Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:16:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you need software to write out guitar tab?

Started by BeardFaceMan, July 08, 2020, 02:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

I want to write out some guitar tab for some songs, what's the easiest way of doing it? Any software out there to do it easily or am I better off just making a template in notepad and using that?

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Guitar pro is pretty good, got full on tabbing capabilities plus playback that sounds tons less shit than the default midi. Can't remember how much it costs though

EDIT: Just checked and apparently it's now quite steep. There's probably software out there that's cheaper or free but I divn't know what it is.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah Guitar Pro would have been good because I think that's what people use to make custom DLC for Rocksmith, which would have been handy to have, but as you say it's a bit pricey for something to just write out tab.

PlanktonSideburns

Sure there's a knockoff, possibly a Linux based one (on other os too though) tux guitar I think it was called? Seem to recall that doing basically the same thing

Noodle Lizard

Musescore 3 is a fantastic piece of software. Free and open source, but does pretty much everything you could ever need for composition and scoring any type of instrument. With the guitar tabs, you can also include strums patterns, slides and other flourishes with pretty accurate playback. If you look at some tutorials, you can really fiddle around with guitar playback too.

https://musescore.org