Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 04:02:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bought a Universal Fighting Board

Started by Sheffield Wednesday, July 08, 2020, 05:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheffield Wednesday

Dismantled my old stick PCB and cut through the ribbons.

Now I haven't got a fucking clue how to either connect half the fucking wires or USB lead or even attach the cunt PCB to the stick housing. I snapped the original PCB in half because I refused to retrace my steps and now I am just looking to buy a new stick so I can start again.

I think my old stick was actually a cunt.

What's the best alternative to throwing a molotov at the chest of someone you hate? I need it fast.

Sheffield Wednesday

First time I've ever felt really really angry in my life.

BlodwynPig

Aw man. My thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time :(
You've still got the UFB, look on the bright side. You just need to find a new house for it.
I'd grab something second hand on ebay, a lot of folk buy sticks thinking they're gonna be the next fighting game god but they never take the time to teach themselves and transition from pad.
you can find lots or people selling sticks as "barely used" and they're not lying.

Sheffield Wednesday

I only got it because I got a LS-62-01 for no reason and I effectively broke my LS-32 basically removing it so I've gone from a great stick in love to a load of parts and despair.

New stick housing is the plan now yeah. Something to do.

You just reminded me.
I bought one of them to try back in February, but it looked like I'd have to buy some weird mounting plate to get it into a qanba q4 so i just shovelled the whole mess into the cupboard as I was NOT in the mood.

I've got a spare LS-40 lying around so I'll stick that in when I get the chance. Get it up and running again.
Shame as I'd really like to have tried the LS-62, I've heard mixed reviews, some folk say the shorter throw and engage is just an illusion, it's only because the length of the stick is shorter, but I'd like to try it myself. I like screwing the sticks directly to the shell and not use a mounting plate in the qanbas, and if the stick is shorter, I don't want to be adding extra distance. I'll keep the stick for if I ever end up with a shell it's a lot easier to drop it into.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Ay, Brook, you can have that as your slogan "If it ain't Brook, fix it (or at least break it trying)"

Sheffield Wednesday

The 62 is crap, I can now confirm. Too stubby, can't get your fingers hardly round the ball top. Fucking shit show all round. I wish I just left well alone from all of this grotesque cuntery.

Aw man.
What a pain in the arse. Now you have to buy another 32?
All's well that ends well. You're on the home straight now. Once that's in you'll have a lovely low lag stick that you can use on loads of different consoles.
You'll never have to open the bastard thing again in your life.
I'm tempted to recommend you try the ls-40, but if that porridge ain't right, it might be the final straw!
Just play it safe, they're much of a muchness.

Sheffield Wednesday

I am tempted to give it a try, to be honest. Seems the actual stick switching is a piece of piss with the five pin connectors, much much easier than the 32 with all the spades and stuff.

I can see the 62 having plenty of value in something like Ikaruga to be honest, it feels more like a D-pad, so little precise nudges are good with it. It's just a bit crampy for me holding it for extended periods playing through a few stages. Obviously I never have that trouble with Ikaruga!

I've picked up a few wires and PCB feet and bits of shite so I'm not too far off, and I really like the actual stick itself, nicer size and weight to my old one. Feels less boxy.

I'm defo gonna pick up a 40 at some point, I totally rate your judgement on it.

Spiteface

Thinking of customising one of my sticks, as it goes. New art and a few other things

Been using JLFs in my fightsticks pretty much since I've used a stick for fighting games. My main two weapons of choice, a MadCatz TE2+ (acquired for a decent price right after MadCatz went under) and a Qanba Obsidian. Both have Sanwa JLF and OBSF buttons in them

I feel like trying things with the lever, wondering if maybe a shorter throw would help. Before I replace the lever entirely, there's these things:

https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/kowal-1mm-nylon-oversize-actuator-for-sanwa-jlf-series-joysticks.html

Some people have said they don't like these because the ABS used to make them wears down over time, others say that would only happen if you insist on riding the gate. I'm keeping to a square gate, as I only seem to ride the gate if it's an octagonal one.

That said, there's these aluminium ones:

https://paradisearcadeshop.com/home/controls/accessories-parts/joystick-actuators-shafts/762_oversized-jlf-actuator-set

But then I also want to try out a few Seimitsu sticks. Most of them will fit in the TE2+ and I think the Obsidian will accommodate them, too. I prefer the form of the Obsidian housing, but the TE2 is designed to open up for modding, so would make a better "test bed" so to speak.

Anyone tried one of those oversized actuators? Or lever recommendations for someone who mostly plays Street Fighter games?

Chedney Honks

I'd love to be able to reply with proper info but I play fighting games on pad, so I'm only shmupping, really. Seimitsu sticks are largely considered better for shmups but I would have thought JLF for fighters. Maybe Tekken would be OK with a stiffer input though, so Seimitsu worth a try.

Yeah, I'm the same, the only time I handle sanwa parts is when I'm ripping them out of second hand sticks or spitting on them on the way to the bin.

