Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,454
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:28:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Watching (or rewatching) The Sopranos

Started by Blue Jam, July 08, 2020, 04:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpo Speaks

I'd be interested to watch the Christopher Columbus day episode again given the current climate.

amateur

Extremely tempted to rewatch this for all of the reasons above. So many moments that rattle around my head on a regular basis but always come back to the therapy scenes.

Dr. Melfi: It's sad that you lost something you loved. That being said, it is a horse.

Tony: What the fuck's the matter with you?

Absolutely agree about so many moments that become lodged in your head. The characterisation and performances are so good that little lines that aren't necessarily standout on the page become absolutely electric moments. Not that the writing isn't stellar too, but it's to it's credit it never feels written.

I can't imagine a time where I don't randomly hear Edie Falco saying "Bird feeder, listen to yourself - you sound demented!" in the amazing showdown between her and Tony. She absolutely spits that one out.

Blue Jam

Quote from: amateur on July 14, 2020, 08:51:18 AMDr. Melfi: It's sad that you lost something you loved. That being said, it is a horse.

Tony: What the fuck's the matter with you?

"Hey, that's my fuckin' dog!"

I love the way that savvy, streetwise Tony Soprano genuinely believed Tippy had gone to live on a farm.

Did Tony know Christopher squashed Adriana's poor little pocket rat dog Cozette? He would have been beside himself (privately, and only after kicking Christopher's ass).

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 14, 2020, 10:02:08 AM

Did Tony know Christopher squashed Adriana's poor little pocket rat dog Cozette? He would have been beside himself (privately, and only after kicking Christopher's ass).

Yes, he found out at Christopher's intervention. He wasn't happy.

jobotic

Ha!

Tony's not happy. Oh here we go...

magval

On both podcasts, both sets of hosts ask if a show like the Sopranos could be made today when talking about the racism towards the housekeeper (and in general).

Are they doing this to come across as PC, or are they stupid? Or am I stupid for thinking that a cable channel could and would still happily and with no objection create fiction with racist characters in it?

I'm asking this genuinely and not rhetorically because I don't watch any current TV, so I don't know, but come on, surely there's still casual racism amongst characters you're not supposed to like on non-network television in 2020?

Puce Moment

I have started, albeit a little late in season 6, to read the wiki and iMDb trivia about episodes after they have finished. I'm annoyed I didn't so this sooner because an idle glance shows the richness of this show, and the attention to detail that ensures the world is credible. Take a random episode - season 6, episode 12 'Kaisha' (SPOILERS) - the episode before the mid-season break which finishes with that 'happy' but entirely portentious xmas scene at the end.

"The episode's title, "Kaisha," is the name of Christopher's imaginary black girlfriend.
"Kaisha" was also the name of (Chris' former heroin dealer) Credenzo Curtis's ex, mentioned by him right before he is assassinated after the hit on Carmine Lupertazzi was called off in "Whitecaps.""

Yep, 'Whitecaps' is S4 E13. Also, the moment when Chris tells Tony that he is fucking Julianna, the real estate woman, Tony begrudgingly forgives him. But we remember what happens when someone fucks one of Tony's exes from the earlier episode when he beats the crap out of the guy for sleeping with his Russian ex. It puts the
Spoiler alert
inevitable, opportunistic murder of Chris
[close]
into a different light. For me, the drugs
Spoiler alert
are an excuse for Tony to kill him
[close]
, evidenced by the way that he encourages Chris to drink after the wine boost.

Then there are 'Other cultural references' (there are tons but here are some):
When Benny calls Tony to confirm the destruction of Phil's wireroom, he refers to Phil as "the Shah" due to his resemblance to the deposed Shah of Iran.
Christopher and Julianna are watching Hitchcock's Vertigo at a movie theater after smoking heroin in his car.
In what appears to be a joke towards writer Terence Winter, Christopher mentions that the "50 Cent movie" aka Get Rich or Die Tryin' was being given away free at the car wash. Winter wrote the script for that film and co-wrote this episode.
Bobby Jr. watches the film A Christmas Carol on TV before starting to flip through channels. Scrooge was previously featured in the season 5 episode "The Test Dream."
Bobby Jr. is later prominently watching Casablanca. A reference to the film could be when Blanca admires Carmela's house ("casa" in Spanish or Italian).

