Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,320
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:21:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Face Masks

Started by Cuellar, July 06, 2020, 05:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Lee hurst trending on twitter for getting owned and are old friend biggy arguing about covid conspiracies in his comments lol

Menu

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 25, 2020, 12:31:09 PM
Lee hurst trending on twitter for getting owned and are old friend biggy arguing about covid conspiracies in his comments lol
#
What's Biggy's twitter name?

BlodwynPig

Menu

Jollity

I saw someone on the bus wearing a (full face) Halloween skull mask from the Co-op. I know it was from the Co-op because the label was still on it.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I was just on the bus. A pair of youths disembarked, minus masks. An old man called after them, "Buy some masks."

"He's a racist." muttered one of the youths.

The youths were both black and the old man was white. If I could parse this exchange, I feel like I could solve all of society.

Sebastian Cobb

How frequently are you all washing your masks and how? The stats suggest most people are not doing this well.

I've been lobbing it in with my washing which is too infrequent and not hot enough. Obviously nobody's going to spin a washing machine at 60 for a fucking mask. I've heard leaving it sit in a bowl of near boiling water is good, but I think chucking it in my electric pressure cooker might be good, uses similar amounts of electric to boiling a kettle and will keep it hot and pressurised longer so a better clean.

Uncle TechTip

The UV boxes are turning up in Home Bargains, maybe one of those is best unless your mask is smelly.

olliebean

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 29, 2020, 03:12:27 PM
How frequently are you all washing your masks and how? The stats suggest most people are not doing this well.

I've been lobbing it in with my washing which is too infrequent and not hot enough. Obviously nobody's going to spin a washing machine at 60 for a fucking mask. I've heard leaving it sit in a bowl of near boiling water is good, but I think chucking it in my electric pressure cooker might be good, uses similar amounts of electric to boiling a kettle and will keep it hot and pressurised longer so a better clean.

I'm just washing it by hand with warm water and hand soap every time I come in. A quick Google suggests this is fine, according to numerous sources including the CDC.

Jollity

I wash them after each wear, like underwear. I got a net bag to put them in with my bras so they don't get lost in the wash. Of course, this means you have to have more than one so that you have one to wear while waiting for the others to dry (as with bras, I don't think you're supposed to put them in the tumble dryer, certainly not if they've got a nose wire) and I think many people just have the one that they keep until it breaks or falls out of their pocket (I have seen washable masks lying in the street a couple of times, and I assume that's what happened to those).

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Jollity on October 29, 2020, 04:26:50 PM
I wash them after each wear, like underwear. I got a net bag to put them in with my bras so they don't get lost in the wash. Of course, this means you have to have more than one so that you have one to wear while waiting for the others to dry (as with bras, I don't think you're supposed to put them in the tumble dryer, certainly not if they've got a nose wire) and I think many people just have the one that they keep until it breaks or falls out of their pocket (I have seen washable masks lying in the street a couple of times, and I assume that's what happened to those).

I don't think that's hot enough from an infection control point (neither is what I've been doing really), the advice generally suggests hot washes over 60c.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I have forty of them and wear each one once (like if I go into work I wear one but if I go to the shop after work I put on a fresh one) and when I get home I put the worn masks in a bag marked "Dirty Masks". Every couple of weeks I do a great big mask wash, then bag them up in little sealable bags as soon as they're out of the tumble dryer.

paruses

If you run the mask under  the tap so it's sodden then bung it in the microwave for 5 muns on full power that would sterilise it, surely.

dissolute ocelot

I used to be scrupulous about washing after every wear, but I'm really falling behind now.

If you do want to sterilize it without necessarily going through the washing machine, use the microwave (on a wet mask) or put in boiling water. Here's a paper that recommends:

Quote3 minutes at temperature above 75°C (160°F).
5 minutes for temperatures above 65°C (149°F).
20 minutes for temperatures above 60°C (140°F).

EDIT: You can also follow general instructions for disinfecting laundry: use a laundry sanitiser/disinfectant/bleach in a cool wash, or soak in disinfectant/nappy sanitiser or bleach (30 mins to 1 hour should be enough; check instructions, don't use bleach on coloureds, and don't leave in bleach too long).

nugget

I have several on rotation and just bung em one per week in the washing machine on a warm wash with underwear, etc. If 20 seconds washing with soap and warm water is enough to kill this virus on our hands then an hour or so in the washing machine will be more than enough.

imitationleather

Just like my undies, I never wash mine. It improves the flavour.

beanheadmcginty

I have never washed mine, but then again I did only start wearing one for the first time on Wednesday when a racist man on the bus told me to.

Quote from: nugget on October 29, 2020, 11:48:49 PM
I have several on rotation and just bung em one per week in the washing machine on a warm wash with underwear, etc. If 20 seconds washing with soap and warm water is enough to kill this virus on our hands then an hour or so in the washing machine will be more than enough.
This has been my policy so far and it hasn't let me down... so far.

I could switch to boiling them in a pan of soapy water, but running the washing machine for over an hour, just to clean my masks seems terribly wasteful.

JaDanketies

I chuck 'em in the washing machine with the reusable nappies.

Being forced to cover your face by an absolute cunt like Matt Hancock is pathetic and demeaning, the justification for which is based on extremely shaky scientific evidence. So why do you regard such a humiliating garment as a fashion accessory?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Wanking Monk of Kefalonia on November 02, 2020, 07:21:04 AM
Being forced to cover your face by an absolute cunt like Matt Hancock is pathetic and demeaning, the justification for which is based on extremely shaky scientific evidence. So why do you regard such a humiliating garment as a fashion accessory?

Ban this sick cunt.

DrGreggles

buttgammon

How fragile must someone's masculinity be if it's destroyed by a piece of fabric? Cock the size of a bookies' biro.

jobotic

Bet you do though, don't you?

Ninjas wear masks. Peados don't.

QED.

Dusty Substance

paruses

Quote from: Dusty Substance on November 02, 2020, 06:14:35 PM
Ever heard of a guy called Michael Jackson?

Who is Michael Jackson? Isn't there an operetta called Michael Jackson?

Chedney Honks

Feel like pure shit just wanna catch an predator and not wear mask

You know you're supposed to wear the mask on your face and all your normal clothes as well, right?

Jollity

The government is forcing you to wear clothes in public! There's no medical reason why you should, but they've got everyone blindly following the rules like sheep!