Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:26:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Face Masks

Started by Cuellar, July 06, 2020, 05:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

I walk past a convenience store on my way to do grocery shopping or just go for a walk and every time I see maskless people enter or exit. I don't think I've ever seen a person in a mask enter or exit that store. No signs about masks on their window. I'm surprised the staff haven't caught it, especially as whenever I've seen a staff member pop out they haven't worn a mask either. A lot of people have only been in for a paper or a few bits and pieces as well.

frajer

Went into town this weekend for the first time in a few months and was pretty deflated to see how everyone has stopped giving a shit.

About 10% of people are wearing masks and getting stared at by the rest for doing so. I stare right back and mouth silent obscenities, which I've doing for years now anyway.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I've gathered 28 reusable masks.

I reckon I've spent €148 on them in total.

...I want more.

dissolute ocelot

Local supermarket in the evening a couple of nights ago. Maybe 80-90% wearing masks, but everybody not wearing a mask was a middle-aged man. i saw one guy shuffle in nervously, bare faced, glance around a bit, before going to breathe on the tomatoes (some of the posher stores do give out masks but if you're in a poorer neighbourhood, no luck). Staff aren't saying anything, although having an argument while a queue or a crowd builds up probably isn't very good health and safety either.

H-O-W-L

I work large retail (can't say where) and both legally and according to company policy we cannot actually say fuck all about masks to customers. If your local store chucks people out for it then they're doing it off their own backs (IE they have balls)

frajer

That fits. The day after the mask ruling was announced (maybe even same day?) Sainsbos and Costa announced they wouldn't be enforcing it with their customers.

I get that they can't enforce it, but announcing it like that basically says "don't worry about a mask mate" to anyone who was even on the fence about minimising risk to themselves and others. Cunts.

Malcy

Was in Legoland a couple of weeks ago. Probably only 10% of people were wearing masks and lots standing a ball hair away from each other queuing up for minimum 1 hour to go on rides. Kept my distance from everyone but i was shocked at how busy it was.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Malcy on September 11, 2020, 06:22:36 PM
Was in Legoland a couple of weeks ago. Probably only 10% of people were wearing masks and lots standing a ball hair away from each other queuing up for minimum 1 hour to go on rides. Kept my distance from everyone but i was shocked at how busy it was.

where is the outrage?

I'm sure they'd go berserk and boot someone out for jumping the queue, but potentially passing on a lethal virus...?

rue the polywhirl

Could say it was... choc-a-block and that everything was awesome.

Dyl Spinks

Was Sean Connery there?

bgmnts

Masks to be made mandatory in shops now whoop whoop.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: bgmnts on September 11, 2020, 10:52:41 PM
Mandatory here since 10th August.

buttgammon

As a Welsh immigrant in Ireland, it's a bit confusing hearing masks are only required in shops there now. People have been stoically ignoring the rules here for months now.

bgmnts

I probably saw like 1 in 30 people wearing a mask the past month or so. It's been a shambles as we all expected. People just don't care.

Dr Rock

Muswell Hill is about 80% (I really don't get out enough to be that accurate though). My brother says Tunbridge Wells is about 99%.

paruses

Quote from: bgmnts on September 11, 2020, 10:52:41 PM

Was in Birmingham for the dentist yesterday when my mother sent me the information (scooping WalesOnline by a good two hours). This is my first trip out of Wales since March and first experience of having to wear a mask in a shop. Was surprised at how few people were wearing them - only me and one other chap in Toolstation, 70/30 at best in Aldi, Tesco, B&M.

Did get the feeling that people seem to view mandatory mask wearing and social distancing as mutually exclusive though. Its low mask usage here in Wales but people generally keep a distance at cash registers and do their bests in aisles. It was the opposite experience in Birmingham. Be interesting to see if that changes as of Monday.

On a slight tangent - it's been even easier to identify pobl ddieithr here - especially early on - as they were (and remain) the main mask wearers. However, they have behaved as I said above causing upset by crowding into shops and complaining bitterly and often aggressively at having to queue. I would have thought they would be used to it but maybe they just stopped doing it ages ago back home.

Zetetic

Quote from: paruses on September 12, 2020, 08:57:00 AM
On a slight tangent - it's been even easier to identify pobl ddieithr here - especially early on - as they were (and remain) the main mask wearers.
I'm sure this attitude will have no repercussions.

Quite different (anecdotes) from South West Wales, dunno how much that is down to the councils and health board, and how much that is down to the demographics.

The survey WG commissions (from Ipsos Mori, I think) seems to be completely useless at detecting changing attitudes to social distancing etc. Maybe they should've asked what people thought of others behaviour.

olliebean

Quote from: paruses on September 12, 2020, 08:57:00 AMDid get the feeling that people seem to view mandatory mask wearing and social distancing as mutually exclusive though. Its low mask usage here in Wales but people generally keep a distance at cash registers and do their bests in aisles. It was the opposite experience in Birmingham. Be interesting to see if that changes as of Monday.

I think this is the government's fault. It wasn't very clearly explained, but I believe the current rule is 2m distance, or "1m plus," the "plus" being essentially, as far as most people are aware, wearing face coverings. 1m is close enough that most people think it can pretty much be ignored. So effectively, this leaves people thinking that face coverings cancel out the distancing rules.

paruses

Quote from: Zetetic on September 12, 2020, 09:35:06 AM
I'm sure this attitude will have no repercussions.

Quite different (anecdotes) from South West Wales, dunno how much that is down to the councils and health board, and how much that is down to the demographics.

The survey WG commissions (from Ipsos Mori, I think) seems to be completely useless at detecting changing attitudes to social distancing etc. Maybe they should've asked what people thought of others behaviour.

I don't understand the attitude comment- but might not have expressed myself well. I meant that locals her in mid(-to north)-wales have largely not been wearing masks and so when things opened up there was a sudden uptick in mask wearers but there has also been a noticeable reduction in social distancing considerations and tolerance (anecdotally by local business owners and residents).

Personally I am pro-mask and have been disappointed it has taken this long for the WG to make it mandatory. I can't imagine it will be welcomed or embraced here in a hurry though (but would love to be proved wrong).

Puce Moment

Quote from: buttgammon on September 12, 2020, 12:23:54 AMAs a Welsh immigrant in Ireland, it's a bit confusing hearing masks are only required in shops there now. People have been stoically ignoring the rules here for months now.

So I'm hearing. In general the populace is way less obediant than the UK, which is usually wonderful. But my family are well fucked off with the flagrant non-adherence to basic safety rules.

Sebastian Cobb

Masks are generally well-observed here. Although I went to lidl earlier and there was a big queue for the first time I've seen in ages, so I said 'sod that' went to the morrisons across the road (needed to go for paneer anyway) and it was a fucking shambles far too busy and they've re-jigged the queues so rather than being snaked round the store and directed to a checkout, people were queueing up aisles blocking access to stuff.

JarrowMonkey

Whilst watching the Liverpool v Leeds match, the camera zoomed in on the Leeds chairman, mask pulled down, just covering his mouth, millionaire at the least, probs a billionaire

The Bumlord

A woman got on the train this morning, sat, took off her mask and proceeded to chew a Greggs bap and slurp coffee while burbling into her phone for 50 minutes. Then we reached London Bridge, she put her mask on and left. Excellent.

The Bumlord

And on the way home I've got this prick eating his dinner.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Utterdrivel on September 15, 2020, 05:45:18 PM
And on the way home I've got this prick eating his dinner.

Can you unpixellate it so I can run him through my facial recognition database and get him nabbed by SWAT at 3am.

JamesTC

The cunt cares enough about his health to go for the Diet Coke but not to wear a mask to protect from a deadly disease.

The Bumlord

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 15, 2020, 06:17:17 PM
Can you unpixellate it so I can run him through my facial recognition database and get him nabbed by SWAT at 3am.

That's just what he looked like.

bgmnts

QuoteIf I get the virus it's on me, it's not on anyone else

It's not about you getting the virus you utter utter utter utter utter cunt.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Gulftastic on September 15, 2020, 06:31:53 PM
Noel Gallagher is a twat.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/sep/15/noel-gallagher-says-he-refuses-to-wear-a-mask-despite-uk-laws

I know. I was shocked too.

Is he still putting out music? If so, there needs to be a boycott. He is putting lives at risk.