The next episode after the mid-season break is 'Soprano Home Movies' which manages to be a completely original, tense episode set out on Bobby and Janice's lakeside home. Apart from the fact that the episode is wonderful (particularly the release of tension when Bobby finally punches Tony), it can also be enjoyed for its Goodfellas and Godfather references. The lakeside home, the boat, the threat of Tony whacking his 'brother' on the lake, Tony's ' "Different how? How am I different?", the way Bobby leaves the hit on the young guy. These two/four films cast a real presence over the show, but usually in a way that is unintrusive.
Spoiler alert
The most obvious example being the fact that Members Only jacket guy goes to the toilet in the final scene.
[close]

mr. logic

And that's from an episode generally regarded as one of the weaker ones

magval

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 14, 2020, 11:36:48 AM
I have started, albeit a little late in season 6, to read the wiki and iMDb trivia about episodes after they have finished. I'm annoyed I didn't so this sooner because an idle glance shows the richness of this show, and the attention to detail that ensures the world is credible. Take a random episode - season 6, episode 12 'Kaisha' (SPOILERS) - the episode before the mid-season break which finishes with that 'happy' but entirely portentious xmas scene at the end.

"The episode's title, "Kaisha," is the name of Christopher's imaginary black girlfriend.
"Kaisha" was also the name of (Chris' former heroin dealer) Credenzo Curtis's ex, mentioned by him right before he is assassinated after the hit on Carmine Lupertazzi was called off in "Whitecaps.""

Yep, 'Whitecaps' is S4 E13. Also, the moment when Chris tells Tony that he is fucking Julianna, the real estate woman, Tony begrudgingly forgives him. But we remember what happens when someone fucks one of Tony's exes from the earlier episode when he beats the crap out of the guy for sleeping with his Russian ex. It puts the
Spoiler alert
inevitable, opportunistic murder of Chris
[close]
into a different light. For me, the drugs
Spoiler alert
are an excuse for Tony to kill him
[close]
, evidenced by the way that he encourages Chris to drink after the wine boost.

Then there are 'Other cultural references' (there are tons but here are some):
When Benny calls Tony to confirm the destruction of Phil's wireroom, he refers to Phil as "the Shah" due to his resemblance to the deposed Shah of Iran.
Christopher and Julianna are watching Hitchcock's Vertigo at a movie theater after smoking heroin in his car.
In what appears to be a joke towards writer Terence Winter, Christopher mentions that the "50 Cent movie" aka Get Rich or Die Tryin' was being given away free at the car wash. Winter wrote the script for that film and co-wrote this episode.
Bobby Jr. watches the film A Christmas Carol on TV before starting to flip through channels. Scrooge was previously featured in the season 5 episode "The Test Dream."
Bobby Jr. is later prominently watching Casablanca. A reference to the film could be when Blanca admires Carmela's house ("casa" in Spanish or Italian).

The next episode after the mid-season break is 'Soprano Home Movies' which manages to be a completely original, tense episode set out on Bobby and Janice's lakeside home. Apart from the fact that the episode is wonderful (particularly the release of tension when Bobby finally punches Tony), it can also be enjoyed for its Goodfellas and Godfather references. The lakeside home, the boat, the threat of Tony whacking his 'brother' on the lake, Tony's ' "Different how? How am I different?", the way Bobby leaves the hit on the young guy. These two/four films cast a real presence over the show, but usually in a way that is unintrusive.
Spoiler alert
The most obvious example being the fact that Members Only jacket guy goes to the toilet in the final scene.
[close]

I know I mentioned it upthread but I really strongly recommend The Sopranos Sessions for this exact sort of thing. It's written in a really engaging way too, so don't be put off if all you've ever seen of episode recaps is Den of Geek dissecting Game of Thrones.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 14, 2020, 11:36:48 AM
season 6, episode 12 'Kaisha' (SPOILERS) - the episode before the mid-season break which finishes with that 'happy' but entirely portentious xmas scene at the end.

...and of course, the ending of the season finale, with the happy but portentous family scene at the restaurant, mirrors that happy but portentous Xmas scene.

Chollis

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on July 14, 2020, 10:12:23 AM
Yes, he found out at Christopher's intervention. He wasn't happy.

God I love that scene. One of the funniest ever committed to film, everyone there gets a chance to shine.

Tony's scrunched up-face of disgust/confusion throughout is great. Also Paulie trying to seeks some meaning as to why someone would sit on a dog: "What was it, barking?"

"We're here today because we care about you."

Within minutes everyone's kicking the shit out of Christoper, hospitalising him with a hairline skull fracture (explained to the doctor as a result of him standing on the kitchen worktop while spraying for ants). "He was wearing socks." Brilliant stuff.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on July 14, 2020, 02:36:40 PM
I love this scene from the wonderful Pine Barrens episode so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsxthFO-HWs

"His house looked like shit."
One of the funniest lines in the whole show, in my opinion.

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on July 14, 2020, 03:07:31 PM
"We're here today because we care about you."