I've seen lots of people that prefer a tighter stick for fighting though. Like you, they'll either mod the jlf with a stiffer spring and a bigger actuator or experiment with other sticks.

There's a little chart here that might help guide you in the right direction of what to try.

I just had a quick scroll through this thread on shoryuken, and surprisingly most people are picking the LS-32 over the JLF! - https://forums.shoryuken.com/t/sanwa-jlf-or-seimitsu-ls-32-01-poll-please-vote-if-you-have-experienced-both/57957

The LS-40 is very similar but slightly betterer in my opinion and it doesn't have that issue where the stick will lift up when you push it too hard. maybe give one of those a go.

Spiteface

Useful stuff.

I've also been going off this, to make sure whatever I get actually fits my Obsidian:

https://support.focusattack.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000158526--Will-it-fit-Qanba-Obsidian-Edition

Think I'll try out an LS-56 - seems like it might be what I'm looking for, maybe chuck a few quid on some springs and an oversized actuator for a JLF, and compare the lot.

Chedney Honks

I had another play with the LS-62-01 and put in two Kowal short throw mods just for a laugh. It's clownishly stubby. The ultimate chode tier stick. Really funny. It plays pretty well now I also put a square gate in (think the octo gate was part of why I really didn't take to it at first) and it is definitely very responsive, it's just not especially comfortable with my grip. You have to basically hold it with your fingertips which feels...prissy.

My grip is just with my two fingers and a thumb and the rest of my hand just rests on the shell away from the stick so maybe I'd get away with that.
I think I've found my porridge with the ls-40, I'm happy and I'm playing well.
Do you have a champagne grip? That really does sound like we're discussing handjob techniques.
You gonna see if you can get used to it?
Don't want no short short man!

Chedney Honks

Mine is basically the ball top nestles in the first nuckle of my three fingers, with little finger out the way like I'm drinking tea like a ponce, which I often am. Thumb is there for support. If you ever saw bigshot's videos on using a stick, that's basically exactly how it feels most comfortable for me. It sounds like you could defo get on board with the 62, it does feel extremely precise and immediate and even more so with the short term throw. I reckon I'll keep my PS4 stick set up with it just for the odd occasion that I fancy a something different. If I ever feel like flogging it, I expect someone will be interested.

That said...the LS-40...

You're absolutely right. It feels just like the 32 but a bit tighter. I did also tighten up the ball top which was a slight issue on my old 360 stick and it just feels like I'm not thinking about it. Really really spot on, I should have tried it sooner so thanks for the subtle nudging. This is perfect for me. I wish I'd tried it in the 360 stick.

Anyway, I've got my other bits and bobs coming in the next couple of days so really looking forward to hooking it all up from scratch. Hopefully I'll manage not to kill this one!

Oh, good! That's made me happy. Everything's back to normal.

Chedney Honks

Really pleased with how it turned out and it works great.

All that's left is to plaster it with some appalling anime decals. 

Haha, I hope you're joking. It looks brilliant!
Hopefully that'll see you out and Brook release firmware updates for any future console you might buy.
Does this feel like your final stick? Mate, it looks belter. I'm well jel, I ain't got nothing that smart.

Chedney Honks

Cheers! It does feel like the endgame, defo. That LS-40 is absolutely spot on, like what I'm used to but just a bit tighter and more responsive. I really appreciate the recommendation there, absolutely perfect! I don't think I'll ever need to try any other buttons, either, they're just right. No effort, no accidental presses, minimal noise. Fingers crossed it works on the fucking next gen.

And yeah, I am joking but kind of open to a nice Chinese traditional ink wash painting because I'm a dork.

Spiteface

Chedney Honks

I was thinking of 'adult attack' from Berserk.

Spiteface

Berserk is good.

That reminds me, need to get the rest of those giant hardbacks of the Manga.

The red/black on white as it is looks sharp, though.

Chedney Honks

Cheers. I was just thinking some sumi-e artwork to complement the colour coding but I do like it like this. Very neat and tidy.

Also fancy those big hardbacks. I've got a load of the smaller versions but I prefer to read scans on my tablet, far cleaner and better paper white. The big uns look much better though, and great to have on the shelf.

Spiteface

I myself am torn between something traditional(ish) or simple and plain.

One idea I've had is using the samurai photo from cover of the Manics' album "Resistance is Futile" - been trying to "expand" the background so it will fill the front panel of my stick.

My other idea is to get one of these aluminium panels:

https://arcadeshock.com/products/high-grade-aluminum-control-panel-qanba-obsidian-vewlix

I briefly had a Hori Fighting Edge that I liked the aluminium panel on it, but it developed a fault after a week, I sent it back for a refund as there were no replacements in stock. So I thought I'd make my Obsidian into an inverted version of that, silver buttons and balltop on black, as opposed to the Hori's black-on-silver. They also make it in the noir layout, which I'd like more time with, as I never had a chance to get used to the Hori's noir layout. If I want to go back to the Vewlix style, I'll still have my TE2.