Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:18:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Face Masks

Started by Cuellar, July 06, 2020, 05:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

What are people doing about them? Making them? Buying them? Where to get them, that's a key question.

I've seen a few places you can order them from online, but are they any good, I wonder? I suppose you just have to try it.

There's also a site where you can design your own: https://www.contrado.co.uk/custom-face-masks?browsedesign

There's a fetching 'FUCKTHETORIES' one on there. And of course you can just write CUNT across it in big letters, which is a lot of fun. But you wouldn't actually wear it then, would you, so it sort of defeats the purpose. Still, a lot of fun to see it mocked up and to imagine wearing it.

dissolute ocelot

Allegedly a lot of companies like ASOS, Gap, and Boden are doing them. I bought a couple from eBay and Etsy and while the design is OK the quality is poor (similar or worse to the authentically homemade ones I've seen). But better that than Amazon which seems entirely full of scammers selling tissue paper masks stuffed into dirty envelopes based on the comments.

Personally I don't understand why the government is giving out free condoms but not facemasks. And pulling a condom over your head is not recommended by the CDC.

Sebastian Cobb

I got both of mine from what looked like little more than someone with a sewing machine and they've been fine. The idea of giving it to a brand or hipster designer jumping on the bandwagon just seemed fundamentally wrong.

This was the better one of the two, the nose wire makes a big difference:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224038048930

The designs on the fabric are pretty horrid (I got the pirates one) but they're well made and have some plain colours.

Dewt

imitationleather

It's the word on the street, but you didn't hear it from me.

Head Gardener

Chedney Honks

It's genuinely baffling why the UK is so far behind on masks. It doesn't bother me that much because I don't care if hundreds of thousands of people die just so I can say I was right but it is very weird. A strange combination of English contrarianism and an unwillingness to 'make a fuss', probably mixed up with some culture war snowflake perception phobia and the kind of fragile masculinity which results in a decrease in seatbelt use.

Head Gardener

my main problem is that wearing a mask is a pain in the arse

olliebean

Quote from: Head Gardener on July 07, 2020, 10:13:19 AM

You're wearing it wrong.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Head Gardener on July 07, 2020, 10:13:19 AM

You should try wearing a vent 😂😂😂

Cuntbeaks

People are selfish cunts, it's as simple as that.

Pub cunts, beach cunts, mask-less cunts, lazy cunts, me me me cunts.

Cuellar

I'm paralysed by indecision - Asos are selling them, and donating a quid per mask(? or order) to Oxfam. On the other hand, I can go on Etsy or something and directly support some random stranger who might be out of work or fucked in some way by lockdown.

WHAT'S THE BEST THING

Uncle TechTip

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cuellar on July 07, 2020, 11:29:00 AM
I'm paralysed by indecision - Asos are selling them, and donating a quid per mask(? or order) to Oxfam. On the other hand, I can go on Etsy or something and directly support some random stranger who might be out of work or fucked in some way by lockdown.

WHAT'S THE BEST THING

Cut out the pointless middlemen and use eBay.

Cuellar

Isn't that just what Etsy is?

Cloud

You can get them basically everywhere now, whole world is cashing in on it.

Doesn't have to be anything special as it's not personal protection but a communal solution that prevents asymptomatic people from unknowingly spreading it about.  (And symptomatic people, obvs, but it's the asymptomatic i.e. effectively EVERYONE else, who need convincing)

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cuellar on July 07, 2020, 11:40:36 AM
Isn't that just what Etsy is?

I always assumed Etsy were the middle people, a bit like redbubble but with more people on the supply stream.

Probably got it all wrong though. I never really bothered to confirm my assumption.

imitationleather

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 07, 2020, 07:04:00 PM
I always assumed Etsy were the middle people, a bit like redbubble but with more people on the supply stream.

Probably got it all wrong though. I never really bothered to confirm my assumption.

Gasp! The Middle People?!

Talking of Etsy, check out this cunt*;

https://twitter.com/jupy314/status/1280536679443361792?s=21

*The seller, not the tweeter

JaDanketies

I got a bunch from Redbubble. Mine is Silence of the Lambs-themed. I was looking for birthday pressies for my mum and got carried away

Cuellar

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 08, 2020, 05:02:48 AM

I mean christ of course these won't work. Stupid bastards.

BlodwynPig

*and the tweeter

QuoteJupy ٩(๑❛ᴗ❛๑)۶
@jupy314
·
9h
I never thought I'd have a viral tweet ever. If anyone wants to support me, you can check out my Etsy :) I draw and make cute things.

Attila

Dr Trouser

That's just an old pair of ladies lacy pants isn't it?

Malcy

I'll have to get one in the next couple of days or won't be able to go to the shops. The Scottish Government website says something along the lines of "we don't really think they'll be much help but just wear one anyway" and then gives a load of excuses for you to use for not wearing one.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Malcy on July 08, 2020, 01:42:27 PM
I'll have to get one in the next couple of days or won't be able to go to the shops. The Scottish Government website says something along the lines of "we don't really think they'll be much help but just wear one anyway" and then gives a load of excuses for you to use for not wearing one.
The English government advice tells you how to make a face covering, the Scottish advice tells you to wear a scarf or burqah/niqab. I don't know if this is a comment on the relative craft skills north and south of the border, or expectation of the apparel a Scot will have (what Scottish man doesn't like to wear a burqah and sneak into ladies' toilets?). Fortunately while a quite a few Scots seem to have access to medical-style masks, none seem to think a Rangers scarf is acceptable diseasewear.

I'm also wondering if constantly eating chips is a suitable excuse for not wearing one.

Sebastian Cobb

Puce Moment

Holy shit, if you don't know that you can make an easy face mask from the sleeve of a t-shirt then you have never had to quickly disguise yourself amongst other masked up people.

Malcy

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 08, 2020, 03:50:51 PM
Scottish gov have done succinct instructions too.

https://mobile.twitter.com/scotgov/status/1280532028614602754

Fuckin hell, could they not get an actual person to do the voiceover?

Sebastian Cobb

I hope once this dies down everyone remembers to keep their masks for their next bit of protest/civil disobedience. The police will love that.