Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:30:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"A Letter on Justice and Open Debate"

Started by Pdine, July 08, 2020, 10:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Crisps? on July 13, 2020, 10:08:49 AM
The ones whose beliefs have no bearing on their job. So if someone chooses to announce they have a dislike for a specific group of people (or a liking in the wrong way) and has a position of authority over members of that group, they should be sacked, not even because they said a bad thing, but because they can no longer be assumed to be acting impartially.
I'm open to the idea of reforming employment law in a way that makes people more secure in their livelihoods, but I find the idea of forcing, for instance, some local small business to keep on a janitor who's been openly racists outside of working hours just because that person isn't in the sort of position of power you're getting at. How do you balance the rights of employees with the rights of employers to protect their goodwill?

idunnosomename

i think we should lock up men who walk around with their shirts off

jobotic

Quote from: Zetetic on July 13, 2020, 11:32:15 AM
You're not allowed to be naked in public spaces in the UK most of the time, rightly or wrongly. (Wrongly, I reckon, on balance. The ECHR disagrees.)

Woah, being naked is anti-semitic now? This looks bad for Corbyn (when he's naked)

Buelligan

He's always naked. Underneath his uniform. You can't see it because he constantly maintains a facade to fool us all with.

JaDanketies

So long as employers give their staff a formal disciplinary process. Going viral for one racist tweet should get you a verbal warning, then a written warning, etc... and dragging your employers' name through the mud could be construed as gross misconduct, if you're tweeting racist stuff from an account that is linked to your employer. If you get fired for saying something stupid on social media on an account that isn't explicitly linked to your employer - i.e. if you were doxed - then employment tribunals should successfully rule that you should have at least had a formal verbal warning and then a written warning.

No protections for the self-employed, but we knew what we were getting into. You can't force our clients to continue working with us if they don't want to.

On a related note, any kind of stigma associated with attempting to remain anonymous on the internet should be crushed. Anyone who calls for everyone on Twitter to use their real name should be roundly condemned as a fool.

Crisps?

Quote from: Buelligan on July 13, 2020, 11:12:21 AM
And who decides that?  Who decides the line of morality that can or cannot be crossed?  Is it a panel of the Great and the Good, Chomsky and Rowling perhaps?  Or is it all of us?

It's probably their employer.

Quote from: Jumblegraws on July 13, 2020, 11:59:14 AM
I'm open to the idea of reforming employment law in a way that makes people more secure in their livelihoods, but I find the idea of forcing, for instance, some local small business to keep on a janitor who's been openly racists outside of working hours just because that person isn't in the sort of position of power you're getting at. How do you balance the rights of employees with the rights of employers to protect their goodwill?

I'd say the employee's personal opinions and what they do outside of work are not the employer's business, if they don't affect how they do the job and the employee is not doing anything to imply the company endorses the opinions.

Barry Admin

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 13, 2020, 12:43:28 PMOn a related note, any kind of stigma associated with attempting to remain anonymous on the internet should be crushed. Anyone who calls for everyone on Twitter to use their real name should be roundly condemned as a fool.

Yeah, that's an excellent point, I still remember how scared most users were of the internet back in the late 90s. "You're not even posting under your real name" is seen as a kind of cheap, automatic debate-winner by your blue tick celebs, but gee, I wonder if any of these folks might have an ulterior motive for wanting the personal details of plebs that really hack them off.

I would bet at least one of these wanks bemoaning cancel culture has also done one of those "I hunt down and confront my trolls" things.

But individuals aren't the problem, eh? Rather, it's when people group together and form a "mob" - that's the term I'm seeing all the time at the minute. From Black Lives Matter; to the protesting of Nazi art and platforming of Nazi speakers; to the criticism of transphobic celebrities spreading fear and bigotry.

All the work of "the mob." An unthinking, seething mass.

Retinend

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 13, 2020, 12:43:28 PMOn a related note, any kind of stigma associated with attempting to remain anonymous on the internet should be crushed. Anyone who calls for everyone on Twitter to use their real name should be roundly condemned as a fool.

How about we condemn everyone on Twitter as a fool and cover our bases?

JaDanketies

Quote from: Crisps? on July 13, 2020, 01:09:19 PM
I'd say the employee's personal opinions and what they do outside of work are not the employer's business, if they don't affect how they do the job and the employee is not doing anything to imply the company endorses the opinions.

Someone might have clients on their Facebook, or other business relations of their employer. If they were on it sounding off about p*kis and ch*nks and hating the queers, I don't think it would make a great difference to their employer if they were doing it before 9am and after 5pm or during the lunch break.

Buelligan

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 13, 2020, 12:43:28 PM
On a related note, any kind of stigma associated with attempting to remain anonymous on the internet should be crushed. Anyone who calls for everyone on Twitter to use their real name should be roundly condemned as a fool.

