Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:35:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Face Masks

Started by Cuellar, July 06, 2020, 05:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud

I think it's near pointless in terms of protecting yourself.  It's to protect others in case you have it, which is especially important in a culture where everyone just coughs and sneezes into the open air. It stops droplets from whizzing out when someone coughs, sneezes, breathes heavily, speaks in a way that throws out a lot of spit (we all know that one person where you end up wiping your face of their spit after talking to them) etc.

BlodwynPig

Near pointless is better than pointless, n'est pas? Alpha clown think.

DrGreggles

Saw a maskless bloke refused entry at the Tesco Express near me this morning.
It seems that his "only popping in to grab some milk" defence was rejected by the security guard, and his "but I've got one at home" line was met with a stern "go and get it then".

Good to see - particularly as he was one of these:

Bazooka

Has anyone pinched someone else's arse yet by mistake, thinking it was their other half, masked up?

I have, and they can't do anything about it.

DrGreggles

Nah, just some light shoplifting for me.
Security guard's too busy playing bouncer.

Cloud

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 02, 2020, 01:55:41 PM
Near pointless is better than pointless, n'est pas? Alpha clown think.

Well duh, of course it is.  But
1) You shouldn't assume it'll protect you, and should behave in exactly the same way as without a mask, because it's probably not protecting you much
2) People need to stop thinking in this "what's in it for me me me" mindset where the protection of other people doesn't even cross their minds.  Because that breeds the "not a lot, so I won't bother" thinking that some people have.  Instead, think "what can I do as a responsible member of society to protect others?" which leads to a very clear answer of "PUT A FUCKING MASK ON"

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cloud on August 02, 2020, 04:32:46 PM
Well duh, of course it is.  But
1) You shouldn't assume it'll protect you, and should behave in exactly the same way as without a mask, because it's probably not protecting you much
2) People need to stop thinking in this "what's in it for me me me" mindset where the protection of other people doesn't even cross their minds.  Because that breeds the "not a lot, so I won't bother" thinking that some people have.  Instead, think "what can I do as a responsible member of society to protect others?" which leads to a very clear answer of "PUT A FUCKING MASK ON"

1) I do, that's why I'm back in isolation
2) we are on the same page

Zetetic

Quote from: Marner and Me on July 31, 2020, 09:08:41 PM
More people die from the flu [despite massive public health interventions, including annually vaccinating huge numbers of people against multiple strains] than they have Covid [in the context of even more massive public health interventions while we wait for measures that will reduce its impact to something similar to flu's in the absence of those more massive interventions].

Quote from: Zetetic on August 02, 2020, 06:23:37 PM

Also, as noted, Covid is now killing far, far more people than influenza.

Head Gardener

Johnny shopping in LA

DrGreggles

I always tend to use the machine in the pub toilet.

Malcy

On a train for first time since March. Not overly busy but loads of teenagers not wearing masks and coughing.

Norton Canes

Significantly greater proportion of people wearing masks around town today, glad to say. Also a nice person at Sainsbos gave me a new disposable mask to wear because I forgot to bring one.

Thanks, Sainsbos. Thainsbos.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Malcy on August 05, 2020, 01:31:46 PM
On a train for first time since March. Not overly busy but loads of teenagers not wearing masks and coughing.

Citizens arrest. 100 pound fine. Tell them you'll give them a receipt through the post.

Attila

Did my weekly shop this morning (Waitrose, since that's the closest supermarket). 99% of the customers were masked up. Bit chaotic, with people more or less back to normal: people blocking the aisles talking, people doing zero social distancing (unlike last week, however, I didn't have some old dear continually bumping me with her trolley to get me out of her way. You know how you try to do your shop and keep running into the same person who is following more or less the same circuit).

About a 1/4 of the mask-wearers, though, had either their noses uncovered or the masks around their chins.

The security guys no longer give a fuck; the one this week was leaning up against the trolley corral chatting with a pal so that you couldn't get to the trolleys.

