Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:31:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Face Masks

Started by Cuellar, July 06, 2020, 05:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 08, 2020, 03:50:51 PM
Scottish gov have done succinct instructions too.

https://mobile.twitter.com/scotgov/status/1280532028614602754

looks like I picked the wrong week to move to Scotland

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 08, 2020, 03:50:51 PM
Scottish gov have done succinct instructions too.

https://mobile.twitter.com/scotgov/status/1280532028614602754

Fuck, that's bleak. No "sew neatly around the edges", just scissors and elastic bands. Has anybody tried one of these homemade no-sew masks? I can't believe they'd work: even a proper mask doesn't stay put very well if you're doing a lot of bending down and turning round. But surely the government wouldn't promote something that doesn't work?

Sheffield Wednesday

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 09, 2020, 11:43:51 AM
But surely the government wouldn't promote something that doesn't work?

😂😂😂

Jollity

I ordered one from Etsy, but it doesn't go down under the chin, so if I opened my mouth, I could spread all manner of horrible diseases all over the place. The pictures on the seller's page showed them as big enough to fit under the chin. I may leave a disagreeable review.

Sheffield Wednesday

Seems even cunty bollocks has finally clocked that masks are actually going to help. Not sure why he's saying get the fuckin numbers down and then masks because masks will bring the numbers down faster you jacket potato and cheese looking dumpy cunt but I'll take it as the standard pre-announcement announcement that these stammering cunts usually make before their bollocks are dropped for them.

Hope they all fucking cark it in the meantime 😂😂😂

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 09, 2020, 11:43:51 AM
Fuck, that's bleak. No "sew neatly around the edges", just scissors and elastic bands. Has anybody tried one of these homemade no-sew masks? I can't believe they'd work: even a proper mask doesn't stay put very well if you're doing a lot of bending down and turning round. But surely the government wouldn't promote something that doesn't work?

I did the guardian instructions using an old tshirt here:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/11/make-non-medical-coronavirus-face-mask-no-sewing-required

Because I wear sort-of wayfarer style glasses (clear 'cos I'm a cunt) it wasn't much cop, but for someone without gegs it had potential.

Cloud

Classic Boris.  Weeks of dithering and "nah it'll be reet" then U-turn.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cloud on July 11, 2020, 12:38:09 AM
Classic Boris.  Weeks of dithering and "nah it'll be reet" then U-turn.

Why no resource piled into this. Free masks sent to every person in the UK, or Mask stations set up in every town, or something like this? Is it advise or the law now? How will it be policed? Is there a standard that the masks must meet or can we wear gossamer winged sanitary pads?

NONSENSE GOVERNMENT, BURN THE HOUSE OF PARLIAMENT TO THE GROUND

The Culture Bunker

If it's wearing masks when we're at the shops, is it going to be the same when we're sent back to work in offices? I'd have thought you'd be more at risk there than your local Co-op.

idunnosomename

I will wear anything if its free

Head Gardener

got the missus a mask from Tescos

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 11, 2020, 10:21:13 AM
If it's wearing masks when we're at the shops, is it going to be the same when we're sent back to work in offices? I'd have thought you'd be more at risk there than your local Co-op.

Yeah, I wondered that. Most of my clinical work face to face is in small office rooms with poor ventilation. I'm guessing a mask would help?

Head Gardener

Blue Jam

I had an Altern8-style N95 mask and a plain black fabric one but have lost both, so I've been using the first scarf I found in the house. It's a blue cotton scarf with a white print of Mexican Day of the Dead sugar skulls. It took me a little while to realise how this is both very apt and very inappropriate.

Fuckit, gonna keep wearing it.

sirhenry

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 11, 2020, 06:54:03 PM
I had an Altern8-style N95 mask and a plain black fabric one but have lost both, so I've been using the first scarf I found in the house. It's a blue cotton scarf with a white print of Mexican Day of the Dead sugar skulls. It took me a little while to realise how this is both very apt and very inappropriate.

Fuckit, gonna keep wearing it.
This is the one I've been wearing since the beginning - it's remarkably good at making people keep 2m away. Hopefully yours works just as well, Blue Jam.

Blue Jam

Like it, very Ray and Charles Eames.

tao of wub

What does it all mean for masks?

N95, filters out 95% of particles.  P95 is the same but can filter oil droplets too.
FFP3, very similar to N95.
FFP2, not as good as FF3, but still good.

These masks utilise electrostatic attraction to trap particles, so can stop particles which are smaller than the holes in the mesh.  (Mask deniers often use the argument that viral particles are very small and will go through a mask, but they speak from ignorance).

They will stop you from breathing in many but not all viral particles.

BUT wearing ANY face covering which will trap the droplets you are exhaling will have a beneficial effect on reducing the spread of droplet spread diseases, which it seems pretty certain COVID19 is going to turn out to be.

Back at the end of March NYT published a sewing pattern for masks, its not behind a paywall..

https://www.nytimes.com/article/how-to-make-face-mask-coronavirus.html

If you can sew, you can make a face mask with a little pocket in it, you can use a HEPA vacuum cleaner bag and cut out a rectangle and sew round the edges to seal it up and insert that as a filter.

A Henry vacuum HEPA bag is about N85 rated, i.e. stops 85 percent of particles.  Suck on that Dyson!

I already had masks but ordered some 3M FFP3 masks from ARCO UK but they wont come for ages.

For some reason the WHO have refused to look at airborne transmission, (probably too busy playing pinball).  How droplets can be non-infective until they land on a surface then get transferred hand to mouth is a bit of a puzzler in this case.

239 scientists wrote to the WHO to argue their case.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/scientists-urge-consideration-of-airborne-sars-cov-2-transmission-67702

There is an absolutely huge gap between countries like Japan and UK and US in deaths, which is hard to explain away other than their use of masks.

