Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:33:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Being so anxious about returning to work that you feel physically sick

Started by madhair60, July 08, 2020, 05:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Here's a fun one for the madhair fans, I should be starting working from home tomorrow. IT department has had since March to sort this out but dragged their feet this entire time, and of course it's being implied it's somehow my fault. Non-issue though. The thought of going back to work after this, even from home, is sickening. I hate that job. I earn enough from my writing work to survive and I think I'd rather just do that than keep up the fucking day job for another second, but then the security of that job, the pension, etc. I no longer want to deal with these people. What would you recommend?

Cuellar

pancreas

Quote from: madhair60 on July 08, 2020, 05:08:45 PM
Here's a fun one for the madhair fans, I should be starting working from home tomorrow. IT department has had since March to sort this out but dragged their feet this entire time, and of course it's being implied it's somehow my fault. Non-issue though. The thought of going back to work after this, even from home, is sickening. I hate that job. I earn enough from my writing work to survive and I think I'd rather just do that than keep up the fucking day job for another second, but then the security of that job, the pension, etc. I no longer want to deal with these people. What would you recommend?

Keep the job while you look for another one, you [DISGUSTING! Removed. -Badmin]

bgmnts

Reminds me of school!

I've pretty much felt sick every Sunday evening i've been in school or work.

Puce Moment

Yeah, looks like in a fortnight I will be back answering emails and marking whilst the UK HE system crumbles around our arseholes.

Makes me want to die.

ASFTSN

This is probably not helpful but I would just like to say it's quality that you're able to make enough to survive by writing. Good on you. Maybe time to fuck this job off.[nb]I am not good at giving advice in any capacity perhaps do not listen to me.[/nb]

imitationleather

Quote from: ASFTSN on July 08, 2020, 05:31:42 PM
This is probably not helpful but I would just like to say it's quality that you're able to make enough to survive by writing.

He means he's been making enough to survive by writing his phone number on public loo doors.

Fair play still managing to do that during lockdown, though.

petercussing

Your job making you physically ill seem like a big clue. Personally i'd set a broad deadline say a week or two, go back to doing the job and if it's still feeling the same then quit cos you'll feel more free knowing you have an out. It does sound like you should just quit, though, saying that.

edit:this is with the caveat that i tend to jog things on with only small reason to quite often

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

That's what you get for saying bad things about Airplane and Alien.

Captain Z

But the economy. We must save the economy. You must save the economy. It is your civic and patriotic duty to protect the economy and quite frankly the economy is far more important than any human's life or wellbeing.

shiftwork2

Quote from: pancreas on July 08, 2020, 05:17:36 PM
Keep the job while you look for another one

Definitely this.  You do have to move on if you feel that way - life is too short.

Barry Admin

Rather than following your dream and concentrating on something you love and which makes you and others happy, I'd suggest pursuing the career that's making you physically sick with dread and anxiety.[NB]My own anxiety got on top of me again this week so I'm trying to do something about it.[/NB]

Emma Raducanu

It's awful being in a job you hate.

And there's nothing more liberating than getting your knob out on a bus quitting and walking outside into fresh air, although covid might deny you that moment.

I was in a job I hated for a year and my life was in total ruins. I handed in my notice then found a job that paid £800 a month less and I became 300 times happier. If you earn enough to get by, get out to help out.

QDRPHNC

It's a cliche, but if you're earning enough from writing to even survive you're luckier than most. Ditch the shit job and use the extra time to build on what you're doing already.

I'm in a similar position, I'm trying to go freelance rather than back into full time work. Freelance I make less money on less high-profile (really, no-profile) projects. But I get to do the part of the job I love, rather than have to stand in front of rooms of twats and talk shit I don't believe in and makes me depressed.

Of course, there's no guarantee the freelancing will pan out, but in the past, when I've made a big decision, and done the right thing as opposed to the safe thing, things start coalescing around that.

homesickalien

Quote from: DolphinFace on July 08, 2020, 07:19:59 PM
I was in a job I hated for a year and my life was in total ruins. I handed in my notice then found a job that paid £800 a month less and I became 300 times happier. If you earn enough to get by, get out to help out.

