Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:08:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Face Masks

Started by Cuellar, July 06, 2020, 05:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

i forgot a proper face covering today but I tied a towel in my car around my face, I hope Im not a cunt. I don't like it, think it should've been brought in earlier, but am willing to do it for a public health emergency though

look at these yer das tho lol

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23KBF

BlodwynPig

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 25, 2020, 08:53:14 PM
i forgot a proper face covering today but I tied a towel in my car around my face, I hope Im not a cunt. I don't like it, think it should've been brought in earlier, but am willing to do it for a public health emergency though

look at these yer das tho lol

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23KBF

thanks

chveik

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 25, 2020, 06:10:50 PM
A small price to pay for the gift of a functioning body that works properly.

you have to change it regularly though. it's a disgrace that governments don't provide them freely.

tao of wub

What a bunch of capsized brains these mask protestors must have.  They look so pleased with their pointless rebellion.  Is it just about getting some attention or what?

They are like the voters who picked Trump and other shitty things because they thought it would be top bants to fuck things up.

For a number of years I have been hoping to develop the psionic powers showcased in Cronenberg's "Scanners" so I have some way making a positive change in the world.

Small Man Big Horse

You're not wrong though at the same time someone's clearly making a big old profit from death and misery, and that fucks me off. It's also why I always take three masks out with me, just in case one of them breaks and then a bird swoops down and steals the other from my face. Which may sound like my taking the piss but it's genuinely true.

Walking past various shops in Walthamstow I'd say between 50% - 70% of people are wearing them, I wish they'd issue stickers with "I'm autistic" or "I'm asthmatic" or "I'm a cunt who can't be arsed to wear a mask" on them so I know who to glare at.

shiftwork2

2000% mark up for some profiteering capitalist during a genuine public health emergency  (Danger Man has gone quiet and I have my suspicions).  Is that really ok?  I would suggest it isn't.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 25, 2020, 10:49:53 PM
You're not wrong though at the same time someone's clearly making a big old profit from death and misery, and that fucks me off. It's also why I always take three masks out with me, just in case one of them breaks and then a bird swoops down and steals the other from my face. Which may sound like my taking the piss but it's genuinely true.

Walking past various shops in Walthamstow I'd say between 50% - 70% of people are wearing them, I wish they'd issue stickers with "I'm autistic" or "I'm asthmatic" or "I'm a cunt who can't be arsed to wear a mask" on them so I know who to glare at.

But if the autistic or asthmatic is a carrier - do you think they should be given a free pass or told to stay away and have a proxy/friend/family member do their shopping instead? It has to be absolute or it doesn't work.

Head Gardener

BlodwynPig

OH WOW, YOU LOOK SO COOL IN YOUR COFFIN WITH THAT FACE MASK, TOTES.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 26, 2020, 10:34:20 AM
But if the autistic or asthmatic is a carrier - do you think they should be given a free pass or told to stay away and have a proxy/friend/family member do their shopping instead? It has to be absolute or it doesn't work.

Surely it's effective and slows the spread to some degree if there's partial compliance. And people may not have others they can rely on, that was a big problem in the early days.

ersatz99

Just let these defiant ones spend half an hour doing their shopping then refuse to serve them at the till. They can then suffer the perp walk back outside  to rounds of cheers.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on July 26, 2020, 11:23:15 AM
Surely it's effective and slows the spread to some degree if there's partial compliance. And people may not have others they can rely on, that was a big problem in the early days.

You are right, there of course will be slowing and given the low risk in many areas, probably the infection rate may not even rise significantly. Perhaps, its a symptom of anxiety that I wish for absolutism on intervention/prevention, while others more resistant may see partial measures being a good compromise.

Icehaven

I got some from Mask Bros and they're bloody useless, the elastic just detaches as soon as you put them on, plus if I'm wearing my glasses they steam up something chronic. Going to go back to using a scarf I think.