This is true and needs saying.  I work hard to preserve my privacy because I want and need to be alone, that's the truth.  The last time I was foolish enough to reveal myself, a stranger traveled across several countries to knock on the door, not through malice but still.  I did not answer.  People need their privacy.

And, on an impersonal note, anonymity is a leveler.  As soon as people bring their non-virtual sex or fame, money or power, or lack of it, into the conversation the old hierarchies revive their control.  And that's why there's pressure to sign up and sign in, google mail anyone, Youtube, Narcbook, so's the old power structures and controls can be maintained and strengthened.  I remember when the internet was all fields.

Barry Admin

It was actually wonderful, and I was thinking of it again just recently. I really love the written word and like this place not being plastered with embedded videos etc, and marvelled at the internet when it was all just about writing and reading. Which isn't to say I didn't spend 40 minutes lying in bed this morning watching video clips of "out of context cats", but yes, what stays with me is the way communication would occur without knowing diddly about the person you were talking to.

Then you'd pick up bits and pieces, and start figuring out it was a sort of person you'd never normally have talked to - perhaps never actually have listened to - because of certain cultural barriers or norms or whatever, but here they were, and they were fascinating, and it felt like everyone had more in common than you actually realised, and it was brilliant.

Then everyone started uploading pictures of themselves, and the whole thing got fucked sideways.

Buelligan

Yes indeed.  And, of course, anonymity does away with cancel culture at a stroke.  Returns the exchange of ideas to something more pure and free but less usable for targeted advertising.

Let's have an eye test.  Which is better...

this

or this?

bgmnts

Macy's has better parking to be fair.

Sin Agog

The first picture also comes with prefab furniture.  I think some people know them as 'trees.'

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Crisps? on July 13, 2020, 01:09:19 PM
It's probably their employer.

Well, this is the problem with posting your bigoted views or moonbat conspiracy theories on social media. It's there in writing for all the world to see, forever. If someone hears the janitor down the pub having a right old rant about "coming over here, taking our jobs and our dole", he's not necessarily recognisable (unless he's drinking in his work uniform with the name of the company emblazoned on the back). Plus, even if he is recognised, it's still one person's word against another and a company probably isn't going to give a shit what somebody said down the pub as long as the toilets are properly cleaned. But if the janitor writes that stuff on Facebook, next to his picture, and the name of his employer? Anybody can see that. It's there forever. That's why I don't name my employer on Facebook and confine my posts to holiday snaps and funny videos. You can't rely on privacy filters either, because they fail all the time.

People need to be more savvy about social media if they're using their real name. But some of them don't care, and more of them still don't think of the Internet as "real life".

Zetetic

Quote from: Zetetic on July 13, 2020, 11:32:15 AM
You're not allowed to be naked in public spaces in the UK most of the time, rightly or wrongly.
Worth emphasising that this isn't a theoretical thing. If you try it then you get arrested and convicted of public order offences over and over and over again until you stop: Stephen Gough.

Zetetic

Cuellar

https://twitter.com/ConnorSouthard/status/1283063960338497536/photo/1

Signatory of THE LETTER Bari Weiss, hounded out (resigned from) the NYT, because other NYT journalists slagged her off on twitter and weren't 'met with appropriate action' for it.

Champion of free speech which should NEVER have professional consequences.

Barry Admin

Ha ha. Reminds me of something I saw that Shaun had said:

Quote from: Shaunfree speech is when i'm winning the argument, cancel culture is when i'm losing

Buelligan

Everything I know about Bari Weiss tells me that the world is far better off without her on the NYT's platform.  A really nasty piece of work, that one.

Famous Mortimer

Good riddance.

Also, the NYT saying they're committed to a wide range of voices in their opinion column. From Nazis at one end to middle-of-the-road Democrats on the other! The complete range of opinions!

Barry Admin

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on July 19, 2020, 03:16:00 AM
For those wanting a laugh, that Harper's piece, well, turns out some people were cancelled during production - they offered to sign but had votes on who should and shouldn't be included. CANCEL CULTURE AMIRITE.
Glenn Greenwald was going to be there but WAS CANCELLED
https://twitter.com/zei_squirrel/status/1284328426204274694

Famous Mortimer

I'd laugh if it weren't so fucking pathetic

Cuellar

Can't believe they no platformed Glenn Greenwald :(

Pdine

To be fair I think there's a huge difference between not wanting someone to sign your open letter and 'cancellation'. It is maybe more akin to 'no platforming', but even that connection is pretty tenuous.

Cuellar

It's an attack on freedom of expression

Sebastian Cobb

These days if you say you like a laugh you'll be arrested and thrown in jail.

idunnosomename