Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:37:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Face Masks

Started by Cuellar, July 06, 2020, 05:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyCouncil

New page SE London report edit.

Went to the co-op earlier and mask wearing seemed to have dropped to about 30%. People are dicks. Not looking forward to my forthcoming three days a week commute into (and across) London.

Fambo Number Mive

Had to get the bus for an essential reason last week. Most people wearing masks but several windows were open to help with ventilation and one person got on and walked through the bus slamming them shut. What an utter prick. I suppose there will be more of this as the weather gets worse.

Pranet

Quote from: Captain Crunch on August 31, 2020, 02:23:55 PM

Anyone else getting mad spots?  I'm hoping it's the masks not the massive amounts of haribo I've been on lately.

At times I have. I mentioned a while ago that my nose is prone to getting spotty and at times it has really flared up. Odd one round the chin also. There was a spell when I was using public transport a lot and it was worse then, don't think it is so bad now but still a bit more spotty than normal.

flotemysost

Quote from: Captain Crunch on August 31, 2020, 02:23:55 PM
It's confirmation bias, I've heard women say "oh it's only ever men going without masks" or older people making sweeping statements about 'the young' and sadly a few comments on race.

Yes, I suspect in the case of the bloke calling me out it was something like the above. I'm also vaguely foreign looking, which can generally be a factor in people thinking they can speak to you as if you're an idiot.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 31, 2020, 04:13:15 PM
Had to get the bus for an essential reason last week. Most people wearing masks but several windows were open to help with ventilation and one person got on and walked through the bus slamming them shut. What an utter prick. I suppose there will be more of this as the weather gets worse.

Fucks sake. This is something that's been worrying me as well - people being less willing to have sufficient ventilation as the weather gets colder. On the days I've been going into my office, one of the first things I do is crank open all the windows near where I sit, but this doesn't seem to be something the Facilites team (who planned the re-opening) have taken into consideration (the rest of it feels pretty well thought-out, to be fair - distancing, one-way systems, handwashing stations, separate desks, etc.).

I mentioned this to one of the Facilities team the other week but they seemed to think I was concerned about the temperature, and started harping on about how great the aircon/heating system in the building was - mate, I don't give a fuck about the temperature right now, I'll gladly bring in an extra jumper or whatever to wear at my desk if needed,  as long as it means we're not all huffing the same communal soup of each other's droplets all day.

I have however always been the sort of maniac who leaves the windows open when I'm at home even if there's a small cyclone outside, as I can't stand not having the feeling of fresh air circulating around (which possibly stems from a phase of obsessing over gas leaks - during a particularly bad phase of anxiety I called the gas inspectors round twice in one week, which my flatmates from the time still rinse me for. NOT SO STUPID NOW EH)

steveh

Given what's now known about the importance of ventilation in stopping the virus spread, I've wondered why they haven't yet configured trains to open all the doors at every station.

olliebean

https://www.inverse.com/mind-body/masks-breathing-in-less-coronavirus-means-you-get-less-sick

tl;dr: Masks do, after all, protect the wearer as well as everyone else. If you're in a situation where you would have got infected anyway, wearing a mask probably won't prevent that, but it will reduce your viral load, which means you're far less likely to suffer serious illness as a result of infection (and also, incidentally, less likely to infect someone else).

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: flotemysost on August 31, 2020, 09:57:49 PM
I mentioned this to one of the Facilities team the other week but they seemed to think I was concerned about the temperature, and started harping on about how great the aircon/heating system in the building was - mate, I don't give a fuck about the temperature right now, I'll gladly bring in an extra jumper or whatever to wear at my desk if needed,  as long as it means we're not all huffing the same communal soup of each other's droplets all day.

I'm worried about this because our main source of heating/cooling in our office are aircon units and some extractor fans which had been covered. There's also some nutters who run them up to about 26c in winter.

For home ventilation, in Gemany, with their well insulated homes, they throw all their windows open for a couple of minutes. Replaces 80% of the air or something.

idunnosomename

Should start questioning marrying your sister

frajer

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 03, 2020, 04:44:39 PM
Should start questioning marrying your sister

They're fine with that. Double-thumbs up from Tory MPs, both thumbs on same hand due to years of keeping the bloodline pure.

Sebastian Cobb

I bet we could all coin it in if we started selling poppy face masks. It's disaster capitalism, but we're only bilking money out of jingoistic boomers so that makes it okay.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 03, 2020, 04:44:39 PM

A shirt with a placket while sporting a bow tie?

What a fucking pleb.

Dusty Substance

In the shops down my way only about 30% of customers are wearing masks whereas around 70% are still pretty cool.

JaDanketies

I really can't wait until I'm drugged out of my head in some hot sweaty room with a bunch of strangers while some loud music plays :(

oh wow I've got that wedding coming up soon in Cyprus! Unfortunately I'll be taking care of our child on the day and there will almost certainly not be any drugs but hopefully there will be some kind of cathartic night for me at some point during the week

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on September 04, 2020, 11:51:35 PM
A shirt with a placket while sporting a bow tie?

