Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:54:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"A Letter on Justice and Open Debate"

Started by Pdine, July 08, 2020, 10:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I'm originally from the midlands, actually!

idunnosomename

terribly sorry please accept my apologies

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 20, 2020, 12:06:15 AM

Yes yes "woke" is the biggest threat after the pandemic, you fucking clown.

chveik

this man has never laughed in his whole life

Mister Six

Quote from: Cuellar on July 19, 2020, 10:19:36 PM
It's an attack on freedom of expression

It's not really, though, is it? Greenwald et al are still free to voice opinions in line with the ones expressed in the letter and nobody who signed it is going to shout them down or try to have them de-platformed.

Buelligan

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 20, 2020, 12:06:15 AM

These days if you say you like a laugh you'll be arrested and thrown in jail.

Put him on an island with David Starkey and make them tell jokes for food, we'll see who's laughing then.  That's my advice anyway.

Cuellar

Quote from: Mister Six on July 20, 2020, 07:06:06 AM
It's not really, though, is it? Greenwald et al are still free to voice opinions in line with the ones expressed in the letter and nobody who signed it is going to shout them down or try to have them de-platformed.

Stop trying to cancel me

SpiderChrist

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 20, 2020, 12:12:27 AM
oh fuck off you miserable scots git

and get yer hair cut, you look like a girl

Famous Mortimer

Wandering back on topic, there's an excellent episode of the podcast "Citations Needed" about the letter.

kngen

Intellectual Dark Web superlord and anti-cancel culture king Brett Weinstein (of that tedious Dark Horse mutual bumfeel) tries to cancel bloke from The Majority Report.

https://twitter.com/BretWeinstein/status/1284564434959003648

Doesn't need to explain the hypocrisy because all his dreary reddit acolytes are doing it for him:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IntellectualDarkWeb/comments/htnc8a/producer_at_majority_report_broadcasts_knowing/

honeychile

Quote from: Buelligan on July 20, 2020, 07:22:29 AM
Put him on an island with David Starkey and make them walk the coast.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 20, 2020, 02:38:13 PM
Wandering back on topic, there's an excellent episode of the podcast "Citations Needed" about the letter.
The introduction to it makes some very good points, which other people in this thread have made.

1. It was obviously a right-wing stalking horse. If you're a public figure and are asked to sign something with extremely vague aims (we support freedom of speech) it's a good idea to find out who's asking you to sign it. It's like "I support human rights in Venezuela", but the people asking you to sign it are the same CIA backers of Guaido.
2. It's very obviously just about rich people not wanting people to be mad at them on Twitter; the letter ignores the institutional silencing of black people, women, LGBT+ people and almost everyone even a whisker left of centre. There are no mainstream avenues for these people to have their voices heard, and that's why they're using social media to express their justified anger.
3. How many people lost their jobs thanks to Bari Weiss, merely because they supported Palestinian rights? How was their freedom of speech protected? One of the other signees, Anne-Marie Slaughter, got a bunch of research assistants fired because they dared to criticise corporate sponsor Google. How about their freedoms?

Anyway, I'm just recapping what they said, as they summed my thoughts up better than I could. It's worth a listen.

popcorn

I don't understand that comic. I think people who subscribe to that argument are aware that Hitler existed.

JaDanketies

I don't think we need to throw the whole principle of free speech as elucidated in that Voltaire misquote out. Again, criticism and cancelling is also an aspect of free speech that ought to be defended to the death. Even arguing against free speech falls under the umbrella.

Famous Mortimer

I presume the signatories will be jumping all over this. You know, because of their worship of free speech.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-51447615

idunnosomename

the hilarious titania mcgrath has been RESTRICTED from twitter. lil balloon head is riling everyone up about free speech

i would ban titania mcgrath for being an unfunny glove-puppet for a grifter

king_tubby

Kryton