Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:39:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Face Masks

Started by Cuellar, July 06, 2020, 05:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

I work in a restaurant, an incredibly busy one.  All the staff wear masks all of the time, even the ones behind the scenes.  We have gel dispensers everywhere.  We have a huge one outside the front door, with an invitation on it to all those who may enter not to despair but to use it.  Every surface, every machine, every thing is cleaned with antibacterial shit every single moment of the god given day.  We keep our clients socially distanced. 

It's hard working extremely hard for long hours in very high temperatures wearing a mask that makes your face dreadfully hot and makes you feel like you're struggling for breath, gives you dreadful headaches, that's why we do it.  So other people don't have to.

idunnosomename

can i get away with one of those big rubber horse masks

George Oscar Bluth II

Fairly sure that would count but I dunno.

The reaction to this has been predictably insane. The right in this country have a fucking death wish. If this knocks even 0.1 off the R number it's positive you stupid fucks and the sooner we can get back to normal.

Head Gardener

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on July 14, 2020, 10:34:11 AM

The reaction to this has been predictably insane. The right in this country have a fucking death wish. If this knocks even 0.1 off the R number it's positive you stupid fucks and the sooner we can get back to normal.

Yes the announcement seems to have produced a strange reaction and odd alliances between different groups, including some that appear to have diametrically opposed conspiracies about Covid.

Like you I am puzzled why the UK gov didn't get us into good habits in respect of this net positive habit of mask wearing early on. I know there's the feeling that people might start feeling overly safe and get too close but that's over-thinking it when you have had a 2 metre+ rule in place for months.  No personal or wider political objections here. It helps keep reinfections down and it's not exactly a huge infringement.

Beagle 2

Nobody has been wearing them around here, they needed to enforce this months ago, I really don't get this "we'll trust common sense" angle. In the UK?

I've had people vaping in the queue in my face a few times. Fuck sake, I'd rather not actually see and taste the droplets entering my body.

The surveillance state doesn't work if everyone's in masks.

idunnosomename

Watching the right wing grifters wobble their collective lip over this is worth it

olliebean

Quote from: Head Gardener on July 14, 2020, 10:06:18 AM
I saw a big muscular bloke stride into the Co-op yesterday with no mask, no intention of wearing a mask and giving off 'alright, come on then' vibes, no-one told him off
or fined him and were probably too scared to say anything anyway despite the looks he was getting from other shoppers, so it seems it's separate rules for beefcake then.

Still another 10 days to go for no obvious reason before it becomes mandatory.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Buelligan on July 14, 2020, 10:26:50 AM
I work in a restaurant, an incredibly busy one.  All the staff wear masks all of the time, even the ones behind the scenes.  We have gel dispensers everywhere.  We have a huge one outside the front door, with an invitation on it to all those who may enter not to despair but to use it.  Every surface, every machine, every thing is cleaned with antibacterial shit every single moment of the god given day.  We keep our clients socially distanced. 

It's hard working extremely hard for long hours in very high temperatures wearing a mask that makes your face dreadfully hot and makes you feel like you're struggling for breath, gives you dreadful headaches, that's why we do it.  So other people don't have to.

Fair goddamn play, and this is what really gets on my wick with these fucks. Nurses and staff working with customers/clients in a range of services are wearing these for hours and hours at considerable discomfort, yet these hoax/freedom/normality fetishists are so thin-skinned they're afraid to look like a cuck/sheep/drone for twenty minutes to help keep OTHER PEOPLE ALIVE.

England is the second or third thickest country in the world.

SteveDave

When will the huffing and puffing joggers be made to wear masks? Or shot. Either or.

earl_sleek

Some of my staff wear type IIR masks for 14.5 hours straight, they manage. If they can cope then so can these damp fucks. Isn't it the left / liberals who're meant to be snowflakes?

Pranet

Doesn't apply to people who are working in shops which I don't understand. Surely if they are asymptomatic it is worse them being there all day breathing on everyone who comes in rather than a shopper who is in and out in a short period of time? Something I am missing?

Cloud

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 14, 2020, 08:46:01 AM
that is all levels of wrong...take a hard look at yourself.

Looked... couldn't see any obvious way of eating or drinking with a mask on. I guess you could shove it up your arse, but I'll leave you to do that. 

The correct thing to do is leave restaurants shut and limit the pubs to beer gardens / outdoor bars only, not to expect people to wear masks in them

Butchers Blind

The only way to stop this now is to shoot on sight anyone not wearing a mask in public.  Sounds harsh, but we will beat this virus.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cloud on July 14, 2020, 01:30:11 PM
Looked... couldn't see any obvious way of eating or drinking with a mask on. I guess you could shove it up your arse, but I'll leave you to do that. 

The correct thing to do is leave restaurants shut and limit the pubs to beer gardens / outdoor bars only, not to expect people to wear masks in them

Eat at home, friend

hamfist

big shops like yer Tesco should dish masks out on the door, for free. Keep the mask and use it in smaller shops too.

