Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 03:54:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Face Masks

Started by Cuellar, July 06, 2020, 05:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bgmnts on August 12, 2020, 05:50:35 PM
Fuck is that really a danger?

Blods is having his funtimes, but in all seriousness yes - being a heavyweight, even if there are no other health issues, does seem to be near the top of the list of "things to worry about (even more)" when it comes to Covid.  I can't talk as I'm swinging around a couple of extra stone at the moment (although I have managed to maintain a pretty decent fitness level).

So expect CaB to have a real drop in members by the end of the year...

bgmnts

Shite. If I knew about the dangers of being grossly overweight I'd have lost the kilos sooner.

Not going within 10 yards of another person until I'm 12 stone.

Edit - lol Blodwyn outed as fatphobic.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 12, 2020, 06:08:44 PM
Blods is having his funtimes, but in all seriousness yes - being a heavyweight, even if there are no other health issues, does seem to be near the top of the list of "things to worry about (even more)" when it comes to Covid.  I can't talk as I'm swinging around a couple of extra stone at the moment (although I have managed to maintain a pretty decent fitness level).

So expect CaB to have a real drop in members by the end of the year...

fun times? I was condensing a serious point into a pithy witticism based on the Burger King mask desolation. I'm sure bgmnts knew about this overweight stuff?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on August 12, 2020, 06:11:01 PM
Shite. If I knew about the dangers of being grossly overweight I'd have lost the kilos sooner.

Not going within 10 yards of another person until I'm 12 stone.

oh, you didn't know. Sorry about that. I'm overweight and diabetic, so I'll be gone first. If I go, then you can worry (celebrate first).

bgmnts

I'm joking, course I know.

Unsure what the hierarchy of worry is though. I assume it goes old > existing conditions > fat > healthy people?

Shit Good Nose

I was going to say I thought you'd already mentioned it a few times in the past, but I didn't want to make any assumptions.

Quote from: bgmnts on August 12, 2020, 06:14:15 PM
Unsure what the hierarchy of worry is though. I assume it goes old > existing conditions > fat > healthy people?

Generally yes but, as always, there are exceptions - I know a 30 stone diabetic asthmatic (who also regularly gets gout) who doesn't exercise at all, and he caught it (confirmed as he had a test) but only suffered from very mild sniffles for a few days (he described it as being more like hayfever than even a cold).  I also am aware of a superfit guy in his 20s with no health problems who got it (again confirmed from a test) and was in hospital on a ventilator for 3 weeks and very nearly died (his heart stopped at one point, but they got it going again and he has since recovered, albeit with some ongoing difficulties).

So, y'know - you could fill up on extra large doners every night and be okay.

The Mollusk

Due to my ludicrous metabolism I am very slim but the downside is that my lungs are as small and flimsy as two little drug bags that have both in the past contained dodgy speed and been ravenously scraped out by a house key in the smoking area of a shitty nightclub so I imagine I probably wouldn't be faring too well if I got the viddy either.

I draw a simple smiley mouth with a tongue sticking out on the cotton mask my girlfriend made me (with pouch for tissue inserting) and I get lots of friendly or curious looks from adults and kids alike whenever I go out. If people don't know whether you're smiling or not (and I never fucking am) I think it's a simple display of kindness that might help people feel a bit more chill. Or they probably all think I'm a nonce.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 12, 2020, 07:26:36 PM
Due to my ludicrous metabolism I am very slim but the downside is that my lungs are as small and flimsy as two little drug bags that have both in the past contained dodgy speed and been ravenously scraped out by a house key in the smoking area of a shitty nightclub so I imagine I probably wouldn't be faring too well if I got the viddy either.

I draw a simple smiley mouth with a tongue sticking out on the cotton mask my girlfriend made me (with pouch for tissue inserting) and I get lots of friendly or curious looks from adults and kids alike whenever I go out. If people don't know whether you're smiling or not (and I never fucking am) I think it's a simple display of kindness that might help people feel a bit more chill. Or they probably all think I'm a nonce.

That was quite heartwarming.  Until it got to the nonce bit.  Fucking typical, etc.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 12, 2020, 07:30:55 PM
That was quite heartwarming.  Until it got to the nonce bit.

And then it became touching.

chveik

received six masks (washable 20 times!) in the post today. get the fuck in

Dr Rock

Went to the chemists and a corner shop this morning. Both times the person leaving wasn't wearing a mask. I asked the shop man how many people are not wearing masks and he said nobody's wearing a mask. And this is Muswell Hill where I thought people would be more good about it. The shopkeepers should be as strict as when they don't let kids buy fags.

BlodwynPig

Even if EVEN IF there was no second wave, a dwindling of cases and the proof that the virus was largely harmless, these people not wearing masks now should be shunned forever. They have shown themselves to be subhuman scum. What next, they'll step over your broken body after a severe beating in town, or nick all your food from the house when the paramedics are helping you with a seizure.

frajer

Agreed. If you're in a public space, and not restricted from doing so by other conditions, then you should wear a mask. It's fucking absurd people are choosing not to.

And anyone who claims it's a "breach of their human rights" to have to wear a mask in a pandemic needs an anvil dropping on their head.

Chedney Honks

Tazed, zip tied, locked into to fuck, etc.

