate obviously, and he definitely seems very immature and ultra-needy. Cage the hounds (for now).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on July 07, 2020, 12:21:44 AM
How do you get a little'un to read Das Kapital?

How do you get them to read anything - pictures, lots of pretty pictures. The victorians had them reading the classics by 5, we can do it comrade.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: bgmnts on July 07, 2020, 12:21:44 AM
How do you get a little'un to read Das Kapital?

There's a comic version by Martin Rowson.  There's a giant capitalism robot with a Big Ben cock in it.

poodlefaker

Quote from: Phil_A on July 06, 2020, 06:31:12 PM
The way these books are marketed as essentially faux-Dahl stories, to the extent of employing Quentin Blake to illustrate some of them, really turns my stomach.

Gonna stick my neck out here and say I don't really like Quentin Blake's illustrations. I grew up with the early Dahls before Blake was on board and have always preferred the 60s/70s illustrations of James and the Giant Peach, Danny the Champion of the World etc. Those books were better too - by the time of Mathilda and The Twits Dahl was just churning them out, as I imagine  Walliams does.
I used to like QB when he was on Jackanory, but yeah, getting him to illustrate Walliams is like getting his brother Peter* to do an Oasis sleeve.

*joke

Mister Six

It's not even Blake, at least not on World's Worst Parents. It's someone called Tony Ross. Who, despite having two male names, I will not attempt to gender. I've learned my lesson.

Pingers

We've listened to a few of Walliams' books in the car with the bairns to make holiday drives more bearable for them. It really is a 45° graph of diminishing returns. The first one, whichever that was, was ok and had the odd laugh out loud moment, but each successive product (which is what they are) has less originality and imagination than the last. Probably the best thing he's done is help kids to see that cross dressing (The Boy in the Dress) is fine, but he ran out of road a long time ago.

SavageHedgehog

Surprised he's kept them to more or less one a year, felt like he was cranking them out at a Pattersonian rate.

Jake Thingray

That's assuming he actually wrote them, of course.

Icehaven

Back when I worked in community libraries we'd often have parents coming in and asking for Walliams' books for their kids. Not sure how bothered the kids were themselves, but the parents seemed keen for them to read and like them whether they wanted to or not.
Jack Monroe is a fucking pain too though so I don't really have a horse in this race, I'd happily see them both fall at a hurdle and get shot (metaphorically).

gilbertharding

Quote from: Mister Six on July 06, 2020, 08:00:56 PM
Oh right, I dunno, I'd never heard of her because I don't live in the UK. She's got a bloke's name, it's a fair enough assumption.

They. They have a bloke's name.

I think. She was definitely they at one point. Never he though, as far as I know.

Funcrusher

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 11, 2020, 12:15:32 PM
They. They have a bloke's name.

I think. She was definitely they at one point. Never he though, as far as I know.

No, she's back to female pronouns now.

Mister Six

Yeah, I checked and saw references to "she". Also her blog was "A Girl Named Jack".

idunnosomename

Quote from: Mister Six on July 09, 2020, 12:42:51 AM
It's not even Blake, at least not on World's Worst Parents. It's someone called Tony Ross. Who, despite having two male names, I will not attempt to gender. I've learned my lesson.
tony ross is pretty well-known. Did the Horrid Henry books. Blake did Walliams' early books (Mr Stink) but i guess hes getting on a bit

Epic Bisto

Mrs Bisto borrows them from the library to read to our daughter at bedtime.  I dread when it's my turn because they are incredibly tedious.  Big books too, although each chapter has 5-10 pages taken up with "WHOOSH" or "UGH" written in big and kerrazy fonts.  They did some quite snobbish (one in particular - can't remember the title - had a mean mother who lived in a council flat, was fat and lazy and ate crisps all day) and the recurring Raj character is a bit dodgy (cheap tight-fisted Asian corner shop owner stereotypes).  My daughter liked them though.  I assume that he got ghostwriters in to churn out his post-it notes of fevered unfunny shit - the soulless fucker has got plenty of money to burn.

In a way, I wish we could read another one instead of what's currently being read to her.  Yes, the first Cuntface Potter and the Chamber Of Fucking Cunts book.  This is real grit-your-teeth shite.

As for Jack Monroe, I haven't got a problem with her.  As others have pointed out above she bankrupted Hatie Kopkins so she's a great bunch of gals in my book.

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: Epic Bisto on July 12, 2020, 10:35:40 AMAs for Jack Monroe, I haven't got a problem with her.  As others have pointed out above she bankrupted Hatie Kopkins so she's a great bunch of gals in my book.

Jack Monroe is non-binary transgender, so although you're trying to offer praise you're actually committing a hate crime by using that expression.

JaDanketies

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on July 12, 2020, 10:41:48 AM
Jack Monroe is non-binary transgender, so although you're trying to offer praise you're actually committing a hate crime by using that expression.