Within minutes everyone's kicking the shit out of Christoper, hospitalising him with a hairline skull fracture (explained to the doctor as a result of him standing on the kitchen worktop while spraying for ants). "He was wearing socks." Brilliant stuff.

Haha, yes. I'm smiling just thinking about it. That whole scene is rammed with brilliant moments, one after the other. Sil's speech about how Chrissy's behaviour has affected him is superbly delivered, building to a perfect pause before his one-word summation: "Disgusting."

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 14, 2020, 03:20:46 PM
"His house looked like shit."
One of the funniest lines in the whole show, in my opinion.

Agreed. God knows how many times I've watched that clip.

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on July 14, 2020, 03:34:54 PM
Haha, yes. I'm smiling just thinking about it. That whole scene is rammed with brilliant moments, one after the other. Sil's speech about how Chrissy's behaviour has affected him is superbly delivered, building to a perfect pause before his one-word summation: "Disgusting."

Ha! And Paulie's expression when Sil describes finding Christopher one morning with his head half in the toilet, "Your hair was in the toilet water." 

Deanjam

The Mollusk

I have a pretty bad memory so I often struggle to remember lots of classic bits when it comes to a show that is basically an endless barrage of classic bits, but one line that always sticks out in my head is Tony having a fuckin barney about something, going to the fridge for food and venting his anger through that.

WHAT DO I GOTTA DO TO GET SOME FUCKIN SMOKED TURKEY AROUND HERE

Blue Jam

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 15, 2020, 08:25:53 AM

Another very Seinfeldy bit!

Re: the dog stuff: it's funny that Tony knows what has really happened whenever one of his guys has "gone into witness protection" but didn't know his dog hadn't literally gone to live on a farm.

Also the intervention scene when they're discussing poor little Cozette: out of all of the fat fucks there Christopher looks the least likely to have sat on a dog and squashed it to death.

Puce Moment

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 15, 2020, 08:25:53 AMI have a pretty bad memory so I often struggle to remember lots of classic bits when it comes to a show that is basically an endless barrage of classic bits, but one line that always sticks out in my head is Tony having a fuckin barney about something, going to the fridge for food and venting his anger through that.

I saw that explained as 'sexual frustration' as it comes just after he somehow finally against the odds and with great personal expense stopped himself from fucking a woman for once. I like the idea that it more comes from resentment about his new post-mid-life-crisis vow of chastity and shows it in resentment towards Carmella. He's such an unredemptive prick.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 15, 2020, 12:40:30 PM
I saw that explained as 'sexual frustration' as it comes just after he somehow finally against the odds and with great personal expense stopped himself from fucking a woman for once. I like the idea that it more comes from resentment about his new post-mid-life-crisis vow of chastity and shows it in resentment towards Carmella. He's such an unredemptive prick.

In addition, there's the meat and sex breakthrough in therapy in Season 5.

magval

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on July 15, 2020, 01:05:55 PM
In addition, there's the meat and sex breakthrough in therapy in Season 5.

With the flashback to his auld pair? Cause that's in season 3.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: magval on July 15, 2020, 01:15:21 PM
With the flashback to his auld pair? Cause that's in season 3.

Ah yes, apologies - I was flicking between episodes from Season 3 and Season 5 yesterday so that's where I got confused. More or less going through Season 5 consistently now.

I forgot about that scene in Where's Johnny? when Junior sees Larry David and Jeff Garlin on the TV and thinks it's him and Bobby.

kngen

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on July 15, 2020, 01:36:52 PM
Ah yes, apologies - I was flicking between episodes from Season 3 and Season 5 yesterday so that's where I got confused. More or less going through Season 5 consistently now.

I forgot about that scene in Where's Johnny? when Junior sees Larry David and Jeff Garlin on the TV and thinks it's him and Bobby.

I always wondered if there was a weird contractual stipulation by HBO that they should sneak in a reference to another HBO show or HBO in general for marketing purposes (Deadwood is mentioned in The Wire; Julia Louis-Dreyfus says she wants to work on HBO in Curb Your Enthusiasm so she can swear on TV[nb]In Game of Thrones, Tyrion Lannister said 'Dream On was a very average sitcom, but at least you could see tits in it!' but it never made the final edit.[/nb]). If that was the case, then it was a masterful way of adhering to it.

Puce Moment

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on July 15, 2020, 01:36:52 PMI forgot about that scene in Where's Johnny? when Junior sees Larry David and Jeff Garlin on the TV and thinks it's him and Bobby.

My memory of this is watching the episode when it went out on C4 and already knowing this was a reference - and being surprised that they kind of broke the fourth wall a bit in terms of HBO tie-in. I thought it was quite odd that they would take something spoken about on forums and inserted into the show. It is very playful and fucking funny though - although it is kinda a cheap dementia joke.