MrMrs

idunnosomename

YER

DA

full size for those rotten fucking teeth he's biting his lip while standing in front of the pasta sauces and gnocchi in ALDI

yes, it's James Delingpole, the endless "who IS he" cunt who wont flush

shiftwork2

So apparently James Delingpole has the wonkiest teeth I've seen in years.  Wouldn't have known about his inherent genetic inferiority if he'd worn a mask.  Cheers James.

In other news, a jar of pesto costs 49 pence in Aldi??

idunnosomename

no it's confusing. sometimes the prices are above. here they are. 55p a good price too though

Barry Admin

Quote from: BBCThe executive's decision to hold off on ordering shoppers to don face coverings was quite a victory for the voluntary approach championed by some local business groups such as Retail NI and the Belfast Chamber of Commerce.

They argued mandatory mask wearing could damage trade and would be impossible to enforce.

For fucks sake.

sirhenry

I'm curious where all these comments about autistic people not wanting to wear masks are coming from - I've yet to talk to/hear of any autistic person who hasn't been wearing a mask assiduously since this whole thing started. We tend to be more, rather than less, risk averse. Admittedly it's a small sample, 20 people or so, but in that sample it's 100% mask-wearing.

My guess is that if there are any, they will almost certainly be of the 'self-assessed' variety. But the general public learning to conflate 'autistic' with 'selfish', despite the etymology, really isn't going to end well...

ASD can take a long time to diagnose, more so in adults, so it's probable several people will self-diagnose. Many might use the AQ screener, which is readily available online as a guide to indicate being autistic. Bringing it back to comedy, I believe the screener was designed by Sacha Baron-Cohen's cousin.

sirhenry

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on July 27, 2020, 07:22:17 AM
I believe the screener was designed by Sacha Baron-Cohen's cousin.
Indeed. Though presumably he has been cancelled thanks to his 'Autism = extreme male brain' theory, which was almost as amusing as Borat.

Head Gardener

Quote from: shiftwork2 on July 26, 2020, 11:24:58 PM
So apparently James Delingpole has the wonkiest teeth I've seen in years.

rack and peanut

Barista girl in muffin break smiled at my kawaii cat whiskers mask.

I think she was smiling, she was wearing a mask herself so she could have been grimacing.

Yeah probly the second one.

☹️

idunnosomename

Why the fuck cant i buy a goatse facemask

shiftwork2

Who'd know the difference?

heh heh heh

steveh

Research paper in the BMJ says wearing masks isn't encouraging people to behave more riskily:

Quote- Risk compensation—increasing risky behaviour after adopting a protective measure—has been used to argue against public health interventions, such as face coverings to reduce transmission of SARS-CoV-2

- Available evidence does not support concerns that wearing face coverings adversely affects hand hygiene

- Evidence from other areas also indicates that risk compensation is not discernible at a population level

- The concept of risk compensation, rather than risk compensation itself, seems the greater threat to public health through delaying potentially effective interventions

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m2913

Chedney Honks

QuoteThe concept of risk compensation, rather than risk compensation itself, seems the greater threat to public health through delaying potentially effective interventions.

Oof.

Take that, you fuckin normality cunts.

olliebean

Quote from: steveh on July 27, 2020, 03:44:07 PM
Research paper in the BMJ says wearing masks isn't encouraging people to behave more riskily

No, but the government is.

Are the Preemo disposable masks that they sell at ASDA acceptable? Most of the other masks I have worn have aggravated the anxious vocal tics I do so I can understand the distress/autism thing (and equally that people having those problems should be encouraged and helped to shield instead of accidentally killing people). The Preemo ones are very easy to wear and breath inside of; I even forgot that I had kept it on when walking around alone after going to the shop. I've started to enjoy looking down on all the non-mask wearers now that I feel comfortable in one but it does seem a bit of a nothingy mask.

Malcy

Was in the Co-op earlier. About 10+ people in there and I was the only one wearing a mask. A few looked at me as if to say "what the fuck you wearing that for".