🔒🔒🔒

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 13, 2020, 03:17:55 PM
What next, they'll step over your broken body after a severe beating in town, or nick all your food from the house when the paramedics are helping you with a seizure.

Probably the former, not the latter.

Some people just want to be left alone without imposition of any kind in order to be vacant consuming droids 'spending my money' in a 'free country'

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 13, 2020, 05:43:28 PM
Probably the former, not the latter.

Some people just want to be left alone without imposition of any kind in order to be vacant consuming droids 'spending my money' in a 'free country'

The white's of their eyes, the wild frothing...because their Gregg's isn't piping hot. This is England.

Shit Good Nose

olliebean

Quote from: chveik on August 13, 2020, 01:55:06 PM
received six masks (washable 20 times!) in the post today. get the fuck in

What happens if you wash one 21 times?

DrGreggles

steveh

Zetetic

Non-hate-crime versions here:
https://twitter.com/trishgreenhalgh/status/1298571971291160576

(Well, except that they don't seem to have rendered properly.)

Head Gardener

Dex Sawash

Chuck Tingle has let himself go mainstream

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I've accrued twelve reusable facemasks and have ordered three more online. Went down the town earlier with facemask and hood up looking like someone about to rob your house. Surprised people aren't going on about masks making it difficult to identify criminals, instead of whining about muh personal freedumbs.

and now I've cursed it into existence, haven't I.

flotemysost

I've got some snazzy leopard print ones from Etsy, they're triple layered and fit snugly but with good coverage (unlike some of the comically huge shop-bought ones I've tried). I wear a fair bit of animal print anyway so I've ended up with a few satisfyingly tasteless Carole Baskin-esque clashing ensembles.

I did get tutted at by an older bloke the other day for not wearing a mask - well, he came over and said "You should put a mask on, dear". I was standing in the main station concourse at London Bridge (close to the big open air entrance/exit bit, not inside a shop or anything) - I was just having a quick swig of water before donning my mask to head towards the trains - I was on my own, and was taking care not to stand close to anyone or be in anyone's way, so I was a bit confused when I saw this guy looking at me and heading specifically in my direction.

I completely understand anyone's discomfort, frustration or anger at non-mask-wearers, and I've called people out for not wearing one/wearing it round their chin in shops or on transport a few times myself (or more often, passive-aggressively glared at them - which does sometimes also work), but glancing around me, there were loads of other people not wearing masks, and it's probably safe to say some of them weren't planning on wearing one once they actually boarded a train, either. So I'm not sure why this guy singled me out, as I wasn't standing close to anyone, or in a completely enclosed space - I'd like to assume he'd say the same to anyone of any age/race/gender, but it did seem a bit a bit odd. I'm probably overthinking it.

Or it could be that he didn't actually give a shit about the virus, he just found me particularly hideous, which would be fair enough.

Blinder Data

Quote from: flotemysost on August 31, 2020, 10:22:27 AM
Or it could be that he didn't actually give a shit about the virus, he just found me particularly hideous, which would be fair enough.

Old men love admonishing younger women and telling them what to do.[nb]I don't know your age but if you're within the 20-50 bracket I think that's enough for many males of advanced years.[/nb] It might be as simple as that. If you were a bloke he probably wouldn't say anything for fear of being lamped.

I was in the railway station for the first time since lockdown today. Pretty much everyone was wearing masks, which surprised me. But I guess going to town is such a rare occurrence nowadays you'd be mad to forget to bring one.

Anecdotally I hear that people DOWN SOUTH (London etc.) are not taking masks and/or social distancing as seriously as where I am (Glasgow/West of Scotland). I'd be surprised if that was true, but maybe  Cabbers could confirm with some hard and fast data (i.e. what you see about you).

flotemysost

I'm 31, so possibly... I was just a bit taken aback by the somewhat accusatory tone, but at the same time I'm glad that people do feel that they can call others out (even if it was somewhat misguided in that case).

Quote from: Blinder Data on August 31, 2020, 11:50:09 AM
Anecdotally I hear that people DOWN SOUTH (London etc.) are not taking masks and/or social distancing as seriously as where I am (Glasgow/West of Scotland). I'd be surprised if that was true, but maybe  Cabbers could confirm with some hard and fast data (i.e. what you see about you).

It's been a mixed bag with public adherence to safety measures round where I am (very busy/densely populated part of south London). I haven't found distancing too difficult, mainly because I just skit the fuck away from anyone if they get too close, but on public transport there are plenty of people who wear a mask but then yank it fully down the second they step on board, which is maddening, and in supermarkets lots of people don't seem to bother wearing one at all.

One thing I've found really irritating recently is that when I've got the Tube (only a handful of times, admittedly), at the escalators, I always wait for it to move forward a bit before stepping on so that there's a sufficient gap between me and the person in front of me, but then someone will get on after me and stand right behind me (and invariably these people won't be wearing a mask either).

Captain Crunch

It's confirmation bias, I've heard women say "oh it's only ever men going without masks" or older people making sweeping statements about 'the young' and sadly a few comments on race.  I don't get out as much as some of you but when I do it's always about 50% in masks and 50% not wearing one at all or on the ear / chin / in the hand etc. 

Only once have I seen a train employee go down the train checking people and asking them to pull their mask up. 

Anyone else getting mad spots?  I'm hoping it's the masks not the massive amounts of haribo I've been on lately.