Mostly annoyed with myself as the weather is nice enough here to forego wearing a jacket, so I got all the way to the shop before I realised, huzzah, my cards were still in my jacket. Good times.

idunnosomename

forgot mine again, was going to make one out of a cloth and a USB cable but someone in the car next to me gave me a disposable one. small mercies. thank you kind soul

El Unicornio, mang

Just in Sainsbury's (who aren't enforcing it), everyone in masks except this one loudmouth bloke and his Katie Price-lookalike girlfriend, giving it the big man routine, complaining about the service, strutting about and stuffing his face with the donuts he had yet to pay for.

olliebean

Not impressed by the Amazon delivery guy this afternoon not doing contact-free delivery (despite their website still saying they are doing this), and not even wearing a mask while handing my package to me at a distance of less than 2m.

timebug

Got used to wearing my mask now, after the initial faff of glasses steaming up, but can't believe the number of twonks wearing a mask who have their noses uncovered. Sort of defeats the object of wearing a mask? And the mask as a chinstrap is a common sight here, like it's the latest fashion accessory.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: timebug on August 07, 2020, 09:20:27 AM
Got used to wearing my mask now, after the initial faff of glasses steaming up, but can't believe the number of twonks wearing a mask who have their noses uncovered. Sort of defeats the object of wearing a mask? And the mask as a chinstrap is a common sight here, like it's the latest fashion accessory.

Politely tell them. It is up to citizens now to police the pandemic.

frajer

Quote from: timebug on August 07, 2020, 09:20:27 AM
And the mask as a chinstrap is a common sight here, like it's the latest fashion accessory.

Spotted this out a lot out too. Conformity, the cowardly way. If anyone in a uniform asks them to I'm sure they'll pop it up over their face quick as you like. But until someone asks them to? "Rebel rebel, my face is a mess!"

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: olliebean on August 06, 2020, 05:03:56 PM
Not impressed by the Amazon delivery guy this afternoon not doing contact-free delivery (despite their website still saying they are doing this), and not even wearing a mask while handing my package to me at a distance of less than 2m.

All the delivery people seem to have stopped with masks and a lot are easing down on contact-free. Had DHL, Hermes, Amazon, and 2 different postpeople in past week, no masks, and half the time parcels handed to me. No idea if employers have stopped providing masks and changed policy, or if they're not bothered/in too much of a rush to put them on.

Malcy

At Glasgow Central train station. Constant announcements about wearing your masks in the station at all times. Police and staff shouting at people to put their masks on yet a good 50% of staff aren't wearing them and stood around in groups shoulder to shoulder with the masks on their necks. Absolutely fucking raging and really had to bite my tongue.

The amount of people who have got on the train and instantly took off their mask is ridiculous. And now the 3 Muppets sat at the opposite table are now talking about the importance of hygiene of their fucking smelly cunts while wearing their masks around their necks.

I really fucking give up on the human race. Really do. Far too many low IQ brainless twats to ensure we survive more than 100 years or so. Glad I have no kids to live through their social media addicted idiocy. Fuck each and every one of them.

The Culture Bunker

A few days on the bus to Manchester, I did see someone wearing a mask with their nose showing who was wearing an NHS ID badge, which was slightly worrying.

idunnosomename

i'd rather people just wear the mask over their nose because it's full of snot

steveh

While out and about have noticed how different types of public transport seem to get different rates of usage. Tube has been the highest (greater fear underground and lots of staff?), non-suburban trains have been good (guards policing and giving out free masks) and worst on London Overground (minimal staff). Haven't been on a bus for a while, but passed one last week where the driver was refusing to go because someone had taken off their mask though most seem to be letting on people without and letting inspectors police it.

Quote from: Malcy on August 07, 2020, 09:47:09 PM
At Glasgow Central train station. Constant announcements about wearing your masks in the station at all times. Police and staff shouting at people to put their masks on yet a good 50% of staff aren't wearing them and stood around in groups shoulder to shoulder with the masks on their necks. Absolutely fucking raging and really had to bite my tongue.

The amount of people who have got on the train and instantly took off their mask is ridiculous. And now the 3 Muppets sat at the opposite table are now talking about the importance of hygiene of their fucking smelly cunts while wearing their masks around their necks.

I really fucking give up on the human race. Really do. Far too many low IQ brainless twats to ensure we survive more than 100 years or so. Glad I have no kids to live through their social media addicted idiocy. Fuck each and every one of them.

Given that even the mask manufacturers themselves state that their products offer zero protection from viruses, I'm convinced that these kinds of posts are born out of a joy of moralizing coupled with deep rooted misanthropy rather than genuine concern for people's well being.

Chedney Honks

Sorry to hear about you

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Wanking Monk of Kefalonia on August 08, 2020, 08:30:47 PM
Given that even the mask manufacturers themselves state that their products offer zero protection from viruses, I'm convinced that these kinds of posts are born out of a joy of moralizing coupled with deep rooted misanthropy rather than genuine concern for people's well being.

you ok hun? xx