Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:48:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Unintentionally funny, shit sentences

Started by Gregory Torso, July 07, 2020, 12:25:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Torso

from Stephen King's "The Running Man":

QuoteThe cop relaxed, his face subtle and Chinese with disappointment.
QuoteSoon they all stood stripped and anonymous, penises dangling between their legs like forgotten warclubs.
QuoteHis anus felt hot and embarrassed

Twonty Gostelow

QuoteYes, I said yes, I will, Yes.

From James Joyce's Ulysses, when Molly Bloom is asked "will you name the band who released Wind and Wuthering?"

Twonty Gostelow

^ Forgot I'd posted that - it seemed funny at the time, sorry.

Best I can come up with at the moment is from the novel 'Fear', the scene a college professor's house.
Quote from:  L Ron HubbardSomewhere there was a scurrying sound as though a scholarly rat had been annoyed while gnawing on some learned tome.
Oh, that sort of scurrying.

Keebleman

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on July 07, 2020, 02:00:35 AM
From James Joyce's Ulysses, when Molly Bloom is asked "will you name the band who released Wind and Wuthering?"

Wind and Wuthering was a Genesis album.  Or is that the joke?  Sorry.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Keebleman on July 13, 2020, 10:19:32 PM
Wind and Wuthering was a Genesis album.  Or is that the joke?  Sorry.
Yeah, that's the joke. If it was Tales from Topographic Oceans her answer wouldn't have been "unintentionally funny and shit".

I am a hoot.

Dex Sawash

"She kissed him right there on the service road"

Don't remember if there were any commas

bgmnts

Quote from: Richard AdamsRowf's rump slid suddenly forward as smoothly as a turd from a healthy anus, and dropped out of sight.

Keebleman

I think it was William Goldman who swore he had seen this sentence in some tacky airport novel:

"His eyes slid down the front of her dress."

Andy147

Craig Brown has written that he was once planning to parody Jackie Collins in Private Eye, so was reading one of her novels to get some idea of her style, and found it included the sentence "Men flipped over her nipples", at which point he decided she was beyond parody.

Panbaams

I've just started Jeffrey Archer's Kane and Abel, which was recently available for free on Kindle. Could he really be that bad?

QuoteThank God it's a boy, she thought, understanding for the first time how Anne Boleyn must have felt.

Yep.

buttgammon

petercussing

"The room was cold and smelled of parents"

Panbaams

Quote from: Panbaams on August 06, 2020, 09:07:41 AM
I've just started Jeffrey Archer's Kane and Abel, which was recently available for free on Kindle. Could he really be that bad?

Yep.

This is too easy.

QuoteBoth boys lay motionless, Wladek because he was dazed by the blow and the weight of Leon's body on top of him, and Leon because he was dead.

bgmnts

That one got me hard. Was that meant to be one of those matter of fact reveals? If not, i'd make the case that it reads like an intentionally funny line.

samadriel

Mister Six

Quote from: bgmnts on August 07, 2020, 08:37:07 AMWas that meant to be one of those matter of fact reveals? If not, i'd make the case that it reads like an intentionally funny line.

Yeah, that's obviously a deadpan joke, surely?

purlieu

It's hard to tell with Jeffrey Archer, because he's written books called Only Time Will Tell, The Sins of the Father, Best Kept Secret, Be Careful What You Wish For, Mightier Than the Sword, Cometh the Hour, Not a Penny More Not a Penny Less, First Among Equals, A Matter of Honour, As the Crow Flies, Honour Among Thieves, False Impression and A Twist in the Tale. Someone whose oeuvre is almost entirely defined by cliches should probably be expected to write utter tripe.

I had a glance at a couple of his books when I worked in a book shop and his writing was painfully bad. Really clunky sixth form bullshit that nobody with an imagination or indeed a soul would ever have come up with.

bgmnts

Quote from: Gregory Torso on July 07, 2020, 12:25:14 AM
from Stephen King's "The Running Man":

To continue the odd east asian descriptions, in The Stand:

QuoteThe small men and women with the upslanted eyes looked at his caked forehead and bloody jacket sleeve with unsettling Oriental blandness.