Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:08:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Being so anxious about returning to work that you feel physically sick

Started by madhair60, July 08, 2020, 05:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on July 09, 2020, 04:13:58 PM
Sorry, I knew you meant the good kind. Was just meaning to express my hang-ups involving interacting with other nice enough people. Is it too late to turn this into a serious point about the difficulties of doing all the right stuff when feeling unusually anxious about everything?

I know the feeling, I can't stand that kind of "networking". Feels real greasy "hello who are you and how can I use you to advance me?" while the other person thinks the same thing. My idea of hell.

Sheffield Wednesday

Serious advice

I think you should really go for it with your writing and get a less stressful and depressing part time job to supplement. I think you should push your video content more, as well, and try to get yourself out there a bit more. I think you're pretty talented at that side and have a good voice for it, and you've got some well regarded people in your corner. There are some pretty average people out there with hundreds of thousands of subscribers who live off Patreon. You're also funny without being annoying (you're annoying in lots of different ways, of course, but not in your attempts to be funny). I could see you as an entertaining and insightful streamer and the shit games you like are really growing in popularity these days.

All the best with it, champ.

chveik

I agree with Bosto.

I think you're talented and if you could already manage to survive making stuff you're passionate about, you should give it a shot.

although I wouldn't probably take any advice from an unemployable fuck like me.

Bartholomew J Krishna

Follow your dream!
By which I mean, don't keep doing the thing that makes you ill.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on July 09, 2020, 05:28:49 PM

I think you should really go for it with your writing and get a less stressful and depressing part time job to supplement. I think you should push your video content more, as well, and try to get yourself out there a bit more.

Agree with this, particularly if you can support yourself on your writing alone. Your video stuff is very good, could definitely see it getting a much larger audience, probably just a question of visibility and the algorithm etc.

I agree with these cunts. Your writing is ace.

However...

It might be worth trying to understand why your job is making you so anxious. If it's factors entirely caused by the precise place, work and/or people then fucking it off is a no brainer. But if it's just the idea of work itself, you might want to address that or else you could find the same thing everywhere you go once the novelty of newness wears off. You need a coping mechanism.

A mate of mine fucked off a job that he hated, went to uni, graduated, got his dream job and the same anxieties crept back in and he ended up back at square one. No matter where you are, whatever you do, you still have to deal with dickheads and bullshit.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 09, 2020, 05:03:03 PM
I know the feeling, I can't stand that kind of "networking". Feels real greasy "hello who are you and how can I use you to advance me?" while the other person thinks the same thing. My idea of hell.

If I ever want to bum myself out, I read Linkedin. I swear to god, it's more damaging and insidious than Facebook and Twitter combined.

Rev+

Quote from: madhair60 on July 08, 2020, 05:08:45 PMI earn enough from my writing work to survive.

You've just got to keep rolling that fact around in your head.  I don't know your set-up (whether you're freelance and whatnot) so it may not be as stable or dependable as your other income, but if you can survive by doing something that doesn't do your nut in, you knew the answer before starting the thread.  You don't need us pricks.

If the reassurance - and income - from having something else on the go is important, never hesitate to go for something that many would tell you is 'below your abilities'.  I went from a ridiculously stressful and overburdened desk job for a shit company, had a bit of a crisis about what would look good on my CV, then just got a job sorting post.  Probably 'below my ablities', but it actually paid better, and the job completely ended 8 hours after each shift started.  It wasn't in my head once I walked out the door, there was nothing to worry about, you just come in for the next shift brand new.

Just had to make a similar decision about a voluntary job, of all things, which I'll potentially get to leave in October.  This isn't even for cash monies!  If you're in a situation that isn't healthy for you, you're in a situation that isn't healthy for you.

QDRPHNC

Someone else said it earlier, about less money sometimes equally more happiness. It's so true.

It's ingrained in us from a young age, more money = more happiness. At a certain point, perhaps when you have so much money you don't need to work any more, that could well be true. But for a lot of people, earning less at a job they don't hate is so much more valuable than anything the money could buy them.

pancreas

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 09, 2020, 03:56:51 PM
Difference between having a shiny suited gang of linkedin twats who you'd avoid like the plague in real life vs make some new mates at uni and knock about with them for a few years and when one of them gets in somewhere they can recommend you or tell you if their job is shit and don't bother. The former is miserable and I never do it, the latter is quite nice and useful. That's all I meant.

Do you not read anything madhair writes?

Chedney Honks

I just spotted your name on a popular review site so it seems you're actually getting some work, and it explains why you don't have any time/interest in discussing games on here any more. Good luck with it.

madhair60

Shitting hell lads right on the very cusp of fucking it off, though cancermum is giving me a massive guilt trip over causing her further worry so that's making me feel GREAT. Anyone else ever massively disappointed their cancermum?

Thomas

Chollis

Chedney Honks

Quote from: madhair60 on July 20, 2020, 10:24:40 AM
Shitting hell lads right on the very cusp of fucking it off, though cancermum is giving me a massive guilt trip over causing her further worry so that's making me feel GREAT. Anyone else ever massively disappointed their cancermum?

If you quit this job, would you realistically have more written work available to offset some of the lost pay? Or, if not, could you realistically and successfully spend some of the time you gained marketing yourself and pitching to other outlets?

If not, could you realistically take the financial hit, cut your cloth accordingly and simply enjoy the mental health benefits?

This is what it boils down to. You'll just have to be honest with your mum that it's making you really unhappy.