Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:34:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Right-wing comedians around the world?

Started by tribalfusion, July 06, 2020, 08:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: tribalfusion on July 09, 2020, 06:38:35 PM
Matt Stone said: "I hate conservatives, but I really fucking hate liberals."

Got to say I've really come around to this position over the last few years.

Pink Gregory

They've certainly shat on everyone else's doorstep these past 10 years

tribalfusion

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on July 09, 2020, 06:48:10 PM
Got to say I've really come around to this position over the last few years.

They are not just referring to liberals, they mean anything on the left broadly understood.  They hate unions promoting a living wage and the idea of national healthcare more than they hate big pharma execs or insider trading Wall Street frauds making billions of dollars and who raid pension funds and promote charter schools etc.

Quote from: tribalfusion on July 09, 2020, 06:58:41 PM
They are not just referring to liberals, they mean anything on the left broadly understood.  They hate unions promoting a living wage and the idea of national healthcare more than they hate big pharma execs or insider trading Wall Street frauds making billions of dollars and who raid pension funds and promote charter schools etc.

Sadly, there wasn't much of a popular leftist movement in America at that time. I went through a libertarian phase because of my opposition to the Iraq war. Liberals and conservatives were all on board with it, so it was easy to dismiss liberals as posturing hypocrites.

tribalfusion

Quote from: Weeping Prophet on July 09, 2020, 07:36:51 PM
Sadly, there wasn't much of a popular leftist movement in America at that time. I went through a libertarian phase because of my opposition to the Iraq war. Liberals and conservatives were all on board with it, so it was easy to dismiss liberals as posturing hypocrites.

I understand what you're getting at but Parker and Stone were very much FOR the wars unlike left-leaning liberals whom they especially took pleasure in savaging. Parker and Stone were the more dangerous hypocrites trying to make the same old imperialism and capitalist excess 'cool'

They weren't libertarian non-interventionists. They were aware of people like Noam Chomsky for example and still hated that sort of left-libertarian more than they did the rank conservatives who bled the country dry and blew up the brown hordes. They were just fine with authoritarian policy with those goals in mind.

Parker and Stone combine the worst of US style libertarianism and its 'let them eat cake' spouted from the well off suburbs with just plain old US conservative attitudes about policing the hordes around the world and the masses home.

Quote from: tribalfusion on July 09, 2020, 07:58:16 PM
I understand what you're getting at but Parker and Stone were very much FOR the wars unlike left-leaning liberals whom they especially took pleasure in savaging. Parker and Stone were the more dangerous hypocrites trying to make the same old imperialism and capitalist excess 'cool'

They weren't libertarian non-interventionists. They were aware of people like Noam Chomsky for example and still hated that sort of left-libertarian more than they did the rank conservatives who bled the country dry and blew up the brown hordes. They were just fine with authoritarian policy with those goals in mind.

Parker and Stone combine the worst of US style libertarianism and its 'let them eat cake' spouted from the well off suburbs with just plain old US conservative attitudes about policing the hordes around the world and the masses home.

That's becoming clearer to me looking back, yes.

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 09, 2020, 06:29:38 PM
Honestly I find it stranger that you would suspect they do have a right-wing agenda

Mate. The theme song and the "dicks fuck pussies" speech aren't funny because Stone and Parker think they're true. They're funny because it's completely fucking dumb and I daresay they knew that they would receive precisely these critical responses. Americans absolutely lap this shit up.

Sorry, if I'm repeating myself but why is it so unlikely that Stone and Parker would actually hold those opinions? Aside from the specifics of what S and P have said in interviews, why is the idea that a hawk might express their ideas through comedy so strange? Doesn't the scene with Hans Blix seem exactly the kind of thing somone with a mistrust of the UN and a belief in acting tough might write? If you think the movie was written, as you put it, in character, why is it so hard to imagine that that character really exists?
Obviously, !America Fuck Yeah!'is a comedy song - but why assume that it's a 180 degree satire of a nationalist opinion, when its just as likely a kind of comic exaggeration of what they S and P reallly beleive? Sorry to put another link, but have a look at this long interview they did at the time, I think their opinion about America becomes pretty clear about three quarters of the way through, and it's not a million miles from 'america fuck yeah!'.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2004/oct/12/1

Old Nehamkin

There was some discussion in the "left-wing comedians" thread about Chris Morris and where he might fall on the political spectrum, which led me to dig up some old interviews and profiles from around the time of Four Lions, including the following series of blogs from Birth Movies Death in which (disgraced sex-pest) Devin Faraci chronicles his experiences accompanying Morris on the film's U.S. press tour:

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2010/10/29/on-the-road-the-four-lions-tour-part-1-los-angeles

I was interested in this passage describing a meeting between Morris and Matt Stone in L.A., which gives the impression that the two of them are fairly good friends (or at least were back in 2010), as well as being mutual friends with UK comedian/journalist Jane Bussman. I'm not sure exactly how much insight can be gleaned into either man's politics by the fact of this overlap, but I thought it was worth sharing.

QuoteThat later use came when the press day ended. Chris made his way to the Standard pool deck, where his friend and South Park creator Matt Stone was waiting. While the two of them caught up, Tim and I - [IRRELEVANT FILLER FOLLOWS]

We soon joined Chris and Matt and more or less just listened to them talk. If you put two satirists at a table, funny things will happen. What was most interesting was the steady stream of book recommendations coming from the two of them - these guys just devour non-fiction books, as I guess you must when your job involves poking fun at current events. They also tend to meet really interesting people; they spent a lot of time discussing mutual friend Jane Bussman, who had gone from being a celebrity journalist to covering African genocide (I guess there's hope for me yet). Her book Worst Date Ever: War Crimes, Hollywood Heart-Throbs And Other Abominations now sits in my Amazon cart (Amazon.uk only, though).