What a fucking pleb.

it looks like a polaroid found in a decaying mansion depicting 'happier, doggier, times' of an obscure mid-tier high society couple.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on September 06, 2020, 07:36:37 AM
Once you pop, you can make a tube of pringles last 4 hours...
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/tenerife-flight-pringles-hack-face-mask-a4539791.html

QuoteThe 41-year-old entertainer

KILL HIM, HUNT HIM DOWN AND KILL HIM. WHAT A FUCKING LOW-GRADE CUNT. KILL HIM.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 06, 2020, 09:19:06 AM
KILL HIM, HUNT HIM DOWN AND KILL HIM. WHAT A FUCKING LOW-GRADE CUNT. KILL HIM.

the couple run a YouTube channel called Ricardos Family vlogs

Fambo Number Mive

Putting peoples lives at risk - a "laugh"

Head Gardener

Sherringford Hovis

A bloke I was talking to yesterday described his obnoxious neighbour thusly:

"That fuckin' chin-hammock next door woke me up yelling at his kids again."

SpiderChrist

Got an electrician in the house to do some shit or other with the fusebox (rented house, legal obligation and all that).

"Are you gonna wear a mask?"
"Yeah, I will if you want me to."

Sparky cunt.

Wilbur

Quote from: SpiderChrist on September 07, 2020, 09:27:50 AM
Got an electrician in the house to do some shit or other with the fusebox (rented house, legal obligation and all that).

"Are you gonna wear a mask?"
"Yeah, I will if you want me to."

Sparky cunt.

To be fair to them the government guidelines specifically tell traders they should NOT wear face masks in peoples houses unless they would normally. The whole instruction booklet is a contradictory bloody nonsense  https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/homes

"When managing the risk of COVID-19, additional PPE beyond what you usually wear is not beneficial. This is because COVID-19 is a different type of risk to the risks you normally face in a workplace, and needs to be managed through social distancing, hygiene and fixed teams or partnering, not through the use of PPE"

SpiderChrist

What a load of fucking cobblers.

frajer

Quote from: Wilbur on September 07, 2020, 09:50:16 AM
To be fair to them the government guidelines specifically tell traders they should NOT wear face masks in peoples houses unless they would normally. The whole instruction booklet is a contradictory bloody nonsense  https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/homes

"When managing the risk of COVID-19, additional PPE beyond what you usually wear is not beneficial. This is because COVID-19 is a different type of risk to the risks you normally face in a workplace, and needs to be managed through social distancing, hygiene and fixed teams or partnering, not through the use of PPE"

Surprise, surprise.

Hmm, "We wasted a shit-ton of taxpayer's cash on PPE that didn't meet standards" doesn't sound great... How about, PPE is pointless! Yeah that'll stick. Anyone for more roast owl?

SpiderChrist

Special Christmas face masks soon. After all the special Halloween ones.

timebug

At the checkout in local Aldi yesterday;everyone else keeping two metre spacing as per the stickers on the shop floor. Bloke immediately behind me, paper mask over mouth (but not nose as well!) standing so close, you would have thought we were almost cojoined twins. Problem being, to have a word or let it go? Last time someone had a word in this situation (same branch of Aldi) the person in the wrong, turned out to be a really aggressive sort with  (possibly) a mental disorder of some kind.
Being elderly and wearing my mask properly, I let it go. And then, as he packed his stuff with a woman,(presumably his partner)
he gave a random outburst of effing and jeffing, because someone had 'pushed past him'!! So best left, eh?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: timebug on September 08, 2020, 09:27:22 AM
At the checkout in local Aldi yesterday;everyone else keeping two metre spacing as per the stickers on the shop floor. Bloke immediately behind me, paper mask over mouth (but not nose as well!) standing so close, you would have thought we were almost cojoined twins. Problem being, to have a word or let it go? Last time someone had a word in this situation (same branch of Aldi) the person in the wrong, turned out to be a really aggressive sort with  (possibly) a mental disorder of some kind.
Being elderly and wearing my mask properly, I let it go. And then, as he packed his stuff with a woman,(presumably his partner)
he gave a random outburst of effing and jeffing, because someone had 'pushed past him'!! So best left, eh?

Well I would say "best left" is not good for your health, but I suppose you have to weigh up being battered versus the smaller risk that he was infected. Security guard?

I had the same problem on a rare venture to the supermarket yesterday. Some big cunt yammering into his phone without a mask near the mangos. I said to him "where's your mask" and he didn't hear me. I tried to avoid him but he kept coming to where I was standing. I raised my arms in frustration and a lady gave the eyebrows to say "what a twit, but you're not going to get through to him". I started gesticulating and the guy thought I was letting him past and said "after you, mate".

I can't even incite a beating with these cretins!

steveh

There's one street near me where almost every other shop is a cheap barbers or a women's hairdressers. While walking past on Sunday, I noticed the hairdressers still seem to be keeping up wearing masks but not now visors although they are supposed to do both. The barbers had with one exception given up entirely on both masks and visors. This is supposed to be one of the highest-risk activities for spreading...

Uncle TechTip

You must have a friendly, open face.