I can only imagine that the UK position was that having chronically underfunded the NHS they knew that they would not be able to get enough masks for even healthcare workers, so discouraged a run on masks by the public.

I honestly thought that they were going to send out masks to every household at the start of the quarantine but that would be too caring for the current gov.  It seems that having failed implement a strategy based on  the results of their pandemic preparedness study Operation Cygnus back in 2016 they now simply don't give a toss.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/29/uk-strategy-to-address-pandemic-threat-not-properly-implemented

If you have made it this far and are interested in the vaccine situation, Derrick Lowe does a great roundup of the news on his blog,

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/

Quote from: tao of wub on July 11, 2020, 08:19:14 PM
I honestly thought that they were going to send out masks to every household at the start of the quarantine but that would be too caring for the current gov.  It seems that having failed implement a strategy based on  the results of their pandemic preparedness study Operation Cygnus back in 2016 they now simply don't give a toss.

It is continually shocking every time I think about how incompetent the governments of the US and UK are being. Even in a country the size of the US I feel like they could have long ago sent rudimentary cloth masks to every single person for a not particularly significant cost, like $1-2 billion. Send every address a mask in the mail, require everyone to wear at least a rudimentary cloth mask in public (with actual enforcement), and the problem would mostly be solved.

olliebean

Note that the government's latest wheeze is to encourage people to go and eat out at restaurants, an activity which it is physically impossible to do whilst wearing a mask. I honestly think they actually want a second wave, for whatever reason - whether it's their stupid herd immunity strategy, or whether it's for the sake of something else to blame when Brexit goes horribly wrong, or whether they actively want the NHS to be overwhelmed as proof that it's unsustainable as a public service, or whatever.

tao of wub

Quote from: olliebean on July 11, 2020, 08:30:29 PM
whether it's their stupid herd immunity strategy...something else to blame when Brexit goes horribly wrong...whether they actively want the NHS to be overwhelmed as proof that it's unsustainable as a public service...

All of the above probably. 
BOZO has form for ignoring anything which he doesn't like too.  I have seen a video of him with his hands over his ears shouting, "I'm not listening", when challenged on something.

There is no real consensus on the science of herd immunity anyway with respect to Covid19[nb]edited as realized it wasn't clear.  We do know about herd immunity but not for Covid19[/nb].  A study in Spain did not find many people to have antibodies and we don't know how long they may persist for either.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-spain-idUSKBN22P1IK

NY found more people to have antibodies in a recent study, but the data is not normalised to take any account of any bias in the sampling.

A note on masks, you really need to avoid touching your mask then eyes or face, until you have clean hands again.  This is one of the governments excuses for being anti mask.  It is a rubbish argument.  Lots of people don't do up their crash helmet tight enough on motorcycles, but you still have to wear one!

One of my Tory loving neighbours thinks that the gov should have kept Corona secret to help achieve herd immunity!  He is a proper muppet though.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: olliebean on July 11, 2020, 08:30:29 PM
Note that the government's latest wheeze is to encourage people to go and eat out at restaurants, an activity which it is physically impossible to do whilst wearing a mask. I honestly think they actually want a second wave, for whatever reason - whether it's their stupid herd immunity strategy, or whether it's for the sake of something else to blame when Brexit goes horribly wrong, or whether they actively want the NHS to be overwhelmed as proof that it's unsustainable as a public service, or whatever.
Hasn't the Divine Johnson put the boot into the public for enjoying working at home too much, and that we all need to get back into the grind of commuting and spending money on our lunch breaks?

jobotic

So we have t wear masks in shops when we're yrting to get inand out as quickly as possible (no problem, have been for weeks) bit we can give it all that in the boozer without them (not going to the boozer yet, no problem).

steveh

Quote from: tao of wub on July 11, 2020, 08:58:08 PM
A study in Spain did not find many people to have antibodies and we don't know how long they may persist for either.

It says here that it's easier to measure antibody levels than other aspects of the immune system (memory B and memory T cells, which can remain for decades) and that may give an imperfect picture of immunity.

I've been looking for an article that's a simple introduction to immunology aimed at general audience as the whole area is confusing - and coronaviruses seem to also be a special case - but haven't come across one.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: steveh on July 12, 2020, 09:01:23 AM
It says here that it's easier to measure antibody levels than other aspects of the immune system (memory B and memory T cells, which can remain for decades) and that may give an imperfect picture of immunity.

I've been looking for an article that's a simple introduction to immunology aimed at general audience as the whole area is confusing - and coronaviruses seem to also be a special case - but haven't come across one.

might be a good resource or are you looking for something a bit more specific?

https://www.immunology.org/public-information/bitesized-immunology

steveh

Thanks - from there found this a useful intro and this Twitter thread has the basics.

Cuntbeaks

Suggested to a woman in Asda earlier she should be wearing a mask. She followed me for a bit before suggesting that they didn't work, how I shouldn't believe the government and something about nazis/gas chambers. I told her to get the fuck away from me.

The mandatory wearing of masks will only be effective if the shops actively enforce it.

Mr Banlon

"I will NEVER wear a mask !"
Trump wears a mask
"Oooh I gotta get one of them badass masks !"
https://twitter.com/Fritschner/status/1282091215463354373/photo/1

bgmnts

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on July 12, 2020, 06:53:49 PM
Suggested to a woman in Asda earlier she should be wearing a mask. She followed me for a bit before suggesting that they didn't work, how I shouldn't believe the government and something about nazis/gas chambers. I told her to get the fuck away from me.

Kind of brought that on yourself though to be fair.

Cloud

It's not like the government is saying anything they want people to believe either way.  You've got one guy hinting at making them law and another saying they shouldn't.  Usual "do whatever the fuck you want" mixed messages