This

BlodwynPig

Dewt

I'm trying to make my life as small as possible so I can move towards not selling most of my life to an employer just to survive, but of course the process of doing that requires a lot of being employed

So I'm just phoning it in until I get fired and my hand is forced.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 08, 2020, 07:47:33 PM...have to stand in front of rooms of twats and talk shit I don't believe in...

You teach science to Year 5 children?

Ferris

I am, as I type this, looking at my "RESIGN" spreadsheet. Once I hit a certain savings number, I'm outta there like greased lightning.

If you hate your job, quit. You only get one go at life and it seems daft to spend it doing something you hate.

bgmnts

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 09, 2020, 02:36:05 PM
If you hate your job, quit. You only get one go at life and it seems daft to spend it doing something you hate.

If you have marketable skills, yes.

Cuellar

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on July 09, 2020, 02:27:37 PM
You teach science to Year 5 children?

He is Prime Minister and Leader of the Conservative Party Boris Johnson!!

QDRPHNC

Ferris

Quote from: bgmnts on July 09, 2020, 02:50:42 PM
If you have marketable skills, yes.

Do a part time degree in something you like at the local college/uni, in a few years once graduated you'll have your skills (on paper) and a new network of people to speak to so you can get your foot in the door somewhere and away you go. You'll be stuck with a shit student loan of course, but them's the breaks.

It's always doable, don't write yourself off.

Buelligan

Haven't read the replies so far, no time, old bean, I'd recommend running away.  It's what I did.  I did end up working my arse off and being constantly desperately poor and having no security at all but I am happier than I was spending time with those fucking vampires.  So, your choice of course but running away's not as bad as some people try to make out[nb]Obvs, you don't get the swimming pool[nb]Or the health care[nb]Or holidays.[/nb][/nb][/nb].

Mind you, it depends where you start from.  Sounds like you're amongst vampires, so, you know, RUN!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

mr. logic

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 09, 2020, 02:36:05 PM
I am, as I type this, looking at my "RESIGN" spreadsheet. Once I hit a certain savings number, I'm outta there like greased lightning.

I thought you had already quit.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 09, 2020, 03:38:15 PM
Do a part time degree in something you like at the local college/uni, in a few years once graduated you'll have your skills (on paper) and a new network of people to speak to so you can get your foot in the door somewhere and away you go. You'll be stuck with a shit student loan of course, but them's the breaks.

It's always doable, don't write yourself off.

Brrr

Ferris

Quote from: mr. logic on July 09, 2020, 03:45:13 PM
I thought you had already quit.

Told them I'm skipping town and never returning so I'll work remotely but when they want me back in the office I'll be gone, and that is non negotiable. Waiting for them to make any kind of noise or counter offer, but don't give a shit if they don't transfer me to a remote office or whatever. I'm in a limbo of "resigned but with no end date". I'll knock this situation on the head if I don't hear anything in a month or two.

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on July 09, 2020, 03:48:59 PM
Brrr

Difference between having a shiny suited gang of linkedin twats who you'd avoid like the plague in real life vs make some new mates at uni and knock about with them for a few years and when one of them gets in somewhere they can recommend you or tell you if their job is shit and don't bother. The former is miserable and I never do it, the latter is quite nice and useful. That's all I meant.

Life is about balancing the anxiety and nausea of going to work against the anxiety and nausea of not having enough money.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 09, 2020, 03:56:51 PM
Difference between having a shiny suited gang of linkedin twats who you'd avoid like the plague in real life vs make some new mates at uni and knock about with them for a few years and when one of them gets in somewhere they can recommend you or tell you if their job is shit and don't bother. The former is miserable and I never do it, the latter is quite nice and useful. That's all I meant.

Sorry, I knew you meant the good kind. Was just meaning to express my hang-ups involving interacting with other nice enough people. Is it too late to turn this into a serious point about the difficulties of doing all the right stuff when feeling unusually anxious about everything?