Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:30:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jack Monroe shaming Walliams' books on twitter.

Started by Sebastian Cobb, July 06, 2020, 04:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

nothing scandalous about making 17 year old girls sign NDAs eh

Phil_A

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on July 16, 2020, 01:58:41 AM
A few hours ago MailOnline exhumed some Australian concert footage ("shocking") of Walliams pulling male audience members' strides and undercrackers down as part of a Little Britain live sketch 13 years ago - the angle being it could have been coercive and inappropriate. Seems like he's just this month's arbitrary unpopular celeb being targeted in the hope of eliciting something scandalous.

I'm not sure you can defend this to be honest, it sounds utterly humiliating and bordering on assault.

There's an interesting anecdote from our own Dr Christian Troy who actually witnessed one those shows. It sounded well dodgy.

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on January 23, 2020, 01:18:11 PM
Did I ever tell you about the time I saw Little Britain live when they were touring Australia?

It was in a venue resembling a gym hall, in Perth. It was Matt Lucas's birthday so they seemed half cut throughout the evening and didn't seem to care that they fucked up the lines.

I don't know what the protocol is in Australia when it comes to age-restriction, but there families with children and teenagers there - and for a fair proportion of the audience in attendance, the show was deeply inappropriate.

Especially when Walliams played his Des Kaye character and invited people to come on stage to play "Hide The Sausage" - which culminated in Walliams successfully pulling the trousers down and then attempting to pull the underwear down on a teenage boy from the audience. The audience were initially laughing and then kind of just...stopped. The boy then went with them backstage and then his family were sent to join him by security, and they didn't return for Act 2. It was pretty fucking appalling.

Twonty Gostelow

I wasn't defending it - I'm not a Walliams or LB fan - but it definitely seems that there's an ongoing trawl of Walliams's history for some reason.
I don't remember reading CT's post but it does sound grim, and it looked bad in the article despite the audience and guys onstage laughing. It's from a BBC documentary that was shown years ago but I don't know if there were complaints then. His defence in the documentary to a complaint from a rape victim certainly seems very glib. That clip is in the article  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8524613

Brundle-Fly

The Daily Mail are using Walliams to beat the BBC again. They'll be after Herr Lipp next. Anything to make the Beeb look bad.

idunnosomename

Quote from: ajsmith2 on July 14, 2020, 11:49:41 AM
I used to assume that Tony Ross was some younger guy who pastiched Blake's style for dosh (like how Walliams is analogous to Dahl) but I recently found out he's only 6 years younger than Blake himself and is essentially of the same generation as him - he's 81, Blake is 87. So Ross illustrated all that Walliams stuff about farts and puke etc in his eight and ninth decades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Ross

(and yeah, Blake just did DWs first 2 books, Boy In the Dress and Mr Stink before handing over to Ross, but Ross isn't quite the Happy Shopper off brand Blake he appears to be: it's more like a Gerald Scarfe/Ralph Steadman situation).

also parents and children of a certain age will know his big breakthrough "I want my potty" published 1984. which he wrote and illustrated. I think Blake was only ever really an illustrator.

neveragain

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 16, 2020, 03:24:50 PM
The Daily Mail are using Walliams to beat the BBC again. They'll be after Herr Lipp next. Anything to make the Beeb look bad.

Since you mention Herr Lipp, it's worth mentioning the Des Kaye bit from Little Britain Live was a total rip off of Herr Lipp's audience participation segment from the Local Show. The only difference being Pemberton didn't assault anyone, just handed them a saveloy.

Famous Mortimer