Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:15:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Face Masks

Started by Cuellar, July 06, 2020, 05:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menu

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 10, 2020, 10:43:21 PM
I think it's more in the "piss kidney" ballpark really.

I dunno. It's not axiomatic that his dick is 'big', is it?

buttgammon

In fairness, I think the guy was trying to be sarcastic in a way that didn't come off with his delivery of the insult. It goes to show the level of your average anti-masker that they can't even scream abuse properly.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: steveh on October 08, 2020, 11:38:40 AM
Some new research on mask effectiveness:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.10.05.20207241v1

In terms of 'blocking', there's still the problem of people touching/adjusting their mask then touching their eyes, and inevitably taking it off and putting it on again, sometimes forgetting to sanitise.

We've just gone through an intense leap in cases despite the presence of mask wearing (which I am happy to do and accept it is considerably better than nothing).

Some of these studies are frustrating.

kalowski

I'm still annoyed at this twat of a bloke moaning at me on Saturday.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: kalowski on October 11, 2020, 10:09:30 PM
I'm still annoyed at this twat of a bloke moaning at me on Saturday.

I bet someone in the last 6 months moaned at him to put a mask on, he felt ashamed but now he sees the tide turning in his direction, now his turn to reign.

mobias

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 11, 2020, 10:02:40 PM
In terms of 'blocking', there's still the problem of people touching/adjusting their mask then touching their eyes, and inevitably taking it off and putting it on again, sometimes forgetting to sanitise.

We've just gone through an intense leap in cases despite the presence of mask wearing (which I am happy to do and accept it is considerably better than nothing).

Some of these studies are frustrating.

Definitely agreed. Looks increasingly likely they're going to make wearing a mask mandatory everywhere and all the time when you're outside your home.* I'm dreading having to spend all day wearing one at work. I'm quite happy to wear one in the shops and on public transport, I understand the reasoning, but I just don't like wearing them generally.

I really wish they would just get on and have another full national lockdown. Its inevitably coming, they might as well just get on with it before even more shit hits the fan.

* it looks like this is going to be announced here in Scotland later this week. Usually where Scotland goes England follows with all this.

MrMrs

Where are you hearing that? We're in the midst of a fake lockdown in Scotland at the moment. Haven't heard anything about another national one.

Head Gardener

kalowski

Quote from: Head Gardener on October 17, 2020, 12:53:11 PM

second wave ready
The Tuskan Raiders have let themselves go.

timebug

Local Aldi seems to be the centre of the mask-idiots group in our town. Customary chin strap masks, masks over mouth but not nose, and yesterday, a huge burly Indian guy wandering around without a mask at all, glaring at everyone,and seemingly daring them to challenge him. Tosser.

Norton Canes

dissolute ocelot

After basically hiding indoors/outdoors for 6 months, I've been doing a photography darkroom course (at a local photography centre, because you can't use expensive equipment and chemicals at home), while wearing a mask and gloves for 3-4 hours at a time, and was surprised how little the mask bothered me or I even noticed it. I guess this is really boring news for people who've been working with PPE since March (or before). It was also weird being in proximity to different people outside my bubble, maybe I actually like human beings!!??? (Or maybe just in small doses.)

bgmnts

Is a neck warmer snood thing an acceptable substitute for a face mask?

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: bgmnts on October 23, 2020, 10:05:36 AM

In what circumstance? If you're doing surgery, no, if you're doing your shop or going somewhere on the bus and it covers your mouth and nose I don't see why not.

Menu

Yes I think so.

Sebastian Cobb

I saw some young lad just pulling his t-shirt over his nose. Resourceful.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 23, 2020, 11:00:24 AM
In what circumstance? If you're doing surgery, no, if you're doing your shop or going somewhere on the bus and it covers your mouth and nose I don't see why not.

What about scuba diving?

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 23, 2020, 02:06:08 PM
I saw some young lad just pulling his t-shirt over his nose. Resourceful.

I'd do that if I still had the waistline I had when I was 20.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on October 23, 2020, 02:46:51 PM
I'd do that if I still had the waistline I had when I was 20.

I'm still a lankie streak of piss but also look kind-of pregnant, it's ridiculous.

Consignia

I've read these are worse than not wearing a face covering at all. Struggling to find the study at the moment, but there is general consensus that they aren't good.

Gurke and Hare

MrMrs

the snood thing sounds like spurious nonsense

jobotic

Quote from: Consignia on October 23, 2020, 03:36:55 PM
I've read these are worse than not wearing a face covering at all. Struggling to find the study at the moment, but there is general consensus that they aren't good.

Why could that be? Perhaps not as good. The one I wear cycling is long enough to fold three times over so it's probably better than a mask. Plus I look like a bandit.

nugget

Quote from: Consignia on October 23, 2020, 03:36:55 PM

The study posted by steveh on the previous page puts them as slightly worse than normal cloth masks if there's one layer, and possibly slightly better if you double-layer it. That kind of makes sense, because there's less chance of stuff sneaking out from underneath and from around the sides. The problem with using a snood, that I find, is that they make it more difficult to turn your head and tend to slip down a lot. I have a cycling ,gaiter' that I wear a lot anyway, but if I'm going to be anywhere where I'll need to wear a covering for any length of time I'll still take a proper mask.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: jobotic on October 24, 2020, 11:25:52 AM
Why could that be? Perhaps not as good. The one I wear cycling is long enough to fold three times over so it's probably better than a mask. Plus I look like a bandit.

I tried with mine before I had a mask. I had to wash it because it stunk of my head, then it was really bad at steaming my gegs up.

To be honest I'm still not sure how useful they are, I got it free as the council dumped a load of promotional tat off at work. It's good for keeping your ears warm when it's a bit nippy, but so's a beanie under your (fnarr) helmet.

Dr Rock

What about pushing a foamy earplug up each nostril with gaffer tape over your mouth? Is that allowed?

BlodwynPig

NattyDread 2

Don't see many folk in our wee shop without a mask but just had the misfortune to be standing in the path of some wide-o cunt strolling around whistling as loudly as he possibly could while standing right next to folk, all the while looking very pleased with himself. CUNT! Had to get that out.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on October 24, 2020, 06:30:39 PM
Don't see many folk in our wee shop without a mask but just had the misfortune to be standing in the path of some wide-o cunt strolling around whistling as loudly as he possibly could while standing right next to folk, all the while looking very pleased with himself. CUNT! Had to get that out.

Mine's the opposite, there's barely anyone wearing one.

Although there are two corner shops practically opposite here, one is basically a grubby offie, stacked mostly with booze (and a glass case with bongs in it) and the other is bright and airy, has a terrible booze selection but decent basics with a long shelf-life. I think it's a symbiotic thing where they're not stepping on each-other's toes.

NattyDread 2

What was also a bit galling was my forgetting my rather dashing mask and only being able to find one of the kids' ones in the car. I was walking about with sticky out Pob ears, all for the greater good, while this cunt just smugs his way through it.