What's worse? Being a c-c-c-c-centrist or a c-c-c-c-conservative?

I guess I'm saying that what's worse than reactionaries is reactionaries dressing up as subversive punk rockers, becoming media darlings, and getting right-wing ideas across to an audience your traditional conservative would never be able to reach.

As for Morris, his opinions are impossible to pin down because in his best work he focussed so much on very specific details and saw foibles in people of all persuasions. Because of the outrageousness of Brass Eye, a lot of libertarians are drawn to him, but in the Fur-Q sketch, the most incisive bit is the Rolling Stone journalist who is so desperate to be seen to be in on the joke and supporting the edgy new thing, that he can't see he's praising a murderer.
A few years later, the same kind of journalist would be uncritically praising Eminem...whose misogyny was always done with humour and an an ironic flavour, but was also not really the opposite of what he believed.

Retinend

Morris is anti islamophobia and anti-FBI. Doesn't really narrow it down. Pure speculation, but I bet he reads Private Eye.

George Oscar Bluth II

Jimmy Carr, surely. No idea what his material is like now but his 2000s stuff was pretty punch downy, a kind of amusing accompaniment to the hate-tv of Benefits Street and the like.

Hell, what about Lucas and Walliams, the nastiest stuff on Little Britain was predicated on the idea that the existence of minorities is inherently funny, the disabled are faking for benefits, foreigners are all mad etc etc

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: Master Cylinder on July 10, 2020, 01:45:37 PM
What's worse? Being a c-c-c-c-centrist or a c-c-c-c-conservative?
You know what's worse? Believing in God. Cause I'm an atheist, yeah, and also I tell jokes about Hollywood types at The Golden Globes, who love the attention

Joe Oakes

Parker & Stone might have some questionable views, but more importantly they can be very funny. I'd rather listen to them or someone like Norm MacDonald over any comedian who happens to share my admittedly perfect opinions.

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on July 11, 2020, 01:41:51 AM
You know what's worse? Believing in God. Cause I'm an atheist, yeah, and also I tell jokes about Hollywood types at The Golden Globes, who love the attention

Can I get into an online fight with you? It'd give you fodder for your next special.

pcsjwgm

Just came across this dull James Bond parody, presumably written by Greg Gutfeld, the libertarian Fox News host on whose show this sketch appears. The laughter has to be artificial, or "real" but forced at best.
https://twitter.com/Ayaan/status/1329156128215732226

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Weeping Prophet on July 09, 2020, 01:31:21 PM
Surprised nobody brought up Mike Nelson of MST3K/Rifftrax, though many people are only now discovering that he's right-wing because of his (now severed) connection with right-wing podcast Audio Mullet. But as funny conservatives go, he's got to be one of the better ones.
It was never a secret - I remember going on MST3K forums in...2004? Around then, and there being right-wing trolls who asked us why we weren't disowning Nelson if we were so bothered about being left-wing. "Because we like his show and he never had a remotely political gag in it", was usually the answer. His post-MST3K writing, that very slightly humorous essay style so beloved of American comedians and satirists, was a different matter as I recall.

Pancake

Carr is the archetypal Islington media type, wants his big house and leafy street but I'd happily bet he's pretty right on politically. Like Gervais, his punchy downy (can't say that anymore!) material is probably just what he finds funny and can write about, rather than reflective of his worldview

colacentral

I'm a bit late coming to this thread, but I just remembered reading that Simpsons writer John Schwartzwelder is conservative, unlike most of the rest of the original Simpsons writers. I think I read about that in an interview with George Meyer.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 24, 2020, 01:33:53 PM
It was never a secret - I remember going on MST3K forums in...2004? Around then, and there being right-wing trolls who asked us why we weren't disowning Nelson if we were so bothered about being left-wing. "Because we like his show and he never had a remotely political gag in it", was usually the answer. His post-MST3K writing, that very slightly humorous essay style so beloved of American comedians and satirists, was a different matter as I recall.

What's more surprising is that he's a devout, church going christian.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: colacentral on November 28, 2020, 09:48:57 PM
I'm a bit late coming to this thread, but I just remembered reading that Simpsons writer John Schwartzwelder is conservative, unlike most of the rest of the original Simpsons writers.
According to this video by Renegade Cut, Schwartzwelder is "an arch-conservative libertarian and paranoid recluse". He wrote "Homer's Enemy" and the video argues that Schwartzwelder's politics bleed into the episode.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Retinend on July 09, 2020, 05:57:10 PM
Just watched episode 1 of King of the Hill. Right from the off it's sticking it to those pencil-pushers with sociology degrees. More generally, Judge does have a prejudice somewhat right-wing in flavour, re the arrogance of effete, nominally elitist, academics.

Doesn't stop me from loving KoTH, though.
I think Judge is a proponent of the 'common sense brigade' or 'sensible centre/er'. I haven't exactly kept up-to-date with Judge news but I am sort of surprised he hasn't jumped on the 'anti-woke police' bandwagon like a lot of people have.

An tSaoi

Mike Judge is against Trump. He worked on some anti-Trump ads featuring Terry Crews as the president from Idiocracy, but they didn't get aired.

It still leaves the possibility of him being a Republican, but if he is, at least he's not a "deplorable". Plus, I wouldn't say any of his comedy is hateful. Yes, he makes fun of the vegan pencil-necks etc, but it's not bigoted in the familiar right-wing sense. Dale Gribble is certainly a parody of the sort of conservative conspiracy theorists that have become much louder in the last few years.

If KOTH was still running, there's no way Hank would support Trump. Far too coarse and immoral for Hank.