Sherringford Hovis

Cybergoth dancing mandatory for all mask-wearers. Re-digitising all my VNV Nation and Suicide Commando faves as FLAC in anticipation.

Mango Chimes

Supermarkets don't even seem to be selling them. I expected a massive opportunistic range of them on sale by now. What are you supposed to do if you haven't got the internet? Even if shops were selling them, you won't be allowed in to buy one.

I suppose you can slice up your clothing, assuming you can afford to do so. You'll need to know how, but you can just search for instructions on the inter...

idunnosomename

it just say face covering, so you can just take off your socks, tie them together and put that round your head if you're in a pinch when you realise you need some more tinnies

(i agree supermarkets should have proper ones for free though)

Sin Agog

T-shirt sleeves would be your best bet.  I cut all of mine off and go the Sons of Anarchy route anyway.

My cousin did give us all a load of those visor things, though, not that I'm going anywhere.  Might wear one to the health food 'shop' my neighbour two doors down runs out of her garage.  Have a bit of a yen for some dried mango.

buttgammon

They became mandatory here yesterday (with accompanying legal powers, which will probably never be used). I got on the bus yesterday lunchtime and for part of the journey, my girlfriend and I were the only people out of fifteen or so passengers who were wearing face coverings. The majority of people were wearing them on a later bus journey, but it's crazy to see how little they're being used even though it's literally the law.

poodlefaker

Quote from: Mango Chimes on July 14, 2020, 02:41:23 PM
Supermarkets don't even seem to be selling them. I expected a massive opportunistic range of them on sale by now. What are you supposed to do if you haven't got the internet?

Pound shops mate, full of 'em

Blinder Data

My local Morrisons in the south side of Glasgow was full of mask wearers yesterday, including the staff. I drove past buses over the weekend and most passengers seemed to be wearing them. I was pleasantly surprised.

It's only been "mandatory" here since Friday - I think it'll take a day or two after the official date before it becomes common practice.

It is frankly unbelievable that it's taken this long to encourage people to wear masks. WTF are the government (and their scientists!) on?!!?!

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Mango Chimes on July 14, 2020, 02:41:23 PM
Supermarkets don't even seem to be selling them. I expected a massive opportunistic range of them on sale by now. What are you supposed to do if you haven't got the internet? Even if shops were selling them, you won't be allowed in to buy one.

My nearest train station has a vending machine selling facemasks and hand sanitiser in the ticket hall!

Buelligan

Quote from: Cloud on July 14, 2020, 01:30:11 PM

Where I work, people arrive in masks (except the English), they're seated (socially disanced), then they take the masks off.  They have their food, then leave in their masks.  They're invited to sanitize their hands when they arrive and leave.  The staff, as I said, all wear masks the whole time.  We destroy every menu after one use and each person has their own (of course).  Every single item that they touch is thoroughly cleaned/disinfected or destroyed.   

Other places, like the supermarket or the diy shop have sanitizer at the door and people wear masks.  This is normal if you're trying to look after your community.

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on July 14, 2020, 10:34:11 AM

The point is that masks are ineffective, and the advice of experts back in March was that it's a bad idea to wear them unless advised to do so on special medical grounds. Is what was true then untrue now?

It's insane that people are so unquestioningly endorsing a draconian and dehumanizing policy introduced by Boris bastard Johnson even though solid evidence for its effectiveness just isn't there. https://web.archive.org/web/20200509053953/https:/www.oralhealthgroup.com/features/face-masks-dont-work-revealing-review/

Utter Shit

Quote from: Wanking Monk of Kefalonia on July 14, 2020, 04:48:03 PM
solid evidence for its effectiveness just isn't there. https://web.archive.org/web/20200509053953/https:/www.oralhealthgroup.com/features/face-masks-dont-work-revealing-review/

Is there any particular reason why you've chosen the archived version of that webpage, rather than the current version that specifically states "If you are looking for "Why Face Masks Don't Work: A Revealing Review" by John Hardie, BDS, MSc, PhD, FRCDC, it has been removed. The content was published in 2016 and is no longer relevant in our current climate."?

This paper suggests that masks could be very useful indeed. Point 6 (Discussion and recommendations) is a good place to start.

Chedney Honks

I love how 'draconian' is used by these cunts to describe the government which implemented one of the lightest, latest, shittest, most ambiguous 'lockdowns' in the world, with one of the very worst death rates in the world, who can't even agree publicly on whether masks should actually be worn in shops way past the point they were implemented by even FUCKDOWN, U.S.A. and which doesn't even support public transport or retail staff to implement this guideline.

Real authoritarians.

🤣🤣🤣

Cuellar

Quote from: Utter Shit on July 14, 2020, 04:54:26 PM
Is there any particular reason why you've chosen the archived version of that webpage, rather than the current version that specifically states "If you are looking for "Why Face Masks Don't Work: A Revealing Review" by John Hardie, BDS, MSc, PhD, FRCDC, it has been removed. The content was published in 2016 and is no longer relevant in our current climate."?

Big Mask obviously got to them and forced them to recant.