It's not a hate crime to misgender someone. It's merely impolite. Calling it a hate-crime is weird - makes me think you're mocking NB people or efforts to be polite to them? 'In this day and age, you can't even call Jack Monroe 'she'.'

Anyway she goes by 'she' and 'they' pronouns. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Monroe#Personal_life

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 12, 2020, 10:48:36 AM
It's not a hate crime to misgender someone.

Anyway she goes by 'she' and 'they' pronouns. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Monroe#Personal_life

I get mixed signals about misgendering being a hate crime from here. A lot of people reckon it is. It's the expression 'bunch of gals' which I thought was comedically dicey. Not so much the pronouns.

idunnosomename

Great bunch of lads mispluralises singular individuals

JaDanketies

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on July 12, 2020, 10:52:46 AM
I get mixed signals about misgendering being a hate crime from here. A lot of people reckon it is. It's the expression 'bunch of gals' which I thought was comedically dicey. Not so much the pronouns.

you legit think anyone here thinks misgendering is a criminal offence, let alone a hate crime?

earl_sleek

I don't think misgendering someone is a crime in the sense you could be prosecuted, but it's a cunt thing to do deliberately. Fortunately that hasn't happened here.

JaDanketies

Quote from: earl_sleek on July 12, 2020, 11:20:57 AM
I don't think misgendering someone is a crime in the sense you could be prosecuted, but it's a cunt thing to do deliberately. Fortunately that hasn't happened here.

agreed

idunnosomename

Jack's been under a massive amount of pressure recently. partner left at the beginning of the year, took on a kitten which was congenitally fucked but insisted on looking after, which has just died today. imo its not good for all this to be playing out on social media.

good egg, great recipes, but needs to get out of the endlessly online limelight for their own health. walliams and his shit books will easily weather this sadly

The Mollusk

Quote from: earl_sleek on July 12, 2020, 11:20:57 AM

Yes, fortunately all we have in this thread is the ultra-progressive use of faux-woke irony to pass off unpleasant or ignorant attitudes as coy naivety.

Jockice

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 14, 2020, 12:42:43 AM
Jack's been under a massive amount of pressure recently. partner left at the beginning of the year, took on a kitten which was congenitally fucked but insisted on looking after, which has just died today. imo its not good for all this to be playing out on social media.

good egg, great recipes, but needs to get out of the endlessly online limelight for their own health. walliams and his shit books will easily weather this sadly

I follow Jack on Twitter despite having no interest whatsoever in food but didn't know any of this. I knew she was battling alcoholism but none of this other stuff came up on my timeline. Or if it did I didn't notice it. I agree about the bits about her being a good egg and needing to keep out of the limelight though.

greenman

"He got my kinds into reading" feels like "McDonalds got my kids into eating out"

earl_sleek

That is a shame to hear. I get why people find her annoying but I think she's a good person who's done a lot for others, in spite of her own problems.

ajsmith2

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 12, 2020, 10:01:26 AM
tony ross is pretty well-known. Did the Horrid Henry books. Blake did Walliams' early books (Mr Stink) but i guess hes getting on a bit

I used to assume that Tony Ross was some younger guy who pastiched Blake's style for dosh (like how Walliams is analogous to Dahl) but I recently found out he's only 6 years younger than Blake himself and is essentially of the same generation as him - he's 81, Blake is 87. So Ross illustrated all that Walliams stuff about farts and puke etc in his eight and ninth decades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Ross

(and yeah, Blake just did DWs first 2 books, Boy In the Dress and Mr Stink before handing over to Ross, but Ross isn't quite the Happy Shopper off brand Blake he appears to be: it's more like a Gerald Scarfe/Ralph Steadman situation).

Sebastian Cobb

I've followed her for years on twitter and it seems to be a case of perpetual calamity. Some of it seems to be very bad luck but some of it isn't. I agree that it playing out on twitter is grim.

I could only see the cat thing going one way after she asked for vet recommendations after rejecting her vets advice that the kindest thing to do would be to put it to sleep.

Ambient Sheep

No new info, but a nonetheless amusing little piece on Walliams from Popbitch last week:

QuoteA few years ago, we wrote a story about David Walliams that resulted in us receiving a pretty salty letter from his publishers, HarperCollins. They felt that, by alleging he didn't always care for the company of children, we owed Walliams an apology.

We didn't make one, but maybe we should have done?

Given the screenshots of private Twitter messages that emerged on social media this week – in which he appears to have generously invited some 17 year old girls to meet up with him at Britain's Got Talent – it seems David Walliams does enjoy the company of children after all and we were wrong to suggest otherwise.

We couldn't be happier to correct the record.

:-)

Twonty Gostelow

A few hours ago MailOnline exhumed some Australian concert footage ("shocking") of Walliams pulling male audience members' strides and undercrackers down as part of a Little Britain live sketch 13 years ago - the angle being it could have been coercive and inappropriate. Seems like he's just this month's arbitrary unpopular celeb being targeted in the hope of eliciting something scandalous.