Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:18:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Face Masks

Started by Cuellar, July 06, 2020, 05:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on July 12, 2020, 06:53:49 PM
Suggested to a woman in Asda earlier she should be wearing a mask. She followed me for a bit before suggesting that they didn't work, how I shouldn't believe the government and something about nazis/gas chambers. I told her to get the fuck away from me.

The mandatory wearing of masks will only be effective if the shops actively enforce it.

Good on you. You're only mistake was not to tip a Baked Beans Pyramid on her

tao of wub

These are the disposable masks that I am waiting on. 

https://www.arco.co.uk/products/3M0232

FFP3 so have been tested and shown to have good filtration capability with a good seal around the face
Valved so easier to exhale.
Valve is shrouded, so you don't exhale droplets into the atmosphere.

I don't think the current crisis in UK is going away anytime soon.  I ordered weeks and weeks ago for some vague autumn delivery date.

If I am lucky enough to be able to air travel myself away from this country at some point I will be wearing one of these on the aircraft and in the airport.  Hopefully I won't be coming back to these shores!

Regarding calling people out in public, I just try and get the hell away from them these days.  If they are moronic enough to behave in a way that is blatantly terrible,  they are not EVER receptive to any kind of argument, no matter how you approach it.

Beans pyramid burial is too good for them, that is for supermarket royalty to ensure a smooth supply of beans in the afterlife.

Sheffield Wednesday

I was in the big Sainsbury's and someone gave me the stink eye for wearing my anime mask and it sounds bad but I julienned their fuckin head through the side of my trolley like that one room in the film Cube. Security were PO'd I could tell but they just wanted to keep things moving so picked up the head cuboids and put them in her handbag and then put the remains of the cadaver near the recycling bins!

flotemysost

This article might help answer a few of the questions in this thread. I had a couple of the dust mask-type ones with valves and hadn't realised that this essentially renders them useless against the 'vid (should have been obvious really). Guess I need to put them aside for if I ever have sex go running or cycling again.

Pucker sell masks made by out-of-work garment manufacturers and a percentage of proceeds goes to Crisis, Mind and Refuge - I haven't tried them but seems like a good option if anyone wants to avoid Asos etc.

olliebean

My attention has been directed to this clause, from the official Government guidance on workplace safety:

QuoteIt is important to know that the evidence of the benefit of using a face covering to protect others is weak and the effect is likely to be small

which to the best of my understanding is an outright lie.

tao of wub

If you do have a valved mask, there is nothing to stop you for example, covering the valve area with a scrap of fabric, to trap droplets and stop them from blasting out.  You could superglue or fabric glue a patch of fabric over the valve.

I do not believe the governments advice on masks being pointless or indeed on the required distance to stay away from people.  MIT did some modern modelling using computers to track droplet spread and concluded 10 meters is a safer distance.  The gov. advice is from research conducted many decades ago.

UK gov. and this particular administration, have a terrible track record on truth telling.  I would say the more Union Jack flags you can see in frame with a gov. spokesperson, the more likely it is that they are talking shit.

They only listen to rational science if it suits their agenda, if not it is ignored.  Just ask David Nutt.

Mask wearing is the way forward in my opinion to bring an end to Covid19

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteBeans pyramid burial is too good for them,

Laughed at this

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: olliebean on July 12, 2020, 10:18:52 PM
My attention has been directed to this clause, from the official Government guidance on workplace safety:

which to the best of my understanding is an outright lie.

Mixed signals in the news earlier.

Cloud

This government really needs to get its shit together.  Such as Boris growing a pair and controlling his underlings instead of having them running around giving opposing messages to the public or going on a jolly in the middle of a lockdown.

Well, we shouldn't have been in a Tory government still BuT mUh BrExIt

BlodwynPig

Look at this loon. Someone on the TyskieSour chat recommend his channel, but they were obviously trolling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96K4f3dVf4Q

bgmnts

£100 fine if not wearing a mask in a shop in England.

Could one theoretically take the mask off after leaving the shop and cough on a bench, risk free?

Butchers Blind

July 24th.  So you only have another 11 days to cough your way mask free round the high street.

olliebean

Face coverings, not masks, to be mandatory; i.e., presumably any old bit of cloth will be sufficient to avoid a fine, as long as it covers the mouth and nose.

ollyboro

Will burka wearers be fined if they don't wear a mask under their burkas? Eh, eh. I'll wager not. It's political correctness gone mad. And what about deep-sea divers?

Butchers Blind

Quote from: ollyboro on July 13, 2020, 10:58:10 PM
Will burka wearers be fined if they don't wear a mask under their burkas? Eh, eh. I'll wager not. It's political correctness gone mad. And what about deep-sea divers?

Yeah, and beekeepers.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

They are a sack of absolute jeb ends aren't they? Piss up in the optometrists has started bang on time, zero attendees mind.

Butchers Blind

So if they're telling you to wear masks in shops, why not restaurants and pubs? Yeah, I know why,  but its still people in a crowded indoor space.

Cloud

Requiring them where it's practical and not where it's impractical (because you're eating/drinking) seems fair enough.  At least it's not "doing nothing in a situation where you can be doing something"

I'm just glad they're EVENTUALLY getting around to it despite all the usual dither and delay.  Better late than never.  But yeah... annoyingly slow... hopefully people will take it as a cue to start wearing them now and start getting used to it.
I wish they'd also mandate them in offices.  I'm feeling that I wouldn't mind going back to the office generally but my boss very literally breathes down the back of my neck which I'm very uncomfortable with the thought of going back to.

Wonder if the thing with Gove and co is playing the "good cop" routine to keep the anti-mask people semi-happy that the government are "on their side really, but..."

tao of wub

Quote from: Cloud on July 13, 2020, 11:23:22 PM
Wonder if the thing with Gove and co is playing the "good cop" routine to keep the anti-mask people semi-happy"

It is because Gove is made of wood isn't it?  Can't get the Covid if you are made of wood.

idunnosomename

can i just wrap a dirty old scarf round my gob. i dont want to spend a penny on proper face masks because this shitty government are shit. still lol at this

Chedney Honks

Remember that you're doing it because you know it's helpful, rather than because these fucks said so.

You should already be wearing one in shops for that reason.

Barry Admin

I'm still wearing them in shops, I think we'll be told to before long. I just wish I had a cool black instead of a white surgical-looking piece of shit, but meh.

Mango Chimes

I understand the efficacy of a face covering preventing virusy spittle flying around. But when you add in the real world usage that I've seen, of people in face coverings not keeping their distance, and keeping their hands freshly coated in corona by fiddling with their damp virus rags, I wonder whether they do more harm than just reiterating "keep the fuck away from people".

Chedney Honks

That's why it's important to educate people and communicate clearly.

Of course they don't do more harm, that's some zero sum binary thinking. It's about mitigation, a sliding scale of risk.

Some people won't use them correctly but some people don't wear seatbelts. Most do and so there's a significant reduction in deaths and serious injury. Some people will resist on whatever selfish grounds but once they're affected, they will start to wear one.

One comment I've heard a lot over the last couple of months of talking about masks is that Asian people are just 'culturally' ingrained to wear them. What this means is that having lived through the effects of SARS, and horrendous pollution in China, people in East Asian countries gradually learned that they will be safer and healthier with the minor inconvenience of wearing a mask. There's nothing inherently 'Asian' about it. If you live somewhere sunny, you start wearing sunglasses.

While you could make the observation that it speaks to the Confucian sense of community and maintaining the social equilibrium, the reality is that on an individual level, Chinese people give less of a fuck about the wellbeing of strangers than any people I've ever lived among. It's not callousness, just the numbers game and a very competitive society. They don't wear masks in the spirit of compassionate communism, they've just learned pragmatically that they work. What they do have culturally is the sense of shame and not standing out as a total cunt.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cloud on July 13, 2020, 11:23:22 PM
Requiring them where it's practical and not where it's impractical (because you're eating/drinking) seems fair enough.  At least it's not "doing nothing in a situation where you can be doing something"

that is all levels of wrong...take a hard look at yourself.

olliebean

The problem isn't so much allowing people not to wear masks in places like pubs and restaurants where it's impractical to do so, as the government actively encouraging people to go to those places as much as possible.

Cuellar

Nice to see lots of UK idiots on twitter raging against 'muzzles' being mandatory. Nice to be reminded that we too are stuffed to the gills with cunts.

'Oh it's just a mask. 'Just get on this train to Auschwitz, what's the harm it's just a train''

Hope you get COVID

Now's the moment to wear a mask with FUCK THE TORIES written across it in big letters. Not going to tell you to take it off, are they?

In my part of Spain, masks are now obligatory inside and out, even if in a bar or terrace; you need to wear the mask apart from when actually eating or drinking. You don't need one on the beach (for some reason), when doing sport, or when playing a wind instrument. They've been hilariously specific about this in the rules. 100€ fine for non-compliance.

In the UK, they're talking about the difficulty of policing mask wearing in shops, but here, where it's been the rule for months, each shop just has someone on the door counting people in and out, and refusing entry to non mask wearers. And everyone peacefully complies.

jobotic

Been wearing one in shops for weeks now but NO MORE.

I WILL NOT BE TOLD WHAT TO DO.

I shall be wearing a fake moustache made of feathers and pepper and sneezing my way around the shops. I AM BIRTISH

Head Gardener

I saw a big muscular bloke stride into the Co-op yesterday with no mask, no intention of wearing a mask and giving off 'alright, come on then' vibes, no-one told him off
or fined him and were probably too scared to say anything anyway despite the looks he was getting from other shoppers, so it seems it's separate